French Traditional Knife "Photo and Info" Thread

Recently I have purchased a couple of higher end French knives, and I have been very enamored with their timeless designs and gorgeous lines. I want to use this thread as an opportunity for people share and become more aware of the different classic French knives available.

Please post some pictures, and the make and model information, and any other info you have.

enjoy

Last edited:
Just to get things started,

a Classic Laguiole from Forge De Laguiole MOdel # 1211STCO, in Stabilized Cocobolo, Double Brass Bolsters, T12 Stainless Steel Blade that is mirror polished, and unique to this authentic Laguiole it has no Shepherds cross.

P7060001.jpg

P7060003.jpg

P7060002.jpg

This one is a very trim and beautiful knife in my opinion, made by Chambriard Le Thiers, it is the Compact, model #1717, Curly Birch handle, 12c27n stainless blade

P7060005.jpg

P7060006.jpg

And of course, no French thread would be complete without some Opinels, just a small sample of my many Opinels, they are both #8, however I forget the exacts models

P6200003.jpg

This is great, I was just thinking last night that it would be nice to have a non-US knife thread. Thanks for posting your pictures.

Here's one of mine that BRL says is from Thiers circa 1920's to 1930's:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

[youtube]kgH_I_LoYpk[/youtube]
Paint it black (French cover by Marie Laforet)

Some more photos of ebony handled knives.

ebony-french-knives.jpg

ebony-2.jpg

Opinel No. 2
ebony-no2.jpg

Opinel No. 8
ebony-no8.jpg

Nontron Sabot
ebony-nontron.jpg

Last edited:
Nontron Envelope

img261.jpg

img262.jpg

Nontron Sheaths
img263.jpg

The black sheath was included free with one of the knives but I don't know if it is a Nontron sheath. The brown sheaths were sold separate from the knives. They were also available in black. These sheaths fit the number 25 knives in the previous photos.

Commemorative Opinel Knife
opinel-unusual-1.jpg

There's old school and then there's really old school (except for the blade material). That's pretty cool - though I rather doubt even Opinel goes back quite that far (though their distant ancestors might have, true enough - that region has been occupied for a very, very long time).

Wow, that Ball bottom Nontron in Ebony is spectacular, I am thinking about getting one, but in terms of construction it seems very similar to an opinel, it just has plastic washers. Is the quality and feel that far superior to an Opinel?

That's the oldest pattern in my collection. ;) I have the box for it somewhere but I'm not sure where I put it. ...maybe I'll find it later.

Here's something else that I dug up when looking for the box. It's a small leather Opinel keychain sheath for a No 4.

img266.jpg

Back