From Bearing to Bowie - a Knife by Stuart Branson

No big surprise with the sheath, Roger. I expected perfect design and execution and that's what Stuart gave you.:thumbup:

Paul

Forging under the power hammer is faster; however, even when we forge down 3" diameter ball bearing under the 150 pound Beaudry it takes much longer than 10 minutes. You did not see the entire forging process for it would have taken more than one DVD to film the entire sequence. Forging at low temp. does two things, first it takes longer as you know, next it allows for grain refinement that would be lost if we forged at high temp. The larger the billet you start with the greater our opportunity to develop the nature of the blade we seek to make.

At one time I used a 10 pound double jack and it took me several days to work them down.

Sorry Ed. I did not mean to presumptuous with my remark. I was only referring to the scene on the DVD of the initial reduction to a billet definitely not the whole forging process. It was a fun if difficult process for me and only serves to increase my respect for the work you put into developing your methods. That you forged many a bearing by hand is not lost on me one bit.

Last edited:
No problem Stuart I knew you did not mean to make it sound like the power hammer made working blades down from larger stock a high production method, just did not want folks to misunderstand. I did not take offence, it is however much faster than the way you worked yours down.

You did develop one fine package, knife, scabbard, handle, like Roger said it is all the little things coming together that makes for a great knife and that is one.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed. Yes, I certainly did not mean that.
Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Back