French regional knives...

What brands are best quality,which ones are best deal for money?I am falling in love with some of these traditional patterns of knives,and am tired of modern tactical stuff,but do not want to spend too much money either,i have 5 opinels,and 2 laguioles,and am looking for something different.First one on the list is vendetta style traditional knife by Au Sabot,all input welcome!

Ive seen these ones,thanx for picture,was thinking of ordering some of his knives,as i love spanish patterns too.How is edge holding on these?I wanna edc all of these knives and am more user than collector.Have over 100 knives but used all of them,my tactical midern knives are sitting in box for past 5-6years,as i use mostly opinels and saks for basically anything.

Ive seen these ones,thanx for picture,was thinking of ordering some of his knives,as i love spanish patterns too.How is edge holding on these?I wanna edc all of these knives and am more user than collector.Have over 100 knives but used all of them,my tactical midern knives are sitting in box for past 5-6years,as i use mostly opinels and saks for basically anything.
Would like to be able to answer the edc question. But I don't edc this knife, as much as José would like for me to. I edc 3 knives (out of several hundred). I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with anything you order from Sr. Herreros.

It depends of what you're ready to pay for and what standard you can accept, au Sabot offers a vast choice with reasonnable prices and finish, but don't expect GEC standard.:) About the same for Chevalerias and the many makes around Thiers who have the knives assembled for them. They are perfect edc, usually longer than US knives, rarely multis.
For example, count 45 / 50€ for this one
couteau_vendetta_corne_noire.jpg

Last edited:
Im not ready to pay much,as i have m9re important things to take care of right now :).I think ill order one of Jose's knives first....then will see,as theyre reasonably priced and beautiful,also seem of very good quality.I just do not know how is the heat treat on these knives or theyre very soft and made for collectors only.Am planing to use all these knives,beat the hell out of Opinels and Saks,they never let me down.

Im not ready to pay much,as i have m9re important things to take care of right now :).I think ill order one of Jose's knives first....then will see,as theyre reasonably priced and beautiful,also seem of very good quality.I just do not know how is the heat treat on these knives or theyre very soft and made for collectors only.Am planing to use all these knives,beat the hell out of Opinels and Saks,they never let me down.
The steel is either Sandvik or Bompertuis who furnishes SAKs, so no problem about heat treatment and endurance.

Chevalerias makes some nice patterns,some i kike even more than vendetta:) will take few days for me to decide or will go for custom navaja or vendetta by Jose

What brand is that vendetta above on pics?Au sabot makes similar one for same pruce
There's no make name because it is assembled in the mountain and sold by a shop/internet site, but chances are very great to be made with the same components as au Sabot.

I carry my knife from José often. The steel is good, 440C. Of course the handles are much prettier than Opinels and SAKs. If you're getting your knives greasy and dirty, use the Opinels and SAKs! I am sure José can answer whatever questions you have.

Some very beautiful knives.Ill have to stick with the less expensive ones.None of the stores in my area and country carry these types of knives,just modern tactical stuff,with few Case and Queen Cutlery knives.I Like French ,Spanish and Italian designs much much better.

Back