Forced lemon patina on BK62

Home from work... removed those half slices. Didn't really give me that perfect lemon pattern that the other side got, but I do like how it turned out. Those dry scales soaked up so much wax I actually loaded them up with a thick layer and let them sit for 6 hours. In hindsight I really should have oiled them first... though using it will be beneficial to both the handle and the patina. The BK62 is such a versatile knife, I'll have it with me on the farm and in the kitchen. So tomorrow I'll sharpen the edge and it'll be good to go!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
20201028_221021.jpg 20201028_221037.jpg 20201028_221050.jpg 20201028_221101.jpg

Edit to add closeup...
20201028_224219.jpg

Last edited:
Home from work... removed those half slices. Didn't really give me that perfect lemon pattern that the other side got, but I do like how it turned out. Those dry scales soaked up so much wax I actually loaded them up with a thick layer and let them sit for 6 hours. In hindsight I really should have oiled them first... though using it will be beneficial to both the handle and the patina. The BK62 is such a versatile knife, I'll have it with me on the farm and in the kitchen. So tomorrow I'll sharpen the edge and it'll be good to go!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
View attachment 1445580 View attachment 1445581 View attachment 1445582 View attachment 1445583

Edit to add closeup...
View attachment 1445592
Wow! That really did come out great looking. Seems perfect for working or living on a lemon farm. Well done! I look forward to pics over time after more use.

Wow! That really did come out great looking. Seems perfect for working or living on a lemon farm. Well done! I look forward to pics over time after more use.
Thank you! This was fun... I'd never done anything like this. The 62 really seems like it is asking for modifications, though I wouldn't shorten the blade. I like the length. And I already loved so much the utility-related aspects of its design. Those scales are way better feeling too!

Thanks again!!!

Love those screws and that the gold liners. What are the liners made from?

Thanks.
The hardware and liners are solid Brass.
I like them A lot, it makes a world of difference in how the blade feels. I bought my daughter one too, but left the liners off hers, because she is still young and has small hands.
Night and day difference.
It Does add weight, but the extra weight puts it right in your hand where I want it. I feel the balance is Great. For me.

Thanks.
The hardware and liners are solid Brass.
I like them A lot, it makes a world of difference in how the blade feels. I bought my daughter one too, but left the liners off hers, because she is still young and has small hands.
Night and day difference.
It Does add weight, but the extra weight puts it right in your hand where I want it. I feel the balance is Great. For me.
I thought it looks metallic, not G10 or anything. REALLY cool. Did you have them made or make them yourself? I definitely like the idea of a more substantial handle. Plus they look great. And those screws are classy too. I got my 62 here in the Exchange and the dude had heat anodized the hardware. Kinda unique.

Great thread! I'm doing a mustard/vinegar patina throughout today to see how it turns out. I also applied some Boos cutting board oil to the scales as they were dry dry from the factory. I do have a set of micarta scales on the way that I'll swap but it's great to have the originals that I'm going to do some patina work on also as an option. Pictures on the way once I'm done with the forced patina.

bigsurbob bigsurbob

Sorry I missed your results, looks good! I noticed you posted Oct 31st of last year. That was the day I got COVID. Guessing that's why I missed it.

T tomsch

Thanks for bumping this one back up. Looking forward to your results.

I love a good patina thread. Donโ€™t know how I missed this one the first time around.

I usually use onions. Just stab a large onion and wait 2 or 3 days.

view

Last edited:
I love a good patina thread. Donโ€™t know how I missed this one the first time around.

I usually use onions. Just stab a large onion and wait 2 or 3 days. View attachment 1608949
Looks Great !
I just recently wiped my 10 with alcohol, than a mix of apple cider vinegar, hot sauce and mustard. came out nice and dark about 10 minutes.
A0A06755-C4BD-4238-B296-3E5DADE3F25A.jpeg21BE3AB3-6D11-4F11-A4C0-01AFFB3FA4B3.jpeg
No more blinding shine from my 10 :cool:

I like what you did to your scales.

We demand results!

My 62 in its various stages from current state to beginning:

m6499MKh.jpg

DVSNiU9h.jpg

97ZJqmth.jpg

2n6XUJ1h.jpg

qv2g8c5h.jpg

UwieJaVh.jpg

nGLL1Thh.jpg

h7ZRFsCh.jpg

Interesting tid-bit I learned, after getting the patina I wanted through a lengthy hot vinegar massage, the patina still evolved through use! So for those that say the best patina is gained through use, I believe forcing an initial patina is just a starting point!
Bringing this thread up. In the 3rd picture down the one with the coffee cup. Are these scales dyed? If so what color, cause I really like it.

Back