Flashlights

Heres a group shot of some of my flashlights, have a couple more of them in car and in other various places I was to lazy to get.

IMG_2445.jpg

And heres a pic of a local flashlight get together in San Jose with some Candlepower forum people.

IMG_1851.jpg

Funny how often knife people are also flashlight people.... :)

ETA: Shoot, know I want a big bright beasty for the car, eyeing that ThruNite Catapult now. Ban, is that the one we played with at your shop?

Last edited:
In regards to the streamlight microstream, if you got a Fenix L0D, you can swap the head onto the microstream and get the ultimate 1x AAA light.

Conveniently enough, I do have a Fenix L0D. I'm going to have to try that out. Thanks, Mr. Pink.

Funny how often knife people are also flashlight people.... :)

ETA: Shoot, know I want a big bright beasty for the car, eyeing that ThruNite Catapult now. Ban, is that the one we played with at your shop?

Yep that was the one. Just ordered three of the old style streamlight microstreams. The extra 8 lumens and funky double sided pocket clip was not enough to sway me from the older tried and true version.

I'm about to order the newer version, the double sided pocket clip doesn't seem to stick out much further than the original. And theoretically 20 to 28 lumens is 40% brighter. Just can't decide if I should order 1 or 2 since I'll be ordering a Fenix too... It's just paying $7 shipping for a $16 light is stupid!

My streamlight microstream and fenix e01 are on the way, can't wait to get them!

I almost ordered the thrunite neutron aa, but waiting to get more feedback from the new XM-L technology. There are lights coming out advertising ~400 lumens on a single cell for around ~$30.

View attachment 216069View attachment 216068
Gentlemen, this is what I have carried for the last few years and cost was just under $70. It puts out 200 lumens supposedly for 64 hours and takes 4 AAA batteries. It can be used in broad flood or focused spot beam. Maybe not as impressive as some I've seen mentioned here but it gives me a shameless excuse to show off my new choiless BT4!
Jack

Waiting for my Streamlight Microstreams and also ordered a Fenix LD03. I am hoping that these will be small enough that I will actually carry them around. Will probably put the microstream in my workpants and the LD03 in my jean pocket. Can't wait to try them out.

Man, I really like that Streamlight Microstream. Has everything I want and priced decently. Gonna have to pic up a few of them.

Those Thrunite Neutrons look awesome as well. I may have to get one of those as well. I have a Thrunite Catapult in my car as a search light. Super sturdy and packs a whallop both physically and in lumens ;)

I bought the 1 cell Neutron. Bright. Built strong, BUT the silly clip scrapes on the head each time you turn it! Useless! I sent it back super-fast.
Eagerly awaiting a Fenix or 4Sevens or Streamlight with 2AA's and an XM-L. MY IDEAL LIGHT
All in all. I like Fenix builds, but 4Sevens power/battery life ratios.
And my experience is that the long slender 2AA's are way easier to switch on and hold/use.

I tried reading up on the CP Forums, and it seems they are speaking greek. I was looking at the ThruNite Catapult, but could not understand the differences once the guys started talking about battery types, and such.

What are the things you guys look for in a flashlight/batteries?

Yeah all that technical flashlight stuff confuse me as well. I have a Thrunite Catapult and I love it. Ridiculous amount of throw and lumens. I chose it because of its thicker and sturdier build. I also like that fact that it only has 2 simple modes. High and Low is really all I ever need. Not into all the fancy SOS, strob, variable settings, etc.... It is my club/search light ;)

I tried reading up on the CP Forums, and it seems they are speaking greek. I was looking at the ThruNite Catapult, but could not understand the differences once the guys started talking about battery types, and such.

What are the things you guys look for in a flashlight/batteries?

AA is my best. Always available. Cheap. And Lithium Energizers last LONG. In an emergency you'll find some somewhere. And you can get Eneloops - Fantastic!
AAA next best
All the modern LED flashlights that use AA's are bright enough for almost any domestic use. (makes my old MAG's look sick!)
For me mandatory is a very low lumen mode. 1 lumen or under. Great for tucking in my kiddies at night.
I am very interested in output/battery life rations. For this, 4Sevens seem to kill the competition (they also do the ultra low lumen mode)
I prefer tail switches to twisty types.
I like it to be able to tail stand.
Keychain is another story (simple - Fenix E05)

Looking at buying some Eneloop batteries, but the info on chargers for them is crazy. The Maha MH-C9000 is nice, but looking to spend around $20-$30 only.

Back