Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

Last edited:
I think you did a great job!
What did you use to shape the cup part? Did you ever get a swage block?
I just used the hardy hole and a large ball pein hammer, it worked surprisingly well. I started with 3/8 rod, and took the handle into an octagon. I should have isolated a larger section for the bowl, I kind of ran out of material:oops:. I guess I could use it for a flux spoon one day.

I just used the hardy hole and a large ball pein hammer, it worked surprisingly well. I started with 3/8 rod, and took the handle into an octagon. I should have isolated a larger section for the bowl, I kind of ran out of material:oops:. I guess I could use it for a flux spoon one day.
It would make a great flux spoon!:thumbsup: You did a good job! I've seen guys use stumps dished out some to make bowls and spoons as well. In the words of Gunny, "improvise, adapt, overcome "!:D

Have you ever tried Iron Mountain flux? I bought a bottle a couple of years ago, works great, especially mild to mild.
IMF.jpg

Brian, the guy in the video, makes it look soooo easy!:rolleyes::mad:
Recognized his voice right off the bat. I like how everything is deliberate, you can tell every strike he makes has purpose, as opposed to my "hit it a thousand times and hope for the best" technique lol.

Ha, that's funny..... Triple H Forge, 'Hit it Hard and Hope for the best!'

My wife and I stopped at one of the trendy little home decor shops in town and I found these.

DoN6G4t.jpg

Machine made as they were all identical.

I need to find a foofy shop like that and make a deal.... artisanal, organic, handcrafted, recycled, all natural nails, 5 bucks a pop! :rolleyes:

There are probably a dozen foofy shops in our little downtown area that sell stuff like that. 4" Bundles of birch sticks tied with jute for $12, Birch coasters (1/2" slice of 5" birch for $4.99. 5" X 5" vintage looking ceramic tiles with letters on them for $10 each.

I found a full cowhide with hair that they had on display as a rug for $800 in one shop.

Of course there are the $30 throw pillows that say "Live, Laugh, Love" or Home Sweet Home" or a print of a water colored dragonfly in every one of them.

I don't see many people walking out with them o_O.

Back