Fixed blade

Thank you for the information. I didn’t buy the Benchmade simply because it was a Benchmade. I collect knives and it has the steel I was wanting, 3v, and the style, puukko, and also liked that grip better than the wooden tops puukkko. So that’s why I chose it. That being said I’m not a big fan of Benchmade because they are generally overpriced for what you get.

Benchmade puukko is a great choice - I made a sturdier sheath for mine (used the one it came with for a pattern). I'd rely on it a backpack trip anywhere.

I do really like that lt Wright illuminous 5. It looks like a great knife. I love the cpm 3v steel.

So far its been great. Its my first LT Wright. I actually prefer the convex grinds that Bark River Knives uses, but the reason I decided to try the Illuminous is the wide 3V blade, blade shape, and generous handle (I have L-XL hands). I'm a collector too, but all my knives get used, no safe queens.

Check out Bark River Knives they have a huge selection. DLT and KnivesShipFree are the two biggest BRK dealers.

Anyway, happy knife hunting.

One more vote for a Scandi LT Wright. They are worth the money and less expensive than the equivalent Bark River.

One more vote for a Scandi LT Wright. They are worth the money and less expensive than the equivalent Bark River.

You know, LT Wright makes very good knives, but a scandi grind is not always optimal for me. As I said I actually prefer a convex sabre grind like BRK uses.

I don't think LT Wright is cheaper. The Illuminous is $250, and Bark River Bravo 1.5 in 3V is $269, the Aurora II (also 3V) is $255 and convex is harder to grind

The other thing is that LT Wright doesn't make many of the knives I want in 3V. I really don't want to spend that kind of money on 01 tool steel or AEB L although AEB L is not bad.

in the case of the Illuminous 5, the planets all aligned and I thought I'd give the scandi a try. Its a good blade but it'll eventually end up more like a scandi-vex.

I really like the Illuminous 5 a lot however.

Last edited:
Back