1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Front Flipper Button Lock Design

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CO_EDC, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jaydud

Jaydud Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Very interesting design. I’m definitely following this thread.

2. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I was making a joke. This pocket clip looks nice on it, but I wonder if a rear mounted clip might not be a little easier to have machined instead of milling and tapping two spots for the clip.

3. Idahonotu

Idahonotu

Mar 24, 2016
    You should call this the scamwari lol. When closed it looks a little too close to Gareths 3 inch model with a button lock and slightly dropped tip. Probably so it was not an exact copy... It's different enough to justify making but definently not showing professional courtesy. Plus Gareth bull has a economy shamwari coming out soon so all the people who want one will have access to them. I'm interested in this but also slightly offended...

4. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    You’re not allowed to observe that! Quit being a buzz kill!

Maybe if GB would actually fix some of his messed up knives we wouldn’t have to resort to this.

Sharp & Fiery, b00n and Idahonotu like this.
  5. Idahonotu

Idahonotu

Mar 24, 2016
    I agree. He has notoriously bad customer service and for some weird reason internet knife reviewer's seem to get better treatment than everybody else... not to mention over hype so many knives that once in hand are great but certainly not the holy grail hype beasts would have you believe. I really dislike buying knives made out of the country or have maker's that are difficult to get repairs or communicate with. I would love to see the OP make this same knife but with a wharncliff. It would set him apart from the previously mentioned and make it a even more desirable model for knife guys.

Lapedog likes this.
  6. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014

A 3.25 inch front flipping wharncliffe might have me buying multiples

Idahonotu likes this.
  7. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    I appreciate your input. I wasn't trying to make it shamwari-esque. I wanted a simple design with the blade completely "hidden" in the handle. But I'll look closer at the shamwari and maybe add something to my design to make it stand out more. Thanks

Idahonotu likes this.
  8. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Its a great design. I disagree with the wharncliffe idea. Love the original blade shape. It does remind me of a shamwari too, but i think its different enough. And i own a shamwari. 3" blade and im out. I hate 3" FFs. Not enough handle to flip comfortably. And i have smaller than medium hands.
    Sweet spot is 3.25" or 3.3". Just my opinion.
    Overall, love this blade, even tho its a concept right now, @CO_EDC

sechip likes this.
  9. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Don’t bow to the pressure. Do the right thing.

Leave the design alone!

Any changes now will only be speedbumps to the project and all around bad juju.

You weren’t copying the shamwari anyway so who cares. The Shamwari is a copy of the Sebenza practically.

10. Idahonotu

Idahonotu

Mar 24, 2016
    I not suggesting he do a complete redesign just saying it's a touch too close for comfort for me and some suddle changes would go a long way to people on the fence for the same reason. I think it's really easy with the classic drop point shape to think this it's the most appealing blade shape. You really should look into Trevor burger most recent wharncliff's something along similar shape. There are every bit as timeless and beautiful as a drop point and more functional not to mention it really sets it's self apart. I would absolutely love to see that as the second rendition of this knife If successful. Anyways I really like what you have so far just trying to be objective and constructive for your benifit!

11. Idahonotu

Idahonotu

Mar 24, 2016
    I have some really cool designs for knifes in this size range if you ever need to brainstorm. Nothing on cad but definently some stuff to get the gears turning if you get creative block.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I can tell you love FFs as much as I do so I will speak with you honestly.

You and I both know the shamwari is a great design that Gareth Bull has not done justice too. This design is different enough to be original. Please put your squirmishness aside and leave this front flipper passion project be.

Actually most people interested in this like it exactly the way it is so your concern that people who love this will look down on it for being shamwow inspired is misplaced.

I’m not saying your points are not valid but front flipper fanatics who are tired of so many front flippers faking the funk want to see this happen. Please do not drive a stake through our hearts.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  13. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    Haha my bad. That was actually my first thought (since the pocket clip is solid). By rear mounted clip do you mean the one I showed pictures of earlier in this thread? I'm still leaning towards that clip. But it was easier for me to just quickly throw this clip in for the 3D printed model.

14. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    We trust your style. Our only request is that you please consider it as a 3.25 inch knife.

On another note maybe once you get the ti version squared away you could do an aluminum version? The button lock design is very condusive to lightweight materials with good ridgidity.

Could there be a CF version of this knife with only tiny metal liners by the pivot and button in the future? Essentially a “frameless” knife?

Whatever you do I have money put away to support you. Just keep trusting your instincts! I will buy the knives as long as your heart is in it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  15. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    Quit being difficult, just buy a 3 inch model and snap the tip off and regrind lol.

16. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Rear mounted like the Buck Vantage or Marksman. Reversible deep carry with no clip holes on the left side for people to complain about, along with less milling.

17. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I just realized that I never asked you. Do you own a Hogue knife with button lock? In my opinion it is my probably one of the best button lock designs on the market.

2 important things:

If you do not have a Hogue buttonlock please post a message on my profile wall and I will arrange to ship you mine. You should see how the button lock on it works.

And the second thing is a request, I’m not sure if you have decided yet if you want this knife on bearings or not but please if possible consider making it on PB washers. Just a thought.

loon#r and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  18. GrifNK

GrifNK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Any updates?

19. xikteny

xikteny

Jul 6, 2006

20. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    Hey guys, my buddy with the CNC got some very bad news recently. This project is going to be on hold for a while but I hope to start it back up in the future. I will definitely keep you all posted. I appreciate all the enthusiasm and support so far.