For the Love of Wood

Can you tell us more about that really nice looking blade? I can't quite read the tang stamp to do a google search. Both the blade shape and handle scream 'made by a user for a user' but the finish is beautiful too! Hard to see that combination often.
V. Destensky. He Is from the Czech Republic.
Best of luck.

Gimlet burl ... another beautiful wood you don't see very often on a knife.

6w8N4Kl.jpg

Last edited:
Everything that used to be a tree in its former life counts (i.e., stabilized wood is fine too).

How about if it used to be tree eggs?

Bark River Gunny Hunter, Green & White Cottonwood Seed Pod:
gh3_grn_wht_cottonwd_seed_pod_299_95_dlt.jpg

Note: I don't own the knife in that picture, but it shows off the texture much better. To keep it legit, here's mine:

gh3_grn_wht_cottonwood_seed_pod_299_95_dlt.jpg

It's not as stunning in that picture; most of the seed pod material in mine is on the right-hand side. Still, it's quite unique, and my favorite set of scales out of the knives in my small collection..

This is my first knife I bought from Václav MacWasil Dokoupil at Mac Wasil knives about a year and a half ago. I love this knife! Performs very well. I had two more similar made, one was DLC K390/Black G10/Blacked-out, and the other was thunderstorm Kevlar handle/Ti bolster/S110V satin blade. All are amazing!

Thanks, I'm still VERY new to making knives I think this is about #8. I still have a few spalted blocks that I'm thinking of having professionally stabilized. Some of the end grain cuts are gorgeous.
Yes we are replanting soybeans today, that were originally lost due to flooding.

While probably not up snuff amongst some of these beauties, here is the first one of my knives I used wood scales on. They are spalted pecan from my yard, finished with Tru-Oil.

Nonsense! Spalted woods are wonderful ... and your spalted pecan is a looker. Here are two spalted woods from my collection ... a spalted maple and a spalted tamarind.

LKqUwiw.jpg

n0Pah5E.jpg

Last edited:
How about if it used to be tree eggs?

Bark River Gunny Hunter, Green & White Cottonwood Seed Pod:
gh3_grn_wht_cottonwd_seed_pod_299_95_dlt.jpg

Note: I don't own the knife in that picture, but it shows off the texture much better. To keep it legit, here's mine:

gh3_grn_wht_cottonwood_seed_pod_299_95_dlt.jpg

It's not as stunning in that picture; most of the seed pod material in mine is on the right-hand side. Still, it's quite unique, and my favorite set of scales out of the knives in my small collection..

Kemikos, "tree eggs" definitely qualifies! I've been oggling the pine cone handles on some of those barkies - looks kinda cool but I don't want to buy one of those sight unseen (some are just great, some a bit too gaudy for me).

Nice knife, btw!

Just looked this knife up , what a beautiful piece of steel

Thanks sfrigon, it is indeed a nice piece. The one thing I don't like about it is the hollow grind - I generally prefer convex or flat ground knives. But the ebony they used on mine is really nice... in some light it appears pitch black, while in a different light you can nicely see the grain of the wood (as in the picture above).

I have never seen spalted Pecan it looks awesome ! It resembles Bocote whis one of my favorites.

Someone earlier on mentioned Opinel, and they are indeed interesting when it comes to wooden handles. Using the fancy terminology we have for our modern Ti knives one could say a defining feature of Opinels is their integral wooden handle (i.e., a handle made from a single piece of wood) ;).

My Opis don't feature spectacular grain or carving, but the handle of my oak Opi #8 took five years to grow (it shows five tree rings on the butt end), which I find kinda cool...

Here it is accompanying me on a hike I did this weekend.
9JSyerG.jpg

Re1gw7s.jpg

Back