Folders under $250 to rotate with my Small Sebenza.

It is also turning out expensive. I've know decided I need to get an BM (I don't have any BM folders, just a Bushcrafter fixed blade), a 3" or smaller Spyderco (I have a std. PM 2 but is to large for me to EDC, much like the ZT 0770) and something else more in tune with what I proposed at the beginning of this thread.

I think I know now the specifics of what I'm looking for: frame or liner lock, 3" or shorter blade, CF or G-10 scales.

BM: I think I've made up my mind on a 484-1 Nakamura.
Spyderco: maybe a Wolfspyder after I've read some reviews or a Positron (I know it's made in Taiwan and would be breaking my own rules but I might be willing to bend my prejudices a bit in this particular case).

And on the third one, I have shortlisted my two original options plus the SG Spider Monkey. But I sure there will be more options posted here so pretty open still...

Last edited:
Another vote for the sage 2! But if you want to shake it up a little check out some offerings from GEC, some of my favorites are the 77, 99 and 15 patterns, classy little knive that a joy to use.

It is also turning out expensive. I decided I need to get an BM (I don't have any BM folders, just a Bushcrafter fixed blade), a 3" or smaller Spyderco (I have a std. PM 2 but is to large for me to EDC, much like the ZT 0770) and something else more in tune with what I proposed at the beginning of this thread.

I think I know now the specifics of what I'm looking for: frame or liner lock, 3" or shorter balde, CF or G-10 scales.

Sage 1 or Bradley Air for your Spyderco. If you want an office friendly and classy Benchmade look at the 707 or the Valet.

If you want to support your local market you could pick up one of JD Ware's pieces! I know that this thread is more oriented towards modern-style knives but I think you should strongly consider his work.

142047_orig.jpg

My second suggestion would be to go for some, any, Spyderco sprint run using an exoctic steel. I love both s35vn and the Devin Thomas Damascus used by CRK, but no matter how many you collect you can't get much diversity in blade steel. Spyderco is the polar opposite and there is no limit to the fun one can have searching their catalog for interesting steels. The new Paramilitary in s110v should be great (I know it's technically not a sprint) and a few designs were just released with HAP40, etc.

I will add, at the expense of being "that guy", that CRK's Spa service is amazing, cheap and has a fast turn-around. I wouldn't be too worried about wearing your Sebenza out as you can have it made like-new again for ~$30 and two weeks wait. Then when it's really, really worn down you can replace the blade for $125...

I was not aware of this guy! I have to confess I am not into traditional folders but being made in Mexico makes is interesting to me. ?ll look him up.

I sold my Small Seb when I started carrying a Stretch w/ZDP-189. If you can find one with the CF scales you will be very pleased. Slightly bigger than the Seb, but very slim and carries extremely well.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting a Spyderco native for Xmas and I've been given the ok to by my wife to get a a mnandi. I also have lined up to get the urban trapper or mini kwaiken. Will report back on all of them. More eye candy. This is a Spyderco UK Pen Knife Sprint run in s30v and ti above the seb I've had almost every version of this knife at one point or another including the G10 (Awesome) but have yet to get this one. It's a slip joint!

IMG_20120719_180942.jpg

Last edited:
I just found this: Benchmade 903 Mini Axis Striker II. Is there something wrong with this knife? I've gotten tons of recommendations on BM knives but no one has mentioned this one.

Ok, so I ended up ordering a BM Nakamura 484-1 (arrived a couple of days ago), a Fanotino HB02 and a Lionsteel TRE G-10 (on their way)!

I am liking the Nakamura very much except for some vertical blade play. I posted an inquiry on the Banchmade subforum on this.

I can see getting another folder just because you like knives. But I really doubt the Sebenza will wear out in your use, even carried every single day. I carried and used a Swiss Army Knife daily for 25 years and it had life remaining. Surely a Sebenza is tougher than that?

I guess I owe you guys a follow up after your great input. I am still new regarding knives but I've learned a lot from everyone here at Blade Forums in the last few months.

I got carried away and this is what I ended up buying:

Benchmade Nakamura 484-1: Very nice knife. Came with and still has some vertical (radial) blade play but is getting better with use.
Benchmade Mini Stryker ii Axis Lock: Love the knife size and format. This one came with no vertical blade play but with awful lateral play. I don't know what was wrong with it but the only way I could get the lateral blade play out was by making some custom .010" thick SS washers that I put between the bronze washers and the liners. Its fine now but not perfect.

Lionsteel TRE G10: Great little knife. Fit and finish is excellent, I would say maybe a little better than ZT. The blade has a great shape and came very sharp.

Fantoni HB-02: Also very good fit and finish. Constriction reminds me of Emerson but much nicer with very smooth action. Very sharp out of the box. My only concern is that the lock can be fail if you put some medium-heavy load on the spine. You can see the lock bar beginning to slide out of lock position with just some load. As you increase the load it slides further until it fails. This might become an issue if for example, you pry into some hard wood (the blade shape is very good for prying) and you have to wiggle it out. This might cause the lock to fail. This issue is stopping me form buying an HB-03.

Kershaw Skyline: Excellent utility knife. The fit and finish is very good and I would rate is as exemplary for a $40 knife. Teh only iother knife in this price range that can match it is a Victorinox Sentinel. If my Buck 347 had this F&F it would be a winner.

Buck Mayo TNT 172. I was able to get a NIB example. Wow! What a knife. All what my 347 should be and more. Very well constructed with a very nice deep hollow ground blade. An excellent slicer.

Conclusion:

The Buck Mayo and the TRE are my favorite knives of this group. The Fantoni would be tied if it was not for the lock issue.

Very disappointed with Benchmade. I'll give them one more chance, I ordered a 908 (full size) Stryker through amazon (for ease of return from Mexico). If it comes with any blade play I'll return it right away and will be done with them.

The Kershaw Stryker is very good knife and an incredible buy.

Southern Grind Spider Monkey will be my next purchase.

My Small Sebbie is still king!

Last edited:
Back