Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Thanks for the great info. I also like front flippers more than regular because of the tab sticking out of the back. The front tab let's the knife look more sleek. Definitely want to get a Feist. How is the Katsu? Been looking at that one too. Haven't seen the Mosquito one, looks interesting.

The G5 is great and lightweight. Got one for my daughter too. Only downside is the smooth aluminum. It does make it slick at times but it's tolerable.
The latest front flipper i got was the Real Steel G3 Puukko. I am really liking it, pretty heavy but i like the look and might get the titanium version.

https://imgur.com/a/kIk8Gnq

The Katsu is fairly inexpensive but can only be found on one site named after a large river in South America. The quality is amazing, outstanding for the price, probably the best knife I have ever seen at that price. The only issues are that it is quite a large knife with a 4 inch blade and quite thick from scale to scale. Blade is vg10. Action and build quality are amazing.

The Feist is just an amazing little knife. It is one of my favourite edc knives of all time. You literally don’t even notice you are carrying it in your pocket. The quality is very good and I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to getting an EXK Plus from Trevor Burger, but in the meantime there's this:
c5Vfyns.jpg

can't wait to see what's going to be a Blade Show West. I'd like to see more front flippers or even models with both front and back flipper tabs.

can't wait to see what's going to be a Blade Show West. I'd like to see more front flippers or even models with both front and back flipper tabs.

I honestly think a back flipper tab or thumbstuds ruins the whole point of a front flipper. The truth is that front flippers main advantage is the sleek styling and minimalist look they give the knife. They aren’t really the most intuitive or effective way to open a blade so I feel like I would never use the front flipper if I had a regular flipper available.

I honestly think a back flipper tab or thumbstuds ruins the whole point of a front flipper. The truth is that front flippers main advantage is the sleek styling and minimalist look they give the knife. They aren’t really the most intuitive or effective way to open a blade so I feel like I would never use the front flipper if I had a regular flipper available.

I agree.
But I would like to add that a front flipper also allows you to open the blade slowly and in a controlled way.

I agree.
But I would like to add that a front flipper also allows you to open the blade slowly and in a controlled way.

Yes, although not all. For instance the Mosquito Tactical Puppy the little flipper tab gets hidden by the corner of the scales at about 70% open.

The truth is though any opening method even automatics can be opened slowly. Just catch the blade with your fingers or thumb after you pass the detent and let the blade out slowly. For example oh a flipper knife I push the tab and the blade opens about 5% of the way before the spine hits my blocking thumb. Then I just slowly thumb the knife open.

So the buskers been out for a bit now. Love the design but I tried one at blade this year and I could not get it to open. :D I don't know if it just had a really stiff detend or what but I really struggled. Has anyone had a similar experience?

So the buskers been out for a bit now. Love the design but I tried one at blade this year and I could not get it to open. :D I don't know if it just had a really stiff detend or what but I really struggled. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I noticed on some models it depends on how you deploy. It took me a while to get the basic side thumb flick and over the top lightswitch with index finger. Haven't handled an olamic yet but from the videos i've seen it looks like some grip adjustment might be needed since it's smaller or where the front flipper tab is. Just speculation though.

I noticed on some models it depends on how you deploy. It took me a while to get the basic side thumb flick and over the top lightswitch with index finger. Haven't handled an olamic yet but from the videos i've seen it looks like some grip adjustment might be needed since it's smaller or where the front flipper tab is. Just speculation though.
I think you're right. It took me a few tries to understand the sideways motion with the thumb necessary to open the Busker I handled. It seemed great as a fidget device. I was very close to ordering one, but I couldn't get past how this the blade is for such a small knife – just not what I'm seeking.

Mosquito Tactical Puppy
Made by a cloner and advertised as a Chris reeve style knife. I thought it was sorta innovative but turned off by the whole cloners aspect of it and attaching the reeves design language to it.

Made by a cloner and advertised as a Chris reeve style knife. I thought it was sorta innovative but turned off by the whole cloners aspect of it and attaching the reeves design language to it.

It’s made by Maxace. It definitely is nothing like a chris reeve knife when you see it in person. My Shamwari is far closer to a Chris Reeve in design than the Mosquito Tactical is.

Back