For the Love of Wood

I love knives with wooden handles. I know, wood is not the strongest material out there, and it doesn't look tacticool, but I still am drawn to it. I love the warmth of it, and the fact that wood makes every knife unique. Also, I think that wood - if properly cared for - ages very nicely, and gives older knives character.

There is a thread on knives with wooden handles in the traditionals forum, but I didn't find anything here (and not only traditional knives have wooden handles). So I thought I'd create a thread for showcasing knives with wooden handles. The rules are simple: Everything that used to be a tree in its former life counts (i.e., stabilized wood is fine too).

To start us off here's the knife with the most beatiful wooden handle in my collection: A Helle Fjellkniven in Curly Birch. Looking forward to seeing your wooden beauties!

QO9rYLy.jpg

DR6fsZD.jpg

If you like wood handles then how about an Opinel?
Though they are normally rather plain, they lend to being a good canvas.

Unfortunately, this is not my work, nor my knife.
View attachment 719470 View attachment 719471 View attachment 719472 View attachment 719473 View attachment 719474 View attachment 719475

Good call, I indeed am an Opinel fan and have a couple in different woods. Will post pics once I'm back at my computer...

But I'm no woodworking artist, unfortunately, so my handles are nothing near as fancy as the ones in your post!

Very nice. Here is my BRK Bravo 1 in Golden Elder Burl.

100_2456.jpg

100_2457.jpg

Very nice, Badhammer. The B1 is one of my favorite fixed blades and it does look very nice in elder burl! I have a B1.25 in micarta, but am considering adding a Gunny in one of the nicer woods...

Knoefz congrats that is way cool!.I too am into wood. This a pic of my Case mini Trapper that I am modding to wood scales. What you see in the pic is Wenge but I have some Bocote on the way and if it has good figuring that is what I will put on it. I cut the Wenge on one side about 1/16 short so I want to make new ones.20170611_150948.jpg

Can you tell us more about that really nice looking blade? I can't quite read the tang stamp to do a google search. Both the blade shape and handle scream 'made by a user for a user' but the finish is beautiful too! Hard to see that combination often.

Back