1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Front Flipper Button Lock Design

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by CO_EDC, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    @dkb45

Id be the winer. Haha. Gotta have a filler tab...ideally for me just righty pocket clip, but i understand and respect what your saying.

2. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    This is such a nice looking design can't wait to see it come to life and hopefully get to handle it assuming I can't afford one.

3. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Start saving up, @PirateSeulb!
    If this works well, it will be worth every penny. Im excited.

4. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    1. I am going to try and make the clip reversible. I originally had it reversible but seeing extra holes/recess on the opposite side made it look messy. I have a couple ideas on how to clean it up though. I'll play with it and post pictures of what I come up with. So many knives are righty-only that when I first started designing this knife I told myself I'd make it lefty-friendly haha

2. I think I'm following what you are saying. I've seen flippers from G&G Hawk that aren't technically "front" flippers but the flipper tab is still parallel with the blade. The most well known "production" version of this style I can think of is the Spyderco Smock. (Edit: I should have kept reading, the next post mentions the smock!) I like the looks and idea of them. I just wanted to make a "true" front flipper.

3. S35VN

4. Yes, I will be using hardened torx bits. I'm not a fan of philips or flat head screws on knives and soft screws especially drive me crazy

5. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I would be very happy with s35vn!
    As long as it isn’t s30v.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  6. wensynch

wensynch

Apr 30, 2016
    I'm note sure. The Hidden Edge can't be dissassembled as far as I can tell. I've tried for cleaning the purposes, but no. It's sealed not screwed together.

It does appear to be the Paul Axial Iock mechanism looking at the mechanism. It freely opens when the button on the side is pushed and locks up fully extended (button fully) comes back up. Push it again to close. The button is the detent.

Not so smooth anymore, cause it can't be opened. Or maybe it can with some super glue and pliers. It truly was an innovative design back in the days like twenty years ago. Slick. It's never really could be made sharp though. Just okay (mystery metal used but US company).

[​IMG]

mrknife and SpySmasher like this.
  7. GrifNK

GrifNK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Just found this..very impressive! Do you have a rough timeline on when they're be available for order?

8. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    That's the million-dollar-question right now. I'm not sure yet. I'm just now starting the prototyping phase and I'm currently working with a couple different companies on the production side. I will definitely let you guys know once I pick a company and get the details worked out with them.

Thanks for your interest!

GrifNK likes this.
  9. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Just dont rush it. Do it right, and take your time. An amazing product is 1000 times better than a quick buck for a crap knife. :D

GrifNK likes this.
  10. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Go with WE, everybody is using them lol

11. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    I've actually been talking to them for a while. They are interested but aren't sure about producing the button lock. They have said they really only do frame and liner locks... But we'll see.

12. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    So I think I'm trying to do too many things at once with the pocket clip here but I'll share some pictures anyway. I like the looks of the clip I have shown above. But then I started thinking about making it a true "deep carry" clip AND making it reversible for lefties. On top of that I didn't want any "un-used" holes (which really is where the problems come in). It might come down to making a right handed only version (sorry lefties) or having extra holes.

Anywhere, here's an idea I had. I don't hate it but the clip shown in postings above is much simpler and much cleaner IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think? This makes it a deep carry clip and gets rid of the barrel spacer. The backspacer and clip are all one piece. (this is still conceptual, there would be other details to work out)

loon#r and spyderg like this.
  13. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I love it.

14. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I will tell you why i love it in a couple hrs. :)

15. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    Standing by! :thumbsup:

16. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    @CO_EDC
    Do you not have the ability for a PM?

17. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Anyhoo...
    I really like the new clip design. Super minimalist. Also, i like that it also acts as a "stand off" between the two scales.
    I dislike wrap around clips (where it wraps over the butt end of the scales and is attached by a screw.) if it isnt done properly, then the lip of my jeans wraps under the top of the clip against the butt of the knife and its ridiculously hard to remove from pocket. Example:Extrema Ratio clips.
    Your new clip gets around this annoying issue by also being the standoff, and still allows deep carry. :) just my thoughts.

W. Anderson likes this.
  18. CO_EDC

CO_EDC

Oct 9, 2012
    I'm not sure, let me check

19. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Cool design. I'll be watching this closely.

20. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Nice! Is it reversible?