Flat, deep carry EDC

I'm looking for a good EDC knife. My focus has always been custom knives, so I'm hoping to leverage your collective knowledge and passion on production knives. I have a small Sebenza which I love, and I'd like to vary things a bit. Here are features I'm interested in:
- Quality build
- Flat profile
- Deep carry clip
- No dedicated flipper
- Thumbdisk or spydie-hole preferred
- not too heavy
- colors are cool

If I didn't already have a mini Seb, I'd get one (despite the fact that it doesn't check all the boxes).

Thank you.

I would recommend a Benchmade 940 series. It does not check all of your boxes but hits most of them. The blade to handle ratio is amazing, too. One of BM's better classic designs.

How about a LionSteel TiSpine? It's only a half ounce heavier than a small sebby, it's fairly thin, well made, different enough (half inch more blade, integral), has an opening hole, a deep carry clip,and comes in a variety of colors and blade steel options. I carry this one sometimes and quite like it:

3NGbG2o.jpg

A cheaper option: Cold Steel American Lawman. Not quite "deep" carry, but it certainly doesn't leave much sticking out. The "thinnest" knife I own at just .39" handle thickness. Under four ounce weight (no liners), arguably the strongest lock in the business, CTS-XHP steel and under $100 USD. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyderco police is about as flat as it gets I believe, the all steel model will be a little heavy though.

The new Spyderco D'Allara 3 is very thin with deep carry.

Spyderco Mantra 1 or Hap40 delica?

I'm liking the TiSpine best so far.

What's the consensus on the RS2?

You could do worse, IMO it's a beautiful knife, and integrals are kind of neat. Here's another shot of mine:

qqH1R5y.jpg

I have a Blackwater Aculus, a version of the Tispine. It is a very nice, well built knife that carries well and I enjoy using. Definitely worth checking out.

Based only on what I have, I'll second the Chaparral. But then I'm not coming from the custom knife world. However, there is always the stepped Ti version for a different look and a lot more cash. It's actually a knife that I didn't really expect to like it as much as I do.

vnjqzc.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

Well i dont have the sr2 so i cant say for the size. But i have the sr1 and i can tell you its not flat its rather fat actually

Instead of the spyderco chaparral you could hold out a few months for the spyderco caly sprint run in HAP 40. Grey g10 scales I believe. I have a lot of knives that cost a lot more than my caly 3.5, but not many that feel better in my pocket and in my hand. HAP 40 is some good stuff too. IMO it's one of the best designs spyderco had ever done.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Based only on what I have, I'll second the Chaparral. But then I'm not coming from the custom knife world. However, there is always the stepped Ti version for a different look and a lot more cash. It's actually a knife that I didn't really expect to like it as much as I do.

The Chaparral series are nice little knives, but I wouldn't recommend the stepped titanium variety. I have one and the stepped titanium is very rough on pants if you carry it clipped. I had to bend the clip out a bit, it was entirely too grabby. Here is mine:

OqrZulv.jpg

I would say that the Spyderco Centofante 3 is a good candidate, minus the deep carry clip. It is flat, light, classy, solid and the embebed spyderco logo (metal, but don't know which one) gives it a nice touch. And it is cheeeeeeeeeeap (compared to other options, of course).

Even though I have tougher, more aggresive knives... when I go climbing and don't expect to cut ropes, I usually take the Centofante, it rides almost unnoticed in my pocket (lays flat and weights next to nothing).

Mikel

Back