• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fossil Walrus artifact damascus dagger w/stand "SOLD"

DanGraves

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is another bigger dagger than I usually build and the artifact handle called for it. The handle is a ancient artifact that is a ice tester and the other end was something else and I don't know as it was broke off. The end of the handle is where it broke. thI cut the end and it is in the picture and comes with the dagger. The other end was a blunt point and it is the one hidden by the ferrule. Of course I ground it off the make the dagger. It is fossil walrus ivory. The handle was dug from private native lands by Inuit Indians on St. Lawrence Island off of Alaska. I did a little shaping on the end. Fittings are nickel silver and sterling. I made the Ladder pattern Damascus out of 1080 and 15n20 steel for the blade. The dagger is ground from 1/4" thick billet and the Blade length is 9 inches inches long and overall length is 14 1/8 inches. The stand is made from solid stock of brass. After machining and sanding to a fine brush finish I coated the brass with a lacquer that prevents tarnish. It is heavy. The dagger is sharp and VERY pointy. This is one of my finer pieces. The set is "SOLD" and 15.00 for mail in USA address . My paypal is dangraves4923@earthlink.net Thanks and enjoy the photo's.

Don,t say Damascus when paying by paypal as homeland security will put a hold on it.

Cant ship to New York, California and New Jersey. There is a ban there on all
ivories.

Last edited:
Thanks guy's. These are a favorite of mine to build. It is always a challenge to get the grinds correct but I love the challenge.

I would have bought it in a heart beat if I were not living in NY. Sigh.

Truly beautiful work, Dan.

The handle was dug from private native lands by Siberian Yupik Eskimos on St. Lawrence Island off of Alaska.
Added the PROPER terminology!

It's an outstanding Piece Dan, Love The Pattern on Your Damascus, and the history on the ivory..Wow!

Always great to hear from your peers. Thanks. Hope this finds a home as I might have to keep it.

Back