Fixed Blade or Folder?

Which is better – the fixed blade or the folder knife?

Boar-Hunter-Knife.jpg

American-Lawman-Mini-Folder.jpg

For what purpose? This is like asking which is better, a race car or a hybrid? First we need to know what you are going to do with it.

The Boar Hunter is a very large knife, designed I suspect purely for combat.

The Mini-Lawman is a fairly typical tactical folder, which would probably serve reasonably well as an EDC.

If you are going to use the fixed blade for edc, I recommend going with a smaller one. I'm with the other member that said get both, you can either swap them out or carry at the same time.

Depends on function, a smaller fixed blade is just as handy as a large folder, but the smaller to medium folder is just more compact and can do a lot of work. I myself prefer fixed blades, but I also have a Swiss Army knife that fits the pocket nicely. My favorite is a small fixed with a medium folder in a pocket sheath. Just because I like more than one knife, not that i need both, just what I like for fun.

For what purpose? This is like asking which is better, a race car or a hybrid? First we need to know what you are going to do with it.

The Boar Hunter is a very large knife, designed I suspect purely for combat.

The Mini-Lawman is a fairly typical tactical folder, which would probably serve reasonably well as an EDC.

This. Better for what?

One is a medium sized folder that would be much easier to carry and more appropriate for edc tasks. The other is a medium/large fixed blade which is more suited to tougher, outdoors settings but would be wholely inappropriate for walking around town.

Those in particular, or in general? In general I prefer folders for convenience, legalities and social taboos, but I'm not under any illusion that a folder is a true substitute for a fixed blade.

That said, I do most of my daily cutting with a smallish slipjoint, but for hiking or and camping, I'll always want a proper belt knife.

Marci would have the answer. :D Where the heck IS he? :confused: In general (again) a fixed blade will do what a folder will but not visa-versa.

I choose fixed 98.8% of the time. But the fixed you posted...Hmm...I would go Mini Lawman :)

Of those two - the first one is better if you are planning to be hunting boars with a knife. The second is better if you want to carry a knife in your pocket that is more suitable for daily cutting tasks.

What everyone here said. Also, I own the CS OSS and I can tell you right now the cutting leverage on that Boar Hunter is something awful. Unless you're stabbing hogs, I wouldn't get it.

If you are honestly thinking about carrying a fixed blade as an EDC, you might want to research things a bit unless your carry is purely in a woods or rural setting. Folding knives are much more handy to carry and work perfectly well except for very rigorous cutting tasks or self defense. Everything is a trade off as to need and the environment you are more likely to be carrying and using a knife.

Of those two knives, I'd take the folder personally. As to which is "better", that is something you'll have to decide for yourself for the most part.

Always fixed if laws, carry convenience, etc. did not matter; unfortunately, carrying fixed is not always convenient...

Back