Fox River Magnum Passaround

OH, OH, OH, I'm next!

Looking forward to this.

When I signed up for this, I really didn't have much intrest in owning a BRKT, but figured it would be nice to see one in person. Now I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival and am seriously considering getting myself a Barkie for EDC.

Do it brother...you will not be disappointed. Barkies and Gossmans are my two favorite blades in the business.

As soon as KSF has a Woodland special in green canvas, I'll most likely make the jump.

Hopefully its not too soon because I'm broke.

On my first day of using the knife, I was impressed with how large it was. I had never handled a BRKT but expected them to be small knives. I know this is the Mag version, but I was impressed regardless. I think it would be too large for my EDC but nice for around the house jobs or short hikes.

Without first sharpening it as it was fairly sharp, I took it outside to attack some downed oak branches. It chopped 3" branches fairly easy, but had a harder time with anything over that. I didn't baton anything, because it's not my knife.

I took it inside and gave it the 320/1000/2000 sandpaper over mouse pad treatment and it sharpened right up. You should see my office; there is sliced papers all over the place, and bald spots on my arm. I love this full convex grind that BRKT is famous for. Not sure how beneficial it would be in the woods without a strop, but it's great around the house/farm.

Finally, I paired it with my EDC, a Glock 27, then my EDD (Every Day Drink), a good double malt 15 year old Scotch.

I will send this out on Thursday after playing with it for another day.

Attachments

• Fox River.jpg
    Fox River.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Fox River & Glock 27.jpg
    Fox River & Glock 27.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Fox River Glock & Scotch.jpg
    Fox River Glock & Scotch.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 52
Good review J, feel free to baton with it. As long as its wood your batonning, no cinder blocks please. Great pics, and good choice of beverage!

I was never worried, I was just bringing it back up to help you find it.:D

OK guys, I've been playing with the Magnum for a few days now and I really like it.

I'm new to the BRK&T thing, this was the first barkie I've ever handled, and I'm very impressed with the fit and finish and just the overall quality of the knife. It has enough imperfections that you know it's a handmade, And I consider that a good thing, but the thing is just truly beautiful. I've never seen G-10 look as nice as it does on this knife.

The sheath is very nice quality, smells fantastic, beautiful stiching, great color and feels very durable. With that said, I was a bit disappointed with the retention. It feels a bit loose but this knife being a prototype I'm not assuming this is typical. I guess with that deep of a pocket sheath, you don't have to be worried about the knife falling out unless you end up upside down so it is what it is.

I didn't put the screws to the knife so to speak, but I did carry it for a day and did all the typical knife things with it, nail trimming, package opening, sewer unclogging.....OK, I didn't really unclog a sewer, but I bet it could.

I normally like to prep a meal with a blade while I test it, but with my Dad passing away the other day, we haven't been doing much cooking. I did take it to the kitchen to play a bit and see how it did. I did a bit of slicing and dicing like I would were I making my homemade salsa.

knifetest001.jpg

knifetest003.jpg

knifetest007.jpg

Is it a kitchen knife, no. It's thick, but it did the job without a complaint.

A few days later, I took it to my workshop and gave it a bit of a workout, some chopping, some batoning (with a rubber mallet) and a little carving.

knifetest008.jpg

knifetest009.jpg

Continued on nexy post.

A bit of battoning.

knifetest010.jpg

knifetest011.jpg

knifetest012.jpg

And a bit of carving.

knifetest014.jpg

As you can see, the edge laughed it all off.

knifetest013.jpg

She made a few friends while she was here. The Fox river is my first Barkie, just got it yesterday.

knifetest019.jpg

Here she is dressed. Tony, I threw in the firesteel for you being such a nice guy and letting us check out your wares. I don't have any blue and black G-10 laying around but I saw that you had another knife in Bocote, so I made you up one of those.

knifetest017.jpg

Overall, I really like this knife and may be picking one up for myself someday. Great size and great design.

knifetest020.jpg

Thanks Tony!

Excellent review, I am glad to see the knife getting some hard use. Even happier to see that the stainless can take it. That was super kind of you for making up that firesteel for me. It is much appreciated bro. Great pics as well. I'm glad you took part in this, I would like you take part in my other pass around also, if your not too busy.

Excellent review, I am glad to see the knife getting some hard use. Even happier to see that the stainless can take it. That was super kind of you for making up that firesteel for me. It is much appreciated bro. Great pics as well. I'm glad you took part in this, I would like you take part in my other pass around also, if your not too busy.

Sounds good, I'll sign up!

Back