Flat grind versus Hollow grind

Did anyone here argue that the grind they don't do is better?
smile.gif

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
www.hossom.com/gallery
The New Tom & Jerry Show

Joe when you do your testing try a peice of PVC pipe, cut both ways through it and down it. This is the stufff I really saw anot a difference. Well I kind of did and the flat was the worst of the 3. Kind of surprized me. As it gets thicker faster it started to bind quicker. As the thick part of the hollow grinds got down to the start of the cut the wedging of the cutting edge was far enough down to give the uper thick part room to get into the cut. Is that clear or understandable? Ummm don't know how to say it . Give it a try hopefully you will see
smile.gif

Okay guys I personally flat grind. But what is a convex?

------------------
" I am a shootist."
Clay Allison
" Does this mean we are bladists?"
Vaquero57
McAlpin Bladesmithing

Convex is like a flat grind that is bowed out.
Re-reading Joes post I think we do agree. A thick wedgie sabre grind, of any type, flat hollow convex, is not the best cutter.

The convex grind is the opposite of the hollow (concave) grind. Sounds to me that the best of all worlds here would be the flat grind and special purpose knives would get the grind most suited to that use.
For an all-purpose knife though it seems like we'd have to decide what the most common purpose of most knives is before you made a statement like I did!-Guy Thomas

I thought razors were hollow ground so that you could use the spine of it as a built in angle guide for sharpening to get that perfect 10 degree angle everytime. I have a hatchet that has a thick convex edge but I can still get it just as sharp. I have even shaved with it while camping.

------------------
I'm a Schizophrenic and so am I

I like the way flat grinds look. Which grind cuts better is harder for me to determine. I would say they're all good if properly ground, heat treated, and sharpened.

Back