Flying to San Diego

P2P

Gold Member
Searched as much as possible, and done as much research as I can at this point. Specifically, I'm looking to see if I can carry a folder clipped, or if it's in my better interest to keep it concealed in San Diego. Should I just not worry about bringing any of my nice folders since I'll be flying? I've heard stories of them being confiscated as well.

What I'll bring if going with the minimum: a SAK Alox pioneer and a pen flashlight.
I would also enjoy bringing a Spyderco Military or Benchmade 940. Perhaps I could bring a Recon 1 that I modded to wave(or is this to weapony?).

How many of you guys have taken nicer knives with you on flights? It's been over 10 years since I've last flown.

I'll be in vacation mode so I'm looking to be pretty stress free. Kicking back a few drinks. Does drinking ever effect what you guys decide to carry?

This will be my first time to California.

Any San Diegoans out there to help?

Cheers.

Last edited:
What I do when I fly is mail my nicer knives to my destination, if its a job, I'd send it ahead Priority mail to someone on site, I've had them sent to hotels and Mailbox Stops like they have for UPS and similar facilities. I'd rather take my chances with the US mail.

I recommend putting any knives you'd want to carry in the People's Republic in your checked bag, in a locked something-or-other. I just traveled to the SF Bay Area, checked my Spyderco Military, and carried it all week (wearing a suit no less). I recommend carrying concealed for your own benefit.

CA freaks out more about guns. If you conceal your knife on a relaxing vacation, nobody will be the wiser. If you're carrying a Military, you'll be more "armed" than 99% of Californians (you heathen).:p

I haven't flown in 14 years, so can't really comment on that. But I live in San Diego, and carry clipped quite often. I've never been hassled; in fact, I doubt anyone has even noticed. I also occasionally see other guys with knives clipped to their pockets.

Don't try to take any type of knife into Sea World, the zoo, Legoland, or any other amusement parks, sporting events or government buildings. The same as anywhere else.

I know that many people are critical of CA regarding knife rights, but there are many, many places, both in other states and abroad, that are far more restrictive about knife carry than San Diego and probably most other places in CA. Just use common sense.

Jim

I live in Southern California, and despite all the trash talk on the forums I have never been hassled for a clipped knife. That said, I don't show clips in large urban areas in any state; the extra attention is hardly worth the extra partial second of draw time. I frequently use a Resolza for food prep or eating at restaurants, and despite being 10.5" long I can't recall ever getting a second look. As long as you're not making a big deal of it or flipping it obsessively, you will be fine. Knives and booze though, always a questionable combo.....I do put knives in checked luggage despite the risk, just hidden in some socks or underwear or folded into the pockets of a pair of pants. If you stick your hands in your luggage and shuffle around and can't feel anything worth investigating, you ought to be okay. I don't pack anything I am not willing to replace anyways, ever since flying out of Alaska when somebody's badly packed fish tote leaked all over my suitcase.

When I fly and I have stuff I don't want the sticky hands of the TSA to take I put them in their own bag and then add a label detailing everything in the bag and tape it to the outside. Of course this is no guarantee they wont get "confiscated" anyway. However it will at least let the TSA know that there will be some questions regarding their confiscation. The hope is that they will look to other low lying fruit to "confiscate" and leave my stuff alone. So far, so good.

I like the idea of mailing it to the destination via ups or usps.

San Diego laws are pretty similar to those of the rest of the state.
There are a number of sites which offer synopses of the knife laws of various states, California included. Overall, California has fairly reasonable laws.

A knife clipped to your pocket is legal.

All bets are off though, if you do something stupid with it or if you are just doing something troublesome.

When I fly I check my luggage and carry something simple, such as an SAK.

Edited to add:
I forgot that the new software does not openly display location.
I live in the City of San Diego. I frequently carry a knife with a clip.

Last edited:
What Jim Y said as far as carrying on person, from another San Diegan who also doesn't fly! I live in San Diego County but not the City of San Diego although the knife laws are identical all over this County. I do own Spyderco Millies and they are my fave hiking folders as I own and have owned CRKs for the same sort of duties. This said, I never use these knives when I'm going to the coffee shop with the intention of cutting a piece of say pastry while not wanting to use a plastic "knife". For me it'll be an old trusty serrated Delica 1 or one of my very people friendly SAK. IMHO, cutting apples, bananas, sandwiches and as such in public in the PRC doesn't require utilizing Sebbies, Millies or Shiros.

P.S. what areas are you planning to stay at or to vacation while here? If planning on bar hopping in Downtown 'Diego or in Pacific Beach (PB) areas, don't stick out like a sore thumb with a large pocket knife clipped onto you in the bar. Not only asking for trouble with some drunk whose eyes may catch a glimpse but also some of the local constabulary is not too well versed in the knife laws on the books.

Last edited:
Kinda wondering a few things for the most part in your discription other the the flashlight all will have to be checked. But other then that why not carry what you want to carry? As you posted you're on vacation mode drinks and what have you. I mean if you need to trim a string off you bathing suit I'm sure what ever you have can be done discretely. If you aren't whipping it out all wrist look at me style to cut a steak I'm sure no one will think twice about you. Just my 2cents enjoy your vacation and worry less about what's in the pocket. If you act like it's not there most will too. No sarcasm ment here I know text can come off that way.

I have a question concerning getting a knife on the plane. If you bring a folder and disassemble it and bring it on the plane in pieces. Would that help any?

Only problem you will have is getting back on the plane. San Diego is about as good as it gets!!!! My Daughter just moved to Oceanside a month ago and says she feels like she is on Vacation.
Great weather, great food and great beaches.

I usually mail myself a package to my hotel along with prepaid postage for way back. Infact, just came back from SF not to long ago. It is the best checking in and your package is handed to you.
Pioneer x is what I usually ship to myself as it becomes very useful. It is fairly easy to replace if something was to go wrong.

It's not just California...a few years ago we went to Disneyworld in Orlando...I had a 2" William Henry on me that they would not allow me to carry...they gave me a receipt and I picked it up on the way out...

Cheers/bg

UPS or the USPO and mail it to your hotel. Less hassle and you get what you want there.

Does drinking ever effect what you guys decide to carry?

After a few drinks everything just starts to look like a Spyderco.

But on a serious note, I just brought a SAK last time I flew. I bought a knife in Mesa, AZ to carry while I was there and had it shipped back home in IL when I left.

Any reputable knife shops on the area someone knows of?

Maybe it's a good excuse to buy another.

So from my understanding is that when you fly you HAVE to put the knife in your checked baggage that is stored beneath the plane. Last year when the family went down to Florida I thought about taking my knife but didn't because of the same reason but i'm going to this year when we go down. TSA states in the article below what guidline you must follow for carry a knife in a checked bag. Hope this helps. :)

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/sharp-objects

Back