Photos For the love of Lockbacks! (Traditionals only)

A favorite old Western S-532 from 1979.

cNhaCmm.jpg

Do you use it? If so is it a good tool? Can you pocket carry it? I've seen a few at gun shows and almost bought one.

Thx

Do you use it? If so is it a good tool? Can you pocket carry it?

It's 4.35" closed, so right at the edge of what I would pocket carry. I've carried it a few times, but used it very little. I planned to carry it in the sheath when hunting, to have a backup for my fixed blade, but haven't had the chance yet. It's very well made, tight, and with good ergonomics, at least for my large hands. And, it's stainless, which for me is a plus.

Tried posting this last week, but the server response was so slow, I gave up! This is my latest lockback by QSP (a relatively new manufacturer based in China which makes a budget line and higher end models like this one). It's their Mustang model. This one is outfitted with Raffir brown-dyed spalted beech scales. The M390 blade is 3.125". Great fit and finish, on par with similarly priced lionSTEEL and Fällkniven knives.

QSPMustang2.jpg

A.G. Russell medium Barlow lockback with a Zulu spear blade. This a very nice knife. I really like the blade on this. The point is sharp and pierces stuff easily and its very slicey. Lock up is rock solid. I would prefer that the tang did not protrude so much when closed. Its about the same as the GEC 86. Obviously not a deal breaker or I wouldn't have bought them, but sunken joints would make a good knife better.
I have one in natural bone and one in brown jigged bone. These are both seconds and each has a small crack in the bone, but the quality on both is excellent.
ysPKWbB.jpg

luiPZDi.jpg
VUnjtA1.jpg

Last edited:
That sheath... oh my. I am lusting.

Thanks! That sheath has an interesting story behind it. Back in 2016, a gentleman was selling a Buck 110 with a custom sheath on eBay. After the first two auctions ended with no bids, I emailed the seller and asked if he would consider selling the sheath separately. He politely declined saying that he wanted to sell them as a set. He listed the set for a third time and still no bids, so I emailed him again asking if he would reconsider selling the sheath. He said that he had decided to keep the set because my compliments and interest made him re-appreciate the knife and sheath all over again. I told him I understood, was glad he reconnected with his knife, and hoped he enjoyed it for many more years.

Four months later, I received an email from the seller saying that if I still wanted the sheath, he would be pleased if it went to someone who truly appreciated it. When the sheath arrived, I was blown away by its quality and handmade craftsmanship. My 110 slid into the sheath like it was custom made it. On the back, the sheath is stamped, "Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico". Long story short, Casa Zea was located across the border of El Paso, Texas and was one of Mexico's finest leather shops. They made handmade saddles, bridles, boots, gunbelts, bullwhips, rifle scabbards, and of course, knife sheaths!

Here is an old post card that I found on the internet showing the Casa Zea store front. They closed in 1986.

Thanks! That sheath has an interesting story behind it. Back in 2016, a gentleman was selling a Buck 110 with a custom sheath on eBay. After the first two auctions ended with no bids, I emailed the seller and asked if he would consider selling the sheath separately. He politely declined saying that he wanted to sell them as a set. He listed the set for a third time and still no bids, so I emailed him again asking if he would reconsider selling the sheath. He said that he had decided to keep the set because my compliments and interest made him re-appreciate the knife and sheath all over again. I told him I understood, was glad he reconnected with his knife, and hoped he enjoyed it for many more years.

Four months later, I received an email from the seller saying that if I still wanted the sheath, he would be pleased if it went to someone who truly appreciated it. When the sheath arrived, I was blown away by its quality and handmade craftsmanship. My 110 slid into the sheath like it was custom made it. On the back, the sheath is stamped, "Casa Zea, Juarez Mexico". Long story short, Casa Zea was located across the border of El Paso, Texas and was one of Mexico's finest leather shops. They made handmade saddles, bridles, boots, gunbelts, bullwhips, rifle scabbards, and of course, knife sheaths!

Here is an old post card that I found on the internet showing the Casa Zea store front. They closed in 1986.

What a fascinating back ground story, TAH, thank you very much for taking the time to share.

When you look at pictures of 19th century decked out Mexican vaqueros, their leather made gear is a work of art, very much like your knife sheath. Built with much pride, built to last.

Thank you again.

What a fascinating back ground story, TAH, thank you very much for taking the time to share.

When you look at pictures of 19th century decked out Mexican vaqueros, their leather made gear is a work of art, very much like your knife sheath. Built with much pride, built to last.

Thank you again.

.577NE, you are correct. Mexico has a long, respected reputation for producing high-quality leather goods. The sheath is made of saddle leather, wet formed, and obviously hand-stitched. Compliments to your keen eye for picking it out of the crowd! :thumbsup:

Back