Front Flipper Button Lock Design

dkb45 dkb45

Id be the winer. Haha. Gotta have a filler tab...ideally for me just righty pocket clip, but i understand and respect what your saying.

This is such a nice looking design can't wait to see it come to life and hopefully get to handle it assuming I can't afford one.

Start saving up, P PirateSeulb !
If this works well, it will be worth every penny. Im excited.

I've been watching this, and I have a few more suggestions, and a few questions.

First, I'd love to see a lefty clip option on this. Button locks are more or less ambidextrous by nature, easily actuated by thumb or index/middle finger. If the clip is recessed there should be a filler tab, though, so people don't whine.

Second, I think I can explain the flipper orientation a bit better with what I suggested earlier. G&G Hawk do a lot of flippers with a bottom rounded front flipper (parallel to the edge) instead of top mounted. As far as I'm aware, the top mounted flipper is specifically because of laws in South Africa that ban a bottom mounted flipper, like traditional flipper tabs or front mounted ones that disappear into scales when open. A button lock doesn't get in the way of a bottom mounted flipper like a liner or frame lock does, so it's really nice to bring something different to the market.

Third, what steel were you looking at doing? There's a lot of high performance cheap steels out there, from stuff like AEB-L to BD1N (if you can find it, I looked and couldn't), if you don't want to go with super steels.

Lastly, I know it's going to sound silly, but you are going to use hardened Torx or hex fasteners, right? Philips and flat heads are a little cheaper, but they are so prone to stripping.

1. I am going to try and make the clip reversible. I originally had it reversible but seeing extra holes/recess on the opposite side made it look messy. I have a couple ideas on how to clean it up though. I'll play with it and post pictures of what I come up with. So many knives are righty-only that when I first started designing this knife I told myself I'd make it lefty-friendly haha

2. I think I'm following what you are saying. I've seen flippers from G&G Hawk that aren't technically "front" flippers but the flipper tab is still parallel with the blade. The most well known "production" version of this style I can think of is the Spyderco Smock. (Edit: I should have kept reading, the next post mentions the smock!) I like the looks and idea of them. I just wanted to make a "true" front flipper.

3. S35VN

4. Yes, I will be using hardened torx bits. I'm not a fan of philips or flat head screws on knives and soft screws especially drive me crazy

Can't find any info on this thing but it looks like a Paul Axial Lock. Are you familiar with those?

I'm note sure. The Hidden Edge can't be dissassembled as far as I can tell. I've tried for cleaning the purposes, but no. It's sealed not screwed together.

It does appear to be the Paul Axial Iock mechanism looking at the mechanism. It freely opens when the button on the side is pushed and locks up fully extended (button fully) comes back up. Push it again to close. The button is the detent.

Not so smooth anymore, cause it can't be opened. Or maybe it can with some super glue and pliers. It truly was an innovative design back in the days like twenty years ago. Slick. It's never really could be made sharp though. Just okay (mystery metal used but US company).

Paul_Patent_3942249_Abstract_250wds.jpg

Just found this..very impressive! Do you have a rough timeline on when they're be available for order?

That's the million-dollar-question right now. I'm not sure yet. I'm just now starting the prototyping phase and I'm currently working with a couple different companies on the production side. I will definitely let you guys know once I pick a company and get the details worked out with them.

Thanks for your interest!

Just dont rush it. Do it right, and take your time. An amazing product is 1000 times better than a quick buck for a crap knife. :D

That's the million-dollar-question right now. I'm not sure yet. I'm just now starting the prototyping phase and I'm currently working with a couple different companies on the production side. I will definitely let you guys know once I pick a company and get the details worked out with them.

Thanks for your interest!
Go with WE, everybody is using them lol

Go with WE, everybody is using them lol

I've actually been talking to them for a while. They are interested but aren't sure about producing the button lock. They have said they really only do frame and liner locks... But we'll see.

So I think I'm trying to do too many things at once with the pocket clip here but I'll share some pictures anyway. I like the looks of the clip I have shown above. But then I started thinking about making it a true "deep carry" clip AND making it reversible for lefties. On top of that I didn't want any "un-used" holes (which really is where the problems come in). It might come down to making a right handed only version (sorry lefties) or having extra holes.

Anywhere, here's an idea I had. I don't hate it but the clip shown in postings above is much simpler and much cleaner IMO.

tJ6dQiJ.png

GQcy4qr.png

ef4fa0R.png

0Lrhl7R.png

Gxw3pD0.png

What do you all think? This makes it a deep carry clip and gets rid of the barrel spacer. The backspacer and clip are all one piece. (this is still conceptual, there would be other details to work out)

I will tell you why i love it in a couple hrs. :)

C CO_EDC
Do you not have the ability for a PM?

Anyhoo...
I really like the new clip design. Super minimalist. Also, i like that it also acts as a "stand off" between the two scales.
I dislike wrap around clips (where it wraps over the butt end of the scales and is attached by a screw.) if it isnt done properly, then the lip of my jeans wraps under the top of the clip against the butt of the knife and its ridiculously hard to remove from pocket. Example:Extrema Ratio clips.
Your new clip gets around this annoying issue by also being the standoff, and still allows deep carry. :) just my thoughts.

So I think I'm trying to do too many things at once with the pocket clip here but I'll share some pictures anyway. I like the looks of the clip I have shown above. But then I started thinking about making it a true "deep carry" clip AND making it reversible for lefties. On top of that I didn't want any "un-used" holes (which really is where the problems come in). It might come down to making a right handed only version (sorry lefties) or having extra holes.

Anywhere, here's an idea I had. I don't hate it but the clip shown in postings above is much simpler and much cleaner IMO.

tJ6dQiJ.png

GQcy4qr.png

ef4fa0R.png

0Lrhl7R.png

Gxw3pD0.png

What do you all think? This makes it a deep carry clip and gets rid of the barrel spacer. The backspacer and clip are all one piece. (this is still conceptual, there would be other details to work out)
Nice! Is it reversible?

Back