Fixed blade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Bhickman9867, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Bhickman9867

Bhickman9867 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2019
    Hello knife world,
    I am looking for a nice bushcraft knife, 200 and under or around that price point. I have a fair amount of knowledge about the folding world but none when it comes to fixed blades. So what is your favorites, and most of all WHY?

2. Captains1911

Captains1911

Nov 17, 2012
    I like Becker and Esse. What general blade length are you looking for?

3. steelhead seeker

steelhead seeker

Aug 1, 2014
    I was in the same boat a while ago and the search began. I've always wanted an Esse or a LT Wright but during my search I hit the knife makers market on here and found the tfk knives...went to his website and saw the T7 and you know how sometimes a knife just speaks to you. I knew as soon as I saw it that's what I needed. Unfortunately this pandemic hit right after he shipped it and I still dont have it yet but it is on the way. So yeah theres lots of good 'big' manufacturers that make good knives like the Becker's, Esse's, LT Wright, Tops, white river, bark river and so on. But check out the knife makers market on here and see if something speaks to you on there. Sometimes it's nice having something a little different.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    jkwithawave and Scott J. like this.
  4. Bhickman9867

Nov 9, 2019
    Probably 5-6 inch blade. I have heard good things about the fallkniven f1

5. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    L.T. Wright.

6. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Becker BK62, absolutely love that knife, perfect balance, decent steel and totally utilitarian, possibly the best Kephart knife in production.

Henry Beige likes this.
  7. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    Benchmade Puuko is good

with that kind of budget ...many options. Tops BOB

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Alberta Ed likes this.
  8. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Bradford Knives is a great company... I've had "many" of his 3-4" blades, but he also makes longer blades, 5-6" at about your max.
    ...Outstanding quality; nice folks.

Lee D likes this.
  9. palmerdl

palmerdl Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2009
    F1 is great, but 4". You can find them on the second hand market all the time. Not a very stylish sheath, but quite usable.

10. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel SRK in CPM-3V.

3V is one of the toughest steels you can get, SRK has been around for ages and is tested and proven, and it's in your budget.

11. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Definitely a bit on the cheaper side, but my Mora Kansbol serves me well. It has a comfortable handle for long sessions of whittling, and the blade geometry works great too.

Henry Beige likes this.
  12. bemymonkey

bemymonkey

Nov 12, 2012
  13. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    LT Wright knives or Battlehorse, good variety. Please check the exchange, you can find a lot of nice knives by makers for really good prices, also the individual fixed blade section too.

Edited.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  14. rustyspike

rustyspike

Jan 17, 2016
    For a Bushcraft knife look into a Scandi Grind. This shape grind in intended for buschcraft type work. I have a Helle Eggen mid level price and a Mora very inexpensive with this grind.

Rich K.

knoefz likes this.
  15. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    Are you looking to learn bushcraft, or add a bushcraft knife to your collection?

To learn bushcraft, start with a $15 Mora. If collecting, then what everyone else said.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  16. Bhickman9867

Nov 9, 2019
    I ended up buying a Benchmade puukko 200. I really liked the versatility. It’s an ideal side carry for me. I would also like to in the near future go to the next size up. Instead of a 4 in blade I would be looking me around the 5.5 to 6. Ideas?

Alberta Ed likes this.
  17. JamesofArc

JamesofArc

Apr 19, 2016
    Buy something really expensive and then learn that a cheaper knife can do the job just as well but cheaper.
    Buy a super tomahawk machine gun commando Bussy for the price of your family's monthly electric and grocery bill to realize after setting in a chair for three nights in a row playing with it that a BK9 for $100 is more what your wanting pulse you can change the handle material around to reflect any mood your in. Blue for happy days and black for when your kind of down.
    OR you could just start off smart and get a Ontario SP10 Marine Raider and a BlackJack 125...........may want to add a Stockman folder to clean your ears with.

Smiling likes this.
  18. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    For $200 there are some knice knives you can get that would serve your purposes. The Becker BK62 is really one great knife that makes you think of Horace Kepthart (and Ethan Becker) every time you pick it up; it simple and beautiful at the same time.

That being said, there are many choices out there, such as those mentioned in this thread. I always liked the becker BK-16 and, with fairly easy online shopping, you could get a BK-16 AND and BK-62 having a work horse and and show horse - not that the latter can't peform.

Now, if afield, a BK-9 (The King) along with a BK-16 or BK-62 would serve your needs well. A 9 and a 16 would put you right around $200 while the 9 and a 62 may just be a tad over, but not much.

19. Bhickman9867

Nov 9, 2019
    It’s easy to talk big online.

20. ScottsBad

ScottsBad Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 13, 2015
    There is a new LT Wright model called Illuminous 5. Its a 5.7" 3V blade with a very comfortable handle and weighs about 10.5 oz. I've had mine for a few weeks and it's become my favorite all around medium outdoor knife. It has some heft to it which is nice because it can take hard batoning, do light chopping, while being capable of many bush crafting chores.
    https://www.ltwrightknives.com/illuminous-5.html

Since you already bought the BM 200, you might want to go with something that has a little chopping capability. Benchmade just announced the new 202 Leuku (https://www.benchmade.com/202-leuku.html), but in my opinion it is very light, too light to chop with.

I suggest something in the 6.5" to 7.5" that weighs between 10 and 16 ounces. That can still be used for some small tasks, but also used to remove small limbs, snap chop sticks, and chop points on tent stakes. Here are some examples of the knives I use for these chores, from favorite to less favorite are:

- Bark River Bravo Tope Recon in 3V - Looks awkward, weighs around 14 oz., but it is fantastic for all those small wood gathering and processing chores and it chops above its weight (I use a Silky saw for big stuff). Great handle and great convex 3V grind.

- Bark River Bravo Survivor 3V - Very capable survival knife and nearly indestructible. Some folks (including me) don't care for the un-modified handle, but I just rounded the sharp edges at the rear and removed the ramp, BOOM, its now tied as my favorite large survival knife. 7" convex 3V blade at about 16 oz. It is a very usable compact beast.

- Busse - The NFNO and Basic 8 are my next two favorites, but they are hard to acquire and expensive.

Anyway, check out the Illuminous for an all around outdoor knife.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020