Folder for formal wear! Please advise. Thank you.

Liking that blade shape. How much are they?

That's a Wharncliffe blade profile.

Hiroaki Ohta's smallest (sub-3" closed) gent's slipjoints usually run between $300 and $400, depending on the scale material.

Hmmm Depends on the company. For non-knive crowds my Spyderco Kiwi, and for the non-skittish my Spyderdo Vallotton. Although it always make me think of Jack the Ripper with an Italian accent, and is far too large for most folk.

Any of these for rare suit-wearin' occasions...

ripplewhittler01.jpg

Ripple 1 and pearl/abalone Half-Whittler

BM940.jpg

Benchmade 940

cento02.jpg

Spyderco Centofante 3

Or for dressy but not super formal events...

frictioncanoe01.jpg

Custom friction folder with natural linen micarta scales and yeller synthetic Lockback Canoe

for formal wear i usually drop a small kershaw in my front right pocket and one of my larger folders will go inside my waist band just in case anything bad happens.

remember folks, bad men don't care if you"re dressed nice for church, weddings, formal dinners, or the like.

wow a lot of beautiful knives. one concern is how you plan to carry. i have been wearing a suit and tie everyday for the last 8 years. if i iwb i use a delica is fine. more often i drop the knife in my pocket with my car keys. the delica without the clip does work but i prefer a ss chive. easy to open one handed, locks, steal so scratches arent so bad, has a backspacer so i dont worry about my keys messing up the blade. lastly its affordable, if it falls out of my pocket i lose 50 bucks.

Fallkniven TK3
Chris Reeve Mnandi, inlayed small sebenza, or Ti-Lock
William Henry (any model) but they can go from $400 to $3,000 or more.

A fixed blade option:
Murray Carter neck knife,
BRKT city knife or an Essential EDC

Typically "suit" carry implies a shorter blade (2"-3")... there are plenty of options. If your objective is to have a non-threatening knife, than perhaps something people are used to seeing would be in order (ie a small swiss army knife, maybe one with stainless steel handle scales)

Cheers!
:thumbup:

My "dressy" knife is a Black and Gold Kershaw Leek:

100_0693.jpg

The gold clip is a nice touch, and the shiny black fits right in with formal wear. I have many more expensive knives, but imho this one fits in the best for formal wear given it's dimunitive size and classy looks.

If I'm wearing a suit, I have my Al Mar Hawk or Benchmite clipped on the inside of my suit. Depending who I'm with, I sometimes use my Al Mar as a tie clip.

Another great option is a carbon fiber Delica. Not easy to find, but it works well with a suit. Lightweiht at 2.4 oz. It is very thin and the black clip blends in well with a black or dark suit.

077567e4.jpg

21b43d9d.jpg

86db7125.jpg

6b8e45b2.jpg

Also the sprint run carbon fiber Spyderco Walker is even more thin than the Delica and only weighs 1.95 oz.

e2154744.jpg

Last edited:
That's a Wharncliffe blade profile.

Hiroaki Ohta's smallest (sub-3" closed) gent's slipjoints usually run between $300 and $400, depending on the scale material.
Hmm... just a little outside my $50 budget...

I carried my Kershaw damascus Shallot with me to a recent wedding. I wore a black shirt and pants with a gray tie and jacket.

I looked sharp.
[youtube]Frd53vbCHLg[/youtube]

All most any folder in pearl or abalony with a damascus blade. It's not like you're going to gut &/or skin any game animals?

I rarely wear a suit, but these are my dressiest knives....
From top; Moki, Kiwi and Opportunist.

dressy_10_11015_3o_crp_1.jpg

as a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if the Moki and Kiwi were made in the same factory.

Last edited:
i dont know what ur price range is....but you can check out mcusta....japanese made folders....all around $100-200....but superb quality.

Back