French traditionnal knives

I read that in the original post, but I just wasn't exactly clear about it, but thanks for the additional description. I see them a lot at World Knives and cutlerytogo. Are there any other sites anyone would recommend? :thumbup:

I still have some doubts about the technical vocabulary, but i think your "slip joint" term does not describe the "cran forcé". But as a picture worth thousand words, i made a little schematic so everyone can make the difference and understand how this kind of lock works and feels. If someone recognize it and know the specific term in english, please let me know.
2117474857.jpg

But if you decide to "take the plunge" (i learn new expressions here), look at the price you can have where you live, and then let me know, maybe prices are more interesting here. I can even go to the factory, it's 20 minutes from home on foot.

Sir, that is a very kind offer.
I appreciate your willingness to share your information and your services.

Dean

Thank you for that diagram. The English term "slip joint" would refer to the lower picture, where only the flat spring keeps tension on the tang when open. It looks like the cran force has an extra "cam" sort of like a lockback only angled so it doesn't truly lock, but makes it so that much greater pressure on the blade is required before it will close than on a typical slip joint. SOund right to anybody? :D:eek:

Thank you for that diagram. The English term "slip joint" would refer to the lower picture, where only the flat spring keeps tension on the tang when open. It looks like the cran force has an extra "cam" sort of like a lockback only angled so it doesn't truly lock, but makes it so that much greater pressure on the blade is required before it will close than on a typical slip joint. SOund right to anybody? :D:eek:

Sounds about right. The reason I called tem slipjoint in an earlier post is that you don't need to disengage a lock to close the knife. Only I wouldn't call it "much" more pressure, just "more" pressure required before it will close.

They are nice, handy folders for general use, and I especially like them for the nice natural handle materials such as nice wood, horn, etc... (As opposed to all those plastic tactical tingy's).

Although French knives are available in the US, and certainly on the internet, the availability is bare ly representative of the wonderful variety that you can find in France.

Over a 3 year period, I taught in an EU course in France. I posted a request (on this site) for knife shop addresses in the area, and a number of French forumites responded. I managed to make it to one shop in the little town I was in. What a variety!!!! Everything from custom to production, Lagiuoles. opinels, douk-douks, and a huge number of thigs that I had never heard of or seen. Pocketknives designed for the kitchen, others for the garden. Some very strange blade shapes--until the owner (who spoke no English, and I speak no French) pantomimed their uses.

Now things are not cheap in Europe, especially to someone on a US (or Israeli) budget. However, there were so many cool things there that every time I visit France, I budget for a long visit to one of those little stores.

Nontron has some intersting looking knives, both slippie and ring lock. The J. Mongin line (pull ring locks like Okapi) look so beautifully made that I frequently go to cutlerytogo's site just to drool. :D Good stuff. I'd love to get a chance to check out a knife shop in France and see all these other goodies we can't get/don't see over here. :cool:

Although French knives are available in the US, and certainly on the internet, the availability is bare ly representative of the wonderful variety that you can find in France.

Over a 3 year period, I taught in an EU course in France. I posted a request (on this site) for knife shop addresses in the area, and a number of French forumites responded. I managed to make it to one shop in the little town I was in. What a variety!!!! Everything from custom to production, Lagiuoles. opinels, douk-douks, and a huge number of thigs that I had never heard of or seen. Pocketknives designed for the kitchen, others for the garden. Some very strange blade shapes--until the owner (who spoke no English, and I speak no French) pantomimed their uses.

Now things are not cheap in Europe, especially to someone on a US (or Israeli) budget. However, there were so many cool things there that every time I visit France, I budget for a long visit to one of those little stores.

This post is worthless without pictures. :)

Let's see what you're buying.

For us folks State-Side, there is a place that has a Very large collection of European knives. The prices are pretty good, as far as I can tell. I'm keeping my eye on a few knives that have piqued my interest...

Here's a link: http://www.cutlerytogo.com/index.html

Happy Hunting!

Daniel

The "cran forcé" is not completely unknown here. It looks a lot like what is used on the Spyderco UKPK.

Damascus & French knives.
Apologies for the rather dum question (I'm only just into knives): can anyone explain the advantage of the `damascus` steel blade (I think that's what they call it)?
I am considering of purchasing a Laguiole hunting knife and would like to know whether the extra cost (for `damascus`blades) is worth the investment. Or are there other more important features I have to give priority? Thanks.

Back