From Billet to Sheet - Crucible CPM-S35vn hot rolling at Niagara Specialty Metals

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
I've been promising Bob at Niagara Specialty Metals that I'd do a thread documenting how they take a billet of Crucible steel and make it something that you and I can use and purchase, and I finally got the opportunity today. It all happens SO quickly, it's difficult to photograph! I hope I manage to do the experience justice...

It begins with a billet. A BIG billet, that comes from the mills of Crucible Steel. They're freighted to Niagara Specialty Metals, and from this point the end products are distributed everywhere else. If it's Crucible CPM Steel, it was rolled here - they're the exclusive rolling mill for Crucible sheet product, which is essentially everything related to the knife industry, and they do work for many other steel mills, as well. Here's Bob standing next to a stack of CPM-S35vn waiting to be cut up and broken down. Oddly enough, he wasn't wearing shorts and an Hawaiian shirt when I got there, despite the temps being a balmy 34 degrees today ;):

24925614415_5377b6f6d4_b.jpg

Next step is the bandsaw, where a section of one of those monster bars is cut off:

24557990279_07f7fe1f31_b.jpg

Next, it's into the furnace - the BIG furnace. When the door is opened to this one, it is not unlike standing at the gates of hell - you feel the heat emanating from it all the way across the room! A quick glimpse in the peephole shows the 2150 degree temperature inside:

24630156500_658cf030be_b.jpg

This is the big roller. It's this one that does the power work, taking that thick chunk of steel and progressively breaking it down into a sheet.

24832277101_f95440c48f_b.jpg

The guys had started very early this morning, so by the time I got there the chunk was already looking pretty much like a sheet - a big one, though. this likely weighs in around 150 pounds. A fork truck with a single tine and a hand-truck mounted lever are used to manipulate the sheet in and out of the big furnace:

24925612405_b7f4849101_b.jpg

Once it's balanced on the forklift tine, a set of tongs and some fast footwork bring the sheet to the roller:

24807657922_a94b5e6500_b.jpg

24630149540_f88ee770a6_b.jpg

...and in it goes!

24899317026_2073fdbbb7_b.jpg

Moments later, a pair of guys on the other side work a lift and elevate the sheet to the top of the roller, and slide it back on, which sends the sheet back to the original rolling spot to make another pass through:

24557981259_c0bc6085f8_b.jpg

This continues until a predetermined thickness is achieved, and then it's sent to another building where the smaller, precision roller is.

24558001749_37b2ef27be_b.jpg

Smaller kilns are used, here, as well as MUCH lower temperatures. I'm pretty sure Bob said the bulk of the rolling at this stage is done at 1450 degrees. Into the kiln the sheets go:

24899332946_f5b4f4c2fc_b.jpg

24807670882_8c7425ba5c_b.jpg

Here, the sheets are in a far more manageable size and weight, so a hand cart and tongs are all that's necessary:

24899330716_e0a00f423d_b.jpg

The roller is preheated to reduce stress on the sheet, as well as maintain proper temps for the rolling process. The entire rolling operation, at this stage, occurs in a single heat, and FAST. In seconds, it's done. Several passes through and then it's off to the measuring table:

24807673002_76248322f2_b.jpg

24832285511_1170e81636_b.jpg

24832284291_77f5c0778a_b.jpg

24899327306_a618619e06_b.jpg

24832271181_838f36133c_b.jpg

There's a chap on the other side of the measuring table, too, and one measurement per side at the same point across is taken, in several locations down the length of the sheet:

24298751523_7706b861bc_b.jpg

If the correct size hasn't been achieved, the sheet will be reheated and go through this last process again, but in all the times I've been to visit, I've never seen it necessary - these guys get it right the first time!

Although some of the sheet is bandsaw cut for the next step, this particular order was specified as shear cut:

24630143340_548c5b0094_b.jpg

The final product, neatly stack and slowly air cooling:

24630157920_dd5627e7c2_b.jpg

Many other steps beyond this can be performed here, such as precision flattening, belt finish, descaling, and even precision grinding:

24832267641_6f4cd195cd_b.jpg

I think I remember Bob saying that the magnetic table on this precision grinder is 20 inches wide!

They also have full waterjet services available, too.

24630142020_0a6e859c1a_b.jpg

I saved this bit for last - because you really do need to SEE the speed of the precision rolling process, I had the brains to record a quick video of it, from start to finish:

[video=youtube;7Ulmz3zaDQg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ulmz3zaDQg[/video]

Hope you enjoyed this, gang!

Last edited:
That was Awesome.
Did you sneak a couple sheets out for me. ;)

How long does it take for such a chunk of steel to reach rolling temp..?

Ah ha I knew it, all steel is forged and the amount of forging I add is nothing compared to what has been done to it already.

How long does it take for such a chunk of steel to reach rolling temp..?

Good question, Russ!!

As I missed the initial heat of the big chunk, I don't know, but I'll ask and see if they have an idea.

That's really cool to see the process. It's probably been done that way by hand from the get-go huh? I would have guessed it was done by some automated process.

Very interesting and amazing. It almost makes you want to never complain about the price of a blade size bar stock. Can you imagine the machinery costs, fuel costs, maintenance costs etc without figuring wages insurance etc! WOW

I love seeing massive forging equipment, and I've spent more time than I care to admit on YouTube watching some mammoth operations. Always fascinates me, thanks for the look!

Justin

I love these threads... thanks Matt and Niagara!

A few of those sheets would be perfect for my tactical wheelbarrow build.

Awesome! Thanks for taking time to share this! Very interesting to read your commentary and check out the video and pictures.

Thanks again!

best

mqqn

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing these great pre-knife WIP pics.:)

Glad you like it, guys.

Russ, this is the response I got from Bob:

The general rule of thumb for furnace time is 1 hour per inch of material. The S35-VN blocks are in the furnace at 2150F for about 5 hours before we start to roll them.

5 hours, wow! How do they combat decarb? Is the furnace flooded with nitrogen or something?

Thanks for posting this, Matt! Very interesting.

I just called them last week looking for some steel. Was disappointed to learn they only have flat stock...

Glad you like it, guys.

Russ, this is the response I got from Bob:

The general rule of thumb for furnace time is 1 hour per inch of material. The S35-VN blocks are in the furnace at 2150F for about 5 hours before we start to roll them.

Thanks for posting this Matt. I always assumed that there would be a complicated thermal cycling procedure after it was rolled to prepare it for optimum H/T but I guess I was wrong. The next time you chat with Bob, please ask him if this stuff is ready to go as is or does it need any "extra work" done to get the most out of it.

5 hours, wow! How do they combat decarb? Is the furnace flooded with nitrogen or something?

Thanks for posting this, Matt! Very interesting.

I just called them last week looking for some steel. Was disappointed to learn they only have flat stock...

Looking for round bar, bud? Not sure they really offer too many alloys that lend themselves to being hit with a hammer...

Matt,
Thanks for the post. We're going to have to hire you as our PR guy someday.

Phillip,
The furnaces are gas and we run them as a reducing atmosphere. There is still some decarb after the final process unless we belt grind it decarb free. The depth will vary depending on the grade. You can contact Latrobe Distribution or SB Specialty Metals if you need some rounds.

Darrin,
All of our steel is fully annealed after hot rolling so it's as soft as it's ever going to get when it leaves here.

Back