For Sale Items - Why Remove Prices After Sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way. I've almost always negotiated to lower prices than the posted price as the seller and buyer, so that number isn't even accurate anyway.

Nobody cares what the knife actually sold for, but the posted asking price is a valid data point that is helpful.

Edit- And another data point, one of the biggest re-sellers in the business (AZCK) not only leaves the price up after a sale but actually updates it to the actual selling price if it sold at a lower offer. This just happened on a knife I bought today, asking was $1439 and I offered $1200 which was accepted and the price on the site was updated to match. I'm perfectly ok with this too.

New guy here. Maybe an obvious question, but then I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Why do people remove their listing prices, and sometimes the thread titles, after their items sell? That info would be useful to someone like me whose obsession is just ramping up and getting a feel for availability and pricing.

I've made one purchase here so far.

Thanks In Advance!
Lee
If you really are curious about a specific item’s sold price, just message the seller. I’m sure most of the folks on here would be happy to privately inform you. I know I would be okay telling you in confidence...

You misunderstood. Unalterable "public record" is anything recorded that the public has a right to know regarding the conduct of government. The minutes of a city hall meeting are public record. The bodycam footage of a police encounter is public record.

The price that a person sold an item for in a private transaction they advertised openly in a privately owned forum is not public record.

Well, there is the government… and then there is the wife. Just saying :)

I don’t like the prices being up because then there would be those people on every sales post saying “this sold for x amount of money last week, why is your price higher?” or like the people that say “this just sold on eBay for $1,000 last week”, people would start doing the same here.

I remove it for those reasons, and also because “nunya”, as in “it’s nunya buisness” what I sold it for (not you personally, but anyone). I don’t want people knowing.
Yeah that's really obnoxious, 'oh Timmy2Stix sold his (irreplaceable discontinued gem) for thirty-two dollars and a kiss seven years ago, I simply won't pay more than $30!'

I like to be able to see what some recent prices were for a similar knife and appreciate the seller leaving the price in the ad.

Doesn’t this thread belong in Feedback or Whine & Cheese?

I think it is useful to leave asking prices and selling prices up, but I prefer that the forum afford each person the freedom to do whatever they want. There is no “right” way to do it.

I don’t sell or buy much on the forum, but I leave selling prices.

However, I generally do remove photos after the deal is done and everyone is happy, because it seems weird to leave up photos of something I don’t own or have a connection with anymore. The new owner can post all the photos they want and have that exclusive privilege.

It’s a persons own business what they sale something for if they wish to take it down. That’s just my 2 cents. Many don’t like their personal buisness tracked across net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back