Fixed Angle System That Can Do Sword Length Blades?

They used to be part of a car's braking system ,I just enlarge existing holes . Vertical rods are from old shock absorbers , carbon fiber rod is from my old sleeping tent for fishing trips . I am car mechanic , so .............:)

Thinking outside the box, excellent!

I ended up going with a Hapstone V8 (magnetic table) and added a clamp table, clamps and Venev Centaur stone set as well. Pickins were very slim..the universal stone holder for KME is sold out, so KME was out. Also, many of the axe like tools (tomahawks) I have do not have flats that the KME would work well with. I'm hoping to be able to slide long blades along the magnetic table to be able to sharpen the whole length (basically the opposite of the KME axe sharpener but similar idea). I will likely fabricate a dedicated long blade sharpening system based on the KAK Britva design and using ideas from the gentleman who posted his diy sharpener. I will swap the Hapstone stone holder to the fabricated system as needed. Thank you everyone for the help!

I ended up going with ... (magnetic table) ...
Something to pay attention to ...
In my experiences, the magnetism transfers through the blade (metal swarth sticks to blade during sharpening and to itself) and pivot (metal swarth attracts to inside pivot assembly). Blade may need to be degaussed (aka de-magnetized) after sharpening to eliminate the blade & pivot continually attracting metallic dust in future (a horrid condition for anyone that uses grinding equipment).

I learned this years ago when installed neodymium magnets into the underside of table on EdgePro. I now reserve the use of magnetics during sharpening to clean-up duty AFTER sharpening.

It may take sharpening a few knives to notice the condition, comments here simply to make you aware of the potential.

Example of blade possibly in need of degaussing (less of an issue on knife w/o pivot assembly to trap/hold metal swarth):
Blade Degauss-720Wide.jpg

Something to pay attention to ...
In my experiences, the magnetism transfers through the blade (metal swarth sticks to blade during sharpening and to itself) and pivot (metal swarth attracts to inside pivot assembly). Blade may need to be degaussed (aka de-magnetized) after sharpening to eliminate the blade & pivot continually attracting metallic dust in future (a horrid condition for anyone that uses grinding equipment).

I learned this years ago when installed neodymium magnets into the underside of table on EdgePro. I now reserve the use of magnetics during sharpening to clean-up duty AFTER sharpening.

It may take sharpening a few knives to notice the condition, comments here simply to make you aware of the potential.

Example of blade possibly in need of degaussing (less of an issue on knife w/o pivot assembly to trap/hold metal swarth):
View attachment 1900990

I had heard about the magnets holding on to swarth but didn't even think about it magnetizing the blade, that makes sense though. I was planning to cover the magnets with painters tape to hopefully make clean up easier. I did order the clamp based rotating table as well, which I will likely use for everything but long machetes, sword length blades etc. because I can't see the magnets being as secure or accurate as mechanical clamping. Later down the line, I will either pick up the KAK Britva sword sharpening system (when or if it ever is availible again) or fabricate my own based heavily on the KAK Britva. I looked some more into diy systems and the parts are not as hard to piece together as I originally thought, most is readily availible off the shelf other than optimized clamps and the actual stone holder "keepers". This is going to be fun! I have alot to learn.

Last edited:
Back