Fixed Blade vs Folders

What is your personal preference? I know they're used for different tasks, but I just figured I'd get opinions. And what's your favorite knife in
Each category?

I like them both for their respective tasks, I don't edc a fixed typically and I don't camp with a folder typically.
My favorite folder was my para 2, but that changed when I recently got my mini ritter griptilian.
Fixed blade, out of what I have its my brous blades silent soldier neck knife. I'd like to get an izula or something a little smaller, and a Jungalas.

Last edited:
In my experience fixed blades kick the crap out of folders at just about everything. The only factor that gives folders an edge is convenience, it's just that they tend to have a really, really big edge in that department for me which is why I carry them over fixed blades most of the time.

My duty carry is a Benchmade Rift. TPTB frown on exposed fixed knives, and although I love small fixed blades in a pocket holster, pockets are hard to get to wearing a gun belt. I dont see folders and fixed blades of similar size being used for different purposes.

Not legal to carry fixed blades where I live, so I have a lot of folders. I do have a bunch of fixed blades too, I just don't have as much opportunity to use them.

I have carried a variety of many of the common folding knife brands over the last twenty odd years, spyderco, benchmade, cold steel, and buck brands most frequently. I can honestly say that i have never had one of these US or Japanese made quality knives fail me, or in other words, fall apart or break to the point of not being usable when put to work within their scope of design.

But despite this I am finding myself strapping on a fixed blade on a regular basis now, there is something very reassuring about that hard use tool on your belt that could withstand truly extreme abuse and likely survive to be used again. Now no doubt some "bombproof" folders exist that push the limits of folding knife toughness, but it seems to me that the size and weight of these types, small size and light weight being the two biggest advantages of folders, starts to reach into the upper limit of the law of diminishing returns, and for a small increase in weight you could carry an even more bombproof fixed. (how much "bombproof" you need is subjective I guess)

Nothing against anyones choices, it is awesome to have so many choices, to be sure! I am just going to carry one of each and keep all my bases covered!

I've always favoured fixed blade knives over folders. I just find them better at everything except concealment. Plus I think there's a cultural bias against folding knives amongst old school knife users down here in Argentina, our traditional knives are big fixed blades.

I spent most of my life living in rural areas and working outdoors, in places where nobody cared if you had a big knife on your belt since everybody did. I even got grounded as a kid for going out with my horse without my knife.

I've been using folders a lot more in the past few years, since I had to move to a large city. I like them, but I still think a proper fixed blade would work better.

Fixed blades are generally more durable and going to be much better choices when prolonged use and durability is an issue. However, folders are typically more fun to play with, more compact, and more-often legal. So the answer is: BOTH. :D

I prefer folders. I don't own a fixed blade and even though I've debated getting a fixed blade, I likely won't.
I just like folders for their simplicity, locking, and being able to carry most of them comfortably in my pocket.
I will do everything I need to do with a folder. =]

I carry and use both. I own more folders, but mostly because I'm very, VERY picky about my fixed blades.

I have been a big folder..Caly 3, dragonfly usually after dozens of different spydercos,benchmade, william henry knives and expensive folders and recently been hooked on small fixed blades. I bought 2 cheap ones an eBay Benchmark backpacker and cold steel Pendleton hunter and I'm hooked...I like the solid feel..no movement in blade, easier to clean and folders get dirtier from being in pocket and cleaning is more...I been eyeballing a bark river little creek now.

Size compare to caly 3.
20130208_235708.jpg

I hated folders for most of my life, but thanks to you guys and gals, I've rediscovered them. Folder for everyday stuff, fixed blade for the woods, or maybe both.

A fixed blade is great for Edc tasks. A folder is great for....folding up to save room in your purse?

fixed blades just feel good on the belt, I carry one for most of the year and daily during winter months. Folders are convenient, but fixed blades are more practical. I spend alot of time on frozen lakes and waterways and a fixed blade will give one a better chance of survival when going through the ice. It happenned on a beaver pond and I couldn't get a grip on the slippery crumbling ice, but with the knife I could stab it into the ice giving me a handhold to pull myself out of the hole. Since then I always carry a fixed blade whenever I might find myself out on 'hardwater'.

Not legal to carry fixed blades where I live, so I have a lot of folders. I do have a bunch of fixed blades too, I just don't have as much opportunity to use them.
This ^^^

As much as I like fixed blades, I'm moving away from them and toward folders for the simple reason gooeytek stated in his post. Having said that, no folder will ever replace the Camp Tramp in my Home BOB and the RMD in my Vehicle BOB.

When the going gets tough, the tough use Bussekins! :)

Given a real choice based on society I would choose a fixed blade over a folder if it wouldn't be a problem.

Not legal to carry fixed blades where I live...

There must be some special knife laws out on Long Island that I'm not aware of.

Even NYC allows Fixed blades, within certain limits and carry restrictions.

Big Mike

Back