Freerk Wieringa Commissioned Bowie - Whole Process w/pics and vid

Excited and wanted to share Hahahaha. I’ve always wanted an awesome big Bowie knife but made the way I wanted. In my searches I came across this maker named Freerk Wieringa (has a pretty cool YouTube channel). After some emails and conversations he said he would be glad to make my blade and my wait began. He says it’ll only take a month. Anyway, I’m just stoked for my first real custom and wanted to share with other blade people.

I’ll make sure to post it up when it arrives. I’ll give it some good testing too. When he sends me the drawings I’ll post them up too.

C Cryptyc Congrats!

What makers offered something close, or what had your eye prior to contacting the maker?

What did you want changed to make it "yours"?

NJBill,
I’ll focus on what I liked about Freerk’s Bowies specifically. They are huge! Not just the blade length but the width. I like how he hammers just about every piece of the knife. His videos showing his whole process made me feel confident in how he operates and the dedication He has to his craft. His artwork paper to anvil is amazing. His technique seemed old school to me and his Bowies have an old look/traditional look to them (what I envision). It’s an all beef knife, no bullshit and he was willing to do what I wanted.

I want a specific handle shape that he doesn’t usually do with his Bowies, more similar to his fighter one he made, smoothed grind lines, full exposed tang with some ability for hammering/crushing/striking, and a sharpened swedge. That’s what is a bit different from his regular Bowie knives that he does.

I’m excited for when I get the initial artwork so I can see if it’s spot on or do some changes before metal hits anvil!

You should post the whole process from the perspective of a first time custom buyer. We'd all enjoy it and if it goes well it will drum up more work for the maker.
I would love to see this.

It would also be wise to let him know about your doing this. This way, if he wants to add any info, or explain why he takes some steps, or speak to any particulars, he can do so.

You should post the whole process from the perspective of a first time custom buyer. We'd all enjoy it and if it goes well it will drum up more work for the maker.
I definitely will. I’ll keep updating this thread as I get updates from him. I have to admit that I hope he makes one of his awesome videos when making my knife. I’d like to watch that with my son, and also it would be neat to see my exact blade being made.

I would love to see this.

It would also be wise to let him know about your doing this. This way, if he wants to add any info, or explain why he takes some steps, or speak to any particulars, he can do so.
So interesting you said that, I asked his permission before posting this thread and he said go for it. I’ll email him the link for this thread. Maybe he’ll get a membership.

I know it's a touchy subject sometimes but I am curious what price range we are talking? I quite like his work and he is even sorta close (2 hrs north from me) :thumbsup:

danbot,
Thank you!

b00n,
Much much less than what you'd think for a bowie that is huge and hand-forged. Out of respect for the maker, I won't post his price here. I'm not sure how that works in the custom world and when people have asked him that publicly on YouTube and Facebook, he always said to e-mail him directly.

Side note, you live in the Netherlands? That's cool.

danbot,
Thank you!

b00n,
Much much less than what you'd think for a bowie that is huge and hand-forged. Out of respect for the maker, I won't post his price here. I'm not sure how that works in the custom world and when people have asked him that publicly on YouTube and Facebook, he always said to e-mail him directly.

Side note, you live in the Netherlands? That's cool.

Very West Germany. I can almost throw stones into Holland, Belgium and France :D
And yeah, fair enough I never quite understood the seeming secrecy though, I get that makers say "base price XXX dollars" because materials and options drive a base price up, but not giving at least a rough "standard knives start at XXX dollars" at least. :oops:
Anyway not anything against you, you're just respecting him. :thumbsup:

Congratulations! I just looked at his work on facebook and that fellow seems to like BIG, beefy blades. Looking forward to seeing yours.

b00n,
That's cool. I sent you a PM.

herdbull,
dude, big beefy blades seem to be his jam. Like I said above, he puts a lot of steel into them. I've always wanted a beefy bowie and I think he will deliver splendidly.

Back