Flippers that don't use frame or liner locks?

Planterz

Іди на хуй Путін!
Platinum Member
My BM 940D2CF is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I've been thinking of getting something new. I like the idea of a flipper, especially one that runs on bearings, but there's one problem with them:

I hate frame and liner locks.

It's been years since I've even handled one, even longer since I owned one. My issue is that you have to put your thumb or finger in the path of the blade when closing it. I got bit so many times because of the awkward motions required. And none of them that I owned, except perhaps the Microtech SOCOM D/A, had a blade that swung as freely as a flipper should.

For the last few years I've mainly focused on traditionals without paying attention to modern folders. There's so many new knives and even new companies that I'm ignorant of because I haven't been in the market for several years.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Thin/narrow/light. I don't want an overbuilt brick. My all-time favorite EDC is the afore mentioned 940D2CF, so think along those lines.

Thin, acute cutting profile, with a tip-forward edge. I want something that slices, not a folding prybar. I don't like a lot of belly, especially towards the tip. Again, like the 940 blade. Or Kershaw Leek, Microtech LCC, Zulu/tribal spear, etc. But not a true wharncliffe or sheepsfoot.

Good steel. Duh. I'm not a steel snob, but I don't want junk. VG-10 or better.

Unassisted flipper with a fast action, preferably bearings.

Lock other than liner or framelock. One of the reasons I like my 940 so much is that with the unassisted AXIS lock you can easily flick it open and closed with one hand and without putting any part of your hand in the path of the blade.

No customs. I'm not looking for something cheap, but I don't want to go crazy. A good knife for a good price. No Cold Steel either. @#$% Cold Steel.

So please, I'm looking for ideas. Or should I just get another 940? I do like the 940-1 or the Knifeworks exclusive blue/black G10 with CPM 20CV.

Thanks.

Cold Steel..uh, yeah..anyway.
All I have now for EDC are flippers. Once you use them, thumb studs are a thing of the past.
Mine are all frame and liner locks. Can't really help you but hope you find another to your liking ;)

SOG makes a few pass through Lockback style flippers if I remember right.

~Chip

Hogue X5 or X1 Microflip. Flips smooth like on bearings, but it actually doesn't even use washers. Crazy innovative design. Button lock. ~$130 for the X1 and ~$200 for the X5.

My BM 940D2CF is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I've been thinking of getting something new. I like the idea of a flipper, especially one that runs on bearings, but there's one problem with them:

I hate frame and liner locks.

It's been years since I've even handled one, even longer since I owned one. My issue is that you have to put your thumb or finger in the path of the blade when closing it. I got bit so many times because of the awkward motions required. And none of them that I owned, except perhaps the Microtech SOCOM D/A, had a blade that swung as freely as a flipper should.

For the last few years I've mainly focused on traditionals without paying attention to modern folders. There's so many new knives and even new companies that I'm ignorant of because I haven't been in the market for several years.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Thin/narrow/light. I don't want an overbuilt brick. My all-time favorite EDC is the afore mentioned 940D2CF, so think along those lines.

Thin, acute cutting profile, with a tip-forward edge. I want something that slices, not a folding prybar. I don't like a lot of belly, especially towards the tip. Again, like the 940 blade. Or Kershaw Leek, Microtech LCC, Zulu/tribal spear, etc. But not a true wharncliffe or sheepsfoot.

Good steel. Duh. I'm not a steel snob, but I don't want junk. VG-10 or better.

Unassisted flipper with a fast action, preferably bearings.

Lock other than liner or framelock. One of the reasons I like my 940 so much is that with the unassisted AXIS lock you can easily flick it open and closed with one hand and without putting any part of your hand in the path of the blade.

No customs. I'm not looking for something cheap, but I don't want to go crazy. A good knife for a good price. No Cold Steel either. @#$% Cold Steel.

So please, I'm looking for ideas. Or should I just get another 940? I do like the 940-1 or the Knifeworks exclusive blue/black G10 with CPM 20CV.

Thanks.

If you can swing the loot the GG Hawk Dauntless is supposed to be on a whole other level.

Then for button locks there is the Hogue Ex05 or the Freeman flipper.

Just be aware not all locks work good with flippers. For example I have the Benchmade 300 Ball flipper with axis lock. The axis lock makes for a very mushy flipping action.

Ooh, that could be the one. I've always been a fan of Spydercos, I love the blade shape, I like the wire clip (if I'm not carrying my 940, it's my CF/ZDP Caly3), etc. I was actually aware of the Sliverax, but I figured it was a linerlock like so many others. I'm OK with the Compression lock. I'll have to watch some youtube reviews. Thanks.

The other knives mentioned are all beefier than I care for, although I do dig the button lock.

I should also mention that I'm aware of the Benchmade 300, but it has zero appeal to me except for being an AXIS flipper. I wish Benchmade would make some others.

While larger than the 940, I've heard good things about the freeman 451 flipper. If it isn't slicey enough a regrind from an expert on the forums can make it more to your liking.

I've found I most enjoy the knives I modded to be exactly what I want.

Ooh, that could be the one. I've always been a fan of Spydercos, I love the blade shape, I like the wire clip (if I'm not carrying my 940, it's my CF/ZDP Caly3), etc. I was actually aware of the Sliverax, but I figured it was a linerlock like so many others. I'm OK with the Compression lock. I'll have to watch some youtube reviews. Thanks.

The other knives mentioned are all beefier than I care for, although I do dig the button lock.

I should also mention that I'm aware of the Benchmade 300, but it has zero appeal to me except for being an AXIS flipper. I wish Benchmade would make some others.

I believe the SilverAxe suffers the same problem as the 300 Ball axis flipper. Namely that the compression lock, like the axis, doesn't seem to produce a great flipping action.​

My Sliverax flips just fine, my only complaint is that sometimes the compression lock will give you a little pinch if you push button it...light switching has no issues. Not super crisp like a ZT, but certainly no Hinderer.

Also, the SOGs I was thinking of are the Twitches...kind of a neat design. Not VG-10, but AUS8 is decent in my opinion.

~Chip

Last edited:

I believe the SilverAxe suffers the same problem as the 300 Ball axis flipper. Namely that the compression lock, like the axis, doesn't seem to produce a great flipping action.​

It has displayed excellent flipping action. The compression lock gives the same tension and detent as a liner or frame lock.

A manual, production Protech Cambria has been on my radar for a while. It might work for you. Manual flipper with a plunge lock. 3.5" blade but the handle is less than a half inch thick. Some of the custom ones get a little pricey but this one is reasonable...
Protech-Cambria-flipper-tuxedo-black-ivory-micarta-black-CF52-BHQ-74268-er.jpg

The sliverax doesnt flip as well as a 0450 as an example but it isn't bad. I'd recommend it for what you are asking for.

So a few options with a range of prices just a quick search I could find these options not sure how well each one works but a starting off point for some of your own research.

Kershaw Induction
Klecker Cordovan and Slice
CRKT Nirk Tighe
Hogue X5 and X1
Protech Cambria
Buck 830 Marksman
Spyderco Sliverax

I am sure there are more options but those are what I know and could find quickly

Button lock/plunge lock flippers are extremely smooth and great for one hand use. I have a Rod Olson custom and it is a great EDC

I'll put another vote in for the Protech Cambria. This action is impeccable and it is surprising how much blade length the design yields despite its apparent diminutive size.

Back