Folding survival knives

One of the very few folding knives I carry in the woods is the venerable Buck 110. I much much much prefer even a small fixed blade.

One reason I like fixed is economy....I can buy a very high quality EDC fixed for under 50 bucks....Most folders that even approach the strength of a fixed is well over 200 dollars.

ESEE Izula or Izula II
Becker/KaBar BK14 or BK11
The new TOPS Tibo also looks great.

Depends on what you define as a survival knife.
Mt Strider SmF gets some decent use in the woods, as does the Umnumzaan (I know, not the most "bushcrafty" choices...)
I haven't died yet, so I guess they're survival knives.:D
The ZT 0550 and 0551 work well too.
Those are all made in the USA as well.

I'd mention the good old Swiss Army Knife, except that it's made in, well, you know.;)

Depends on what you define as a survival knife.
Mt Strider SmF gets some decent use in the woods, as does the Umnumzaan (I know, not the most "bushcrafty" choices...)
I haven't died yet, so I guess they're survival knives.:D
The ZT 0550 and 0551 work well too.
Those are all made in the USA as well.

I'd mention the good old Swiss Army Knife, except that it's made in, well, you know.;)

What's funny, I didnt even think about a SAK....I think of them more as a small saw and can-opener then a ''knife'' lol

Like you said though, not US made.

What's funny, I didnt even think about a SAK....I think of them more as a small saw and can-opener then a ''knife'' lol

I think many of us do.:D

And yet, I would feel pretty well set for a day or two if all I had was a regular SAK with me.:)

I guess the Leatherman would be a decent choice as well, as they are made in the USA if I remember correctly.
Get one with a saw, and that'd be good to go; some of them have locking blades too.:thumbup:

(Edit: someone else mentioned a Leatherman as I was typing:D)

The ZT 550 or 560 series would be good. If you dont want to spend that much then a Cold Steel Recon 1 or Voyager series would also do a good job for the price. Good Luck! Kevin :D

Anyone know any good folding survival knives? USA made only.

If I may ask, why are you limiting your search to just US manufactured folders? I am not trying to start a sh*tstorm here, but there is a plethora of very amazing quality folders that would be great for 'survival'. (SAK's and Opinels come to mind immediately)

In fact, my carbon steel Opinel No8 that was passed onto me from my grandfather is one of my all-time favorite outdoors knives; It is very inexpensive, nice steel, has a nice square spine for shavings/firesteel, highly customizable, comfortable in the hand, takes & keeps a nice edge...etc.

If you still are set on USA made products, I would get a Leatherman due to it having many tools and functions for 'survival' and has the potential to be more useful than just a single-blade folder. I could also say that Spyderco is well worth looking at, I cannot say enough good things about them!

Good luck on your search! :thumbup:

I carry a Case XX Trapper or a Moore Maker Jumbo trapper. Both made in the USA. I've seen my dad and grandpa do things with a slip joint that most couldn't do with a small fixed blade. The Buck 110/112 is a standard. I like fixed blades of all sizes but I would not feel under-knifed in a survival situation with my bone handled Case stockman...

What's a survival knife? I here people ask all the time what the best survival knife? But what does that mean. A knife is a tool and if it helps you survive then it's the best at the time. Any knife that is designed for use in the woods and even some that ain't will work! It's a knife not a magic bullet.

Anything from ZT, and many made in the US Kershaws. Other than that, I wouldn't really don't think I'd consider any folding knife a 'survival' knife, except a SAK for the other tools besides the blade.

Of the ones I have personally owned,

ZT 200
Buck/TOPS CSAR-T
Ritter RSK-1

And I know you specified USA made only, but I will toss a second vote for the Ontario RAT-1, as well as the CRK&T Desert Cruiser.

Anyone know any good folding survival knives? USA made only.

TOPS is releasing a folding version of their XcEST called the XcEST Delta that looks very promising. It's the same size as the fixed blade so beefy but looks a hell of a knife. I'm waiting on them to hit the market.

The Doug Ritter Benchmade Griptilian is designed to be a survival folder. I know Mr. Ritter is a member here, I hope I am not violating any rules by posting a link to the RSK MK 1 http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm Please remove it if it is a no-no.
I got one years ago, but unfortunately lost it. Hoping to get one again soon, you would not be disappointed.

Back