Forging: Can I Play With Madness!

One thing I know I need is a finer wire brush, these small pieces seem to slip through the bristles. I've got some smaller brushes, but they have plastic handles.

One thing I know I need is a finer wire brush, these small pieces seem to slip through the bristles. I've got some smaller brushes, but they have plastic handles.
You can use the little brass ones, and it will color it slightly with brassy tint. Just a variation.

Beeswax or some floor or car wax with carnauba wax works well. I'm with you on the linseed oil, works on a lot of thins, but dont care for the smell.

I see it - I really see it :confused:

NO - really :thumbsup:

Keep on it my Brother. You'll make us proud some day :)

R

I need to get some mild steel in various thicknesses,aybe from onlinmetals. Looking forward to a couple of projects I have planned in 52100.

My hammer fetish continues. While ordering the rounding hammer from Lilie Forge, I mentioned that I might be interested in a Jewelers hammer. His Jewelers hammers we're on the heavy side for me so discussed it and I sent a sketch. A kind of miniature dog head hammer with a 3/4" flat face with a rounded back, less than half a pound for peening pins. Anyways, long hammer story short, just got some pictures. 5.5 oz head.
27786.jpeg
27775.jpeg

My hammer fetish continues. While ordering the rounding hammer from Lilie Forge, I mentioned that I might be interested in a Jewelers hammer. His Jewelers hammers we're on the heavy side for me so discussed it and I sent a sketch. A kind of miniature dog head hammer with a 3/4" flat face with a rounded back, less than half a pound for peening pins. Anyways, long hammer story short, just got some pictures. 5.5 oz head.
View attachment 974850
View attachment 974849
Very cool, John!:cool::thumbsup:

Damn, I need to check in more often. Neat stuff.

That is cool. As a tool nut that hammer really pushes my buttons.
I started buying Quikwerk hammers lately. I only have a couple so far but one is 16lbs.

Trinkets have their place, these small projects are teaching me a lot about hammer technique, how metal moves, heats and cools. Imagining something and then figuring out how to forge it is a good exercise, it's a lot harder than you might imagine.

It's not the most anatomically correct, but this is the cowbell in my head.
IMG_20180901_171000-1024x1367.jpg
IMG_20180901_171023-1024x1366.jpg
IMG_20180901_171052-1024x1367.jpg
IMG_20180901_171131-1024x1366.jpg IMG_20180901_165448-1024x769.jpg

Pretty sweet. :thumbsup: Working in miniature certainly can force you to refine and up your game.
Nicely done. The (little) cows would be proud to wear. :)

Ray

That is so freaking cool. You iz talented my friend.

A drop point almost wants to form itself. Probably a side effect of the forging that I've seen. Wasn't really planning anything here.
IMG_20180903_104537-1024x1366.jpg

Ha, well I meant to forge a blade like object, just didn't really have a plan of what kind other than a length. It's 52100

Nice!!:thumbsup:
Mine always look like mutated fillet knives.:(
I doubt that!

I'll tell you what was handy, I bought some chalkboard paint and painted a dry erase board that I had (for some reason wouldn't erase anymore). Anyways, I sketched the first few steps before I started and then some of the steps as I went. Kind of helped me visualize what was going on.

Back