For Sale Items - Why Remove Prices After Sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my limited observation, it appears the majority of items (individual folding and fixed) sell PDQ with an "I'll take it." post, and for what I'd assume is asking price.

Listings that run longer (days, rather than hours?) would indicate more opportunity for negotiation and/or items less in demand. Makes sense for these cases where asking price may not accurately reflect sales price.

No, it isn’t a “matter of public record” or else we wouldn’t be allowed to change it or edit it. These aren’t “print ads”, this is the internet and the year 2021, and people can change their posts as they see fit. This is an Internet forum for knives, not a newspaper.
Then why even require a price in the first place? Are you also fine with deleting the entire body of the post after the sale? That tactic has been used by unscrupulous sellers in the past, removing pics that would contradict the description.

Altering the post after the sale to remove information is shady.

Then why even require a price in the first place? Are you also fine with deleting the entire body of the post after the sale? That tactic has been used by unscrupulous sellers in the past, removing pics that would contradict the description.

Altering the post after the sale to remove information is shady.
I thought we were talking about removing prices here? No need to veer off course with a bunch of hypotheticals just because I challenged your “public record” remark.

If you're concerned with the government knowing what you do online, you shouldn't be online🤷‍♂️
What? What are you even talking about, guy? He was merely stating that “public record” typically means something is permanently recorded for public information purposes. This isn’t the local city council, it’s a knife forum. Settle down.

Perhaps a CL model makes sense where ads are deleted either when sold or after an expiration period, say 30 days.

If you're concerned with the government knowing what you do online, you shouldn't be online🤷‍♂️

You misunderstood. Unalterable "public record" is anything recorded that the public has a right to know regarding the conduct of government. The minutes of a city hall meeting are public record. The bodycam footage of a police encounter is public record.

The price that a person sold an item for in a private transaction they advertised openly in a privately owned forum is not public record.

Because it’s a sneaky way of artificially inflating prices on the second hand market aimed at fleecing the uneducated
What I see 99% of the time I check the classifieds here the prices are much lower than ebay.
Personally I could care less if someone else knows what I paid for a knife. The only reason I can think of for somebody to try and hide the amount is if they plan on flipping it on ebay.
Apparently I’m in the minority, but if people could see the prices of past sales wouldn’t that actually STOP the inflated prices??

Last edited:
What I see 99% of the time I check the classifieds here the prices are much lower than ebay.
Personally I could care less if someone else knows what I paid for a knife. The only reason I can think of for somebody to try and hide the amount is if they plan on flipping it on ebay.
Apparently I’m in the minority, but if people could see the prices of past sales wouldn’t that actually STOP the inflated prices??

No it would not. Flippers are gonna flip.

Every one says they prefer the price to be not removed, but when they are selling, they (almost) all removed the price as soon as a deal is done.

Really? Every one? There seems to be unanimous agreement! NOT!?!

The Beatles had the right idea, in my opinion. Let It Be, Let It Be, there will be an answer: Let It Be.

JUST THE OPPOSITE!

As I stated before, the asking price of $123 is left up. The actual sale price was $105 or $88 or whatever... So the flippers LOVE it!! Because SEE! It's worth $123!!! It sold for $88 or $105 on BF, but its worth $123 - because SEE!! They had to left the "price" up... Virtually worthless data.

Last edited:
The way I see it, this place is a community first and foremost (as well as a resource for those within the community), that just so happens to have a section for classified ads. IMO, leaving the price up after a sale is a resource that benefits the community. Therefore, I always do it, and very much appreciate it when the prices are left up on knives that I am researching. Now, at the same time, members who post in the classifieds have paid for the right to do so, and I reckon it is their prerogative to do whatever the hell they want with their own ads after a sale. It's just not how I choose to conduct myself within the community.

Opinions vary, and that's fine. If you think it is respectful to the buyer to remove the price, act accordingly. Some will argue that it prevents late offers from coming in months after the knife is sold, that's what the strikethrough function is for. The best argument I've heard thus far is by makers who say removing the price prevents them from having new customers expect outdated prices, and I can TOTALLY understand that.

In the end, I really don't worry too much about it. As I said, I appreciate it when prices are left up, and I will continue to do as I would wish to be done and focus on what I put into the community. Others can do as they wish.

The best argument I've heard thus far is by makers who say removing the price prevents them from having new customers expect outdated prices, and I can TOTALLY understand that.

It's nice that you acknowledge this aspect of it. Thank you for that.

I simply think that what 2 people agreed to on the purchase of an item is between the 2 people. So I take them down. It doesn’t bother me that others leave them up, it’s just how I do business. I assume people only complain about them being taken down because they want to see their own knives value, but there are other avenues you can use to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back