Flashlights

I like the survival kit/bob thread, but wanted to start this one to talk specifically about flashlights since there's so much content.

I'm in the market for some flashlights for edc, car, pack, house, family, etc. I want to order 5-6 lights ranging from $10-$60 each. I'll most likely stick to AA/AAA since they're readily available.

I was thinking of ordering a few Fenix E01 for my mom, sisters, and girlfriend. There's a group buy on calguns for $10 each right now. If there's something comparable, please let me know.

For myself for EDC, I want to pick up a nightcore D11.2 (although there seems to be a battery drainage issue at the moment), fenix LD10, 4sevens Preon, or this XM-L Xeno E03 (http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...!!!-500LM-AA-14500-Pocket-Rocket!-(CW-NW-WW!)). Pretty sure I can't go wrong with either one.

Then I wanted to get something a little bigger for bed side, car, pack, etc. I guess I'm really limiting myself by sticking to AA/AAA, but I don't want to get into the lithium/nimh mess. There's so much details about charging, discharging, amps, volts, protected, unprotected, I get a headache trying to figure it out.

What light do you pack?

As an alternative to the E01 (I have one also) take a look at the ITP A3 EOS R2 Upgrade edtion. You can find it at batteryjunction.com and several other stores, I've had good luck with BJ though. The low is about the same brightness as the E01 in its single mode, high is very bright for a single AAA lasts an hour, and the medium is a good in between, seems about twice as bright as the low mode. runs about $20, double the price but definitely worth it IMO. Carry this on my keys, replacing my E01. Comes with pocket clip and keychain.

The other I carry as my main edc is the Zebralight SC51, 6 different modes, up to 200 lumens for an hour or 16 days continuously, awesome light, comes with a pocket clip and headband so you can use it as a headlamp as well. Just 1xAA, $64 from their website with free shipping.:thumbup:

I edc an Elzetta 2 cell with crenulated bezel and Malkoff M60 Warm Flood drop in. My camp Light is from Oveready.com, Surefire 9P (BBQ Black Cerakote) with matching extender and Malkoff M91 Warm drop in (500 Lumens). The 9p without extender allows me to run 3 CR123s and with the extender I can run 2 x 18650s for about three hour run time. I might be a flashlight nerd.

Did I read that right? The XM-L Xeno E03 has a max output of 490 lumens. That is a lot of output for a single cell battery. The ITP A3 is a great light. I actually have a few of them in various jacket pockets. I just wish that they would make something similar with a tail switch.

Speaking of which... Does anyone know of a AAA light with a tail switch and pocket clip? That would be my perfect EDC light.

Thanks! That is my new light right there. I don't see the clickie version on the Sevens sight though.

Ah, yeah, I suggested the preon earlier in the other death chat thread, but forgot about the clicky requirement. I didn't even know they made separate clicky caps for the Preons. Nice :thumbup:

I have several of both the Fenix EO1s and the iTP A3 EOS upgrades. I got the iTPs to replace the EO1s, and I think for not much more cost, they offer so much more functionality. I'd definitely go with the iTP over the EO1. For such a small form factor, you get a light with 3 levels, easy user interface that doesn't pre-flash or anything. I like using the low level to read while commuting at night, or when I want a little light without ruining my night vision. The mid level is good all around, and the bright is more than useful enough for me in a light that tiny. I think it's a great deal.

As to what I carry. I carry Surefire E2DL in my EDC pack, along with 6 extra CR123s. I also carry a Petzl headlamp though, which takes AAA. So in the extreme case that my extra 123s don't last me, I'll always have the headlamp. I carry a Quark Mini 123 in neutral on my keychain, that one goes with me everywhere. It's a great light. Aside from the pre-flash issue, I love it. I used to carry a iTP A3 EOS in my pack as well for reading-at-night duty, but I think I gave it away to a friend in an attempt to get him hooked on lights :D

In my hiking pack, I always carry a Princeton Tec EOS Rebel in the 70lumen running on lithium AAAs with extra batteries. Nice, waterproof, headlamp. I also usually have the Quark Mini 123 on me as well since it's on my keychain. If I'm camping or I know I'll be out at night, I'll bring my Quark 2xAA as well, also running on lithium primaries.

