Fixed Blade EDCs - How?

BRKT Highland in a leather pocket sheath with clip or on the belt in a horizontal leather sheath.

or

Anza Medium Hunter in horizontal belt sheath.

or

BRKT Mikro Canadian II in stock sheath dropped into pocket.

I routinely carry a Busse Game Warden in a simple kydex sheath on my belt. But to keep it in close to my body so my shirt will cover it, I carry it on the inside of my belt if that makes sense. I use a Tek-Lok.

Last edited:
My current fixed blade EDC is a BRKT Mini North Star, carried strong side in the stock leather sheath. Like Matt said, the sheath rides high and stays close to your body, so it's hard to see even under a relatively tight untucked shirt. It's a really well-designed knife too. :thumbup:

The horizontal, cross-draw position with a kydex sheath also works well for me. I've carried a few different fixed blades that way and might eventually get one for my Mini North Star. Bob Dozier probably makes the best cross-draw kydex sheath, but I haven't had any problems with ones that use a mini Tek-Lok.

I carry a Case Clip Point Hunter with orange G-10 scales and 4 inch blade in the factory leather sheath on my belt in the 4 o'clock position.

I don't own or have access to a digital camera (i'm behind the times, I know), so here's a picture of the knife with the factory sheath: (pic from newgraham)

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7232

I can't say enough good things about the sheath. Its amazing, especially considering that its a production sheath. It holds the knife close to my body so it doesn't print. It clicks (not audibly) into and out of the sheath effortlessely, yet won't fall out if you turn it upside down and shake it. Its really well made as well. It may not have the attention to detail that a custom leather sheath would, but it is definately at the same quality level.

I carry a variety of knives up to the size of my Dozier Straight Personal, all in horizontal sheaths.
I make my own sheaths and I copied the pattern of Bob Dozier's because it works so well.
Greg

NC law says I can't carry a fixed blade, but I do when I'm just bumming around the house. There, it's the MORA Swedish Army Knife. I just drop the sheath in my pocket (I have fairly big pockets)

Here's mine! Its every thing I need in a day to day Knife. The All Integral lovett-Loveless Connection Stiff Horn. Designed by RW Loveless

In fact I'm making one each up for both Bob and his Partner Jim Merritt.

IntegralStiffHorn.jpg

The only difference to the one Pictured here, is that they now have fine finger serrations on the bottom of the tang near the edge, and come with the Double Nude Loveless Approved Logo, rather than the Foot Ball shaped Logo.

Mike Lovett

i only(rarely) carry FB's in the fall winter and always either a bud nealy 5" M2 pesh kebz or amoeba, in MASS sytem sheaths, IWB SS.

Around the house a BRK&T Woodland Special, town knife is BRK&T Blackwater Boot Knife both carried in right front pocket in leather.

I checked at our County Sheriff's office - the AL state and Jefferson County law's mention intent, not size/type of knife. Birmingham, and other municipalities, limit self-opening. Basically, the detective at the courthouse said that as long as you didn't do yourself a serious injury sitting down, the fb wasn't too long! Anything small enough to be carried sheathed with a fire rod was certainly okay.

My favorite thus far, accepting the short handle, is the Bark River ~3.1" x .187" A-2 Huntsman - in a 'KSF Pocket Sheath' ($25). I also stretched the other, actually 3/8" slot, large enough to hold a Nuwaii/River Rock 2xAAA .5W LED flashlight ($10 @ Target.) (See below.). This has been an effective pocket carry, although it now rides mainly in a back pocket, where it does leave the tip of the handle exposed. It rides in a lower cargo pant's pocket otherwise, as my front pockets have other EDC goodies.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

Stainz

Back