In the car kit, I have a 4D maglite. Unfortunately, it's the LED version, so I can't get a Malkoff drop-in :grumpy: Works nicely as a bludgeon too. I also have my old mini-maglite LED in my grab-and-go kit at the top of the kit bin. Might also be one or two crappy Gerber flashlights at the bottom of the bin too. My old Fenix L2D Q5 is in the glove compartment. It's a nice light, but you have to run it on alkalines to take advantage of the lowest level...it can't handle the lithiums.

At home, I have a Surefire G2L w/ clicky on the nightstand. I also put a lanyard on it with a tritium fob, so I can always find the black-bodied light in the dark immediately upon waking (if it's knocked/shaken from it's normal place).

And of course, I have various cheapie $1 coin cell leds and Photon lights spread throughout my gear and the apartment. :D

The tailcap is sold separately here: http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332_337

I really used to love 4sevens, but now I only find value in their Mini and Preon lines. The Regular and the Tactical lines have terrible User Interfaces and I definitely dislike it

MRPink, I've had a EX10 and then a D11. While the EX10 was a great light, the D11 proved to be much heavier than I wanted it to be. The weight without battery is 2 times of that of a 4sevens MiniAA with battery. If i pocket that, it'll swing freely and knock around on things, much like carrying a roll of quarters. Anyhow, I think you'll be pleased with the 11.2 Interface, as that's the one I fell in love with because of the ease of going Min and Max in a second

Ban, if you want something that gives you a truckload of lumens, you might want to look into the Thrunite Neutron series. The UI is a modified version of the Quark's regular type, and I like it much more since it wouldn't switch mode just from turning on and off. 450Lumens with Li-Ions in CR123 and AA form, your choice!

Excellent review here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...C-2C-1A-2A-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!

The Streamlight Microstream is an excellent bang for your buck edc light as well. AAA, Pocket clip, Tail Switch. I've put mine through the ringer, swimming in the ocean, beach camping for a week, plus being carried everywere I go. I swooped mine from amazon for 15 bucks. I'm a fan of the preon 1 as well, but it stays in my pack mostly as a back up for my microstream.

Ooooh Those Neutrons look good...

Aside from the XM-L performance, I like the memory for last-used-setting, that's nice :thumbup:

ETA: Man, it's been a while since I've looked at flashlight stuff....oh no, it's sucking me back.... :D

Last edited:
by the way guys, don't buy 4seens lights from their website, you can find them much cheaper elsewhere (they refuse to sell below msrp so as to not undercut their dealers)

The Streamlight Microstream is an excellent bang for your buck edc light as well. AAA, Pocket clip, Tail Switch. I've put mine through the ringer, swimming in the ocean, beach camping for a week, plus being carried everywere I go. I swooped mine from amazon for 15 bucks. I'm a fan of the preon 1 as well, but it stays in my pack mostly as a back up for my microstream.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have a Streamlight TLR-1s and I love it. They make good products, I'll definitely have to pick up a Microstream now.

Ban, check it out! http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=144

Last edited:
Man, I really like that Streamlight Microstream. Has everything I want and priced decently. Gonna have to pic up a few of them.

Those Thrunite Neutrons look awesome as well. I may have to get one of those as well. I have a Thrunite Catapult in my car as a search light. Super sturdy and packs a whallop both physically and in lumens ;)

That LD03 would be a really good one. I don't really dig the stainless look though. In the meantime I think the Microstream will be my choice.

Streamlight Stylus Pro (around $20) and 4Sevens Preon 2 both use AAAs and I have personally EDC'd both of them & they are both excellent.

Those Thrunite Neutrons look awesome as well. I may have to get one of those as well. I have a Thrunite Catapult in my car as a search light. Super sturdy and packs a whallop both physically and in lumens ;)

Bingo! That's my avatar.

Catapult V3, with super deep knurling

I can't believe the Neutrons only cost around $60, being way superior to the Quark line in terms of construction, driver and LED

Go Thrunite!

Back