Front Flippers - pictures and discussion

Gunna have to try that sucker out. I really like front flippers. Though I prefer ones that don’t have thumb studs or other opening methods. Part of what makes front flippers so nice to me is the minimalist design.

In truth thumb studs or spydie hole is a better opening method in terms of ease of use so if I had that option I don’t know why I would use the front flipper.
I agree completely. In fact, the only thing I really like about them is how they allow for a minimalist design. I suppose there was once a novelty factor but that has worn off now that they are becoming more and more common.

Having said that, I was carrying my Smock SK-23 and I realized that it uses a similar minimalist flipper tab but in the traditional rear position. And it opens easier than any front flipper I've tried. Really made me re-think my position (excuse the pun) on front flippers.

Still, that Morpheus is a good-looking, minimalist knife.

I agree completely. In fact, the only thing I really like about them is how they allow for a minimalist design. I suppose there was once a novelty factor but that has worn off now that they are becoming more and more common.

Having said that, I was carrying my Smock SK-23 and I realized that it uses a similar minimalist flipper tab but in the traditional rear position. And it opens easier than any front flipper I've tried. Really made me re-think my position (excuse the pun) on front flippers.

Still, that Morpheus is a good-looking, minimalist knife.

I love the smock flipper design. I first saw it on the boker kwaikens modified by Alexander Dietz and thought it was an awesome way to get a flipper tab action without having the tab sticking out the knife.

Like this
maxresdefault.jpg

I have a Spyderco Smock on preorder.

Where will I be able to get one I have been interested in his but the price and rarity have been an issue.

Where will I be able to get one I have been interested in his but the price and rarity have been an issue.
Instagram seems to be the best way, he announces batches and then drops them on IG. He's done at least 3 since I started following him (only a couple months, I think). Just today when I went on to check my feed this Field Grade Shamwari popped up, it's new to me.

Like you price is an issue for me, however he said these are more budget friendly.

Holy Field Grade Shamwaris Batman!

OV2YCJc.jpg

Gareth says these are made to be workers, with tougher finishes and a full height grind, and most importantly, budget friendly!
I for one am hoping for around $300

I gotta get one of these. I love my 3.25 inch shamwari but it is pretty beat up. Still functions flawlessly just lots of snail trails. It is hands down one of my favourite knives despite this. I wonder why i never see him making any warlocks anymore which look very similar to the shamwari anyway.

The biggest issue with gareth bull is he is absolutely terrible about communication and it is very hard to buy a fricking knife off him. He seriously needs someone else to run his business for him. It was supposed to be his son but his son is no better than the man himself. No denying he is a very talented maker but come on gareth. Wtf is the deal. Answer your freakin’ emails. I heard he doesn’t ever answer them and only communicates through instagram so i dled that to try and get ahold of him.....no response.

Too bad I want to buy more of his knives. The 3.25 shamwari has basically been a medium front flipper sebenza to me. In other words an ideal knife.

I gotta get one of these. I love my 3.25 inch shamwari but it is pretty beat up. Still functions flawlessly just lots of snail trails. It is hands down one of my favourite knives despite this. I wonder why i never see him making any warlocks anymore which look very similar to the shamwari anyway.

The biggest issue with gareth bull is he is absolutely terrible about communication and it is very hard to buy a fricking knife off him. He seriously needs someone else to run his business for him. It was supposed to be his son but his son is no better than the man himself. No denying he is a very talented maker but come on gareth. Wtf is the deal. Answer your freakin’ emails. I heard he doesn’t ever answer them and only communicates through instagram so i dled that to try and get ahold of him.....no response.

Too bad I want to buy more of his knives. The 3.25 shamwari has basically been a medium front flipper sebenza to me. In other words an ideal knife.
Judging by his past IG drops another big issue is availability. His batches are so small and there's tons of people refreshing to catch them. Combined with his iffy communication and it makes for one difficult maker to deal with. Still, he makes a hell of a knife....

Judging by his past IG drops another big issue is availability. His batches are so small and there's tons of people refreshing to catch them. Combined with his iffy communication and it makes for one difficult maker to deal with. Still, he makes a hell of a knife....

I wish he would give his design to WE or someone. He doesn’t have to give the shamwari but he could have them produce the warlock which he doesn’t seem to make anymore.

Btw the Boker Exskelibur 1 titanium framelock version is an amazing knife for the money. It is super thin but with contoured scales strong enough that it isn’t flimsy. It has a super amazing blade geometry and reminds me of my shamwari in many ways. Only issue is the soft screws so you shouldn’t take the knife apart. Only move the clip to tip up if you like.

wRbSyjS.jpg

Look how thin it is. Next to a large 21
pCH23T6.jpg

Mine has great lockup and often kicks way more expensive knives out of my pocket. It is one of the best edc knives I have ever owned.

Last edited:
I loathe "social" media so no twitter or ig account for me. I get why business use these tools I just hate what they have done to society. I won't rant on that not the time or place.
I felt the same way about social media but I did recently sign up for an Instagram account because it gives you direct access to lots of great makers (many of which are also on BF). I just follow people and don't make any posts directly to Instagram. If I want to reach out to a maker I just direct message them so no one else can see it and it seems to work fine for me. After reading the posts on this thread I did start to follow Garreth Bull and he has lots of great information on Instagram about when and what knives will be available.

I felt the same way about social media but I did recently sign up for an Instagram account because it gives you direct access to lots of great makers (many of which are also on BF). I just follow people and don't make any posts directly to Instagram. If I want to reach out to a maker I just direct message them so no one else can see it and it seems to work fine for me. After reading the posts on this thread I did start to follow Garreth Bull and he has lots of great information on Instagram about when and what knives will be available.
Yup, you can say what you want about social media, but you don't have to be that person who lives on their phone. IG really is a great place to see new knives and makers.

Gareth Bull has been promoting (on his IG) an upcoming front flipper from a knifemaker I've never heard of: Joel Scott-Turner. Called the "Morpheus." Made by WE.

Gareth_Bull_IG.jpg

The crowdfunding campaign for this has gone live. 7.96" OAL. 2.8" blade edge length (3.35" tip to frame). Made by WE for about a WE price.

Stylish. I wish it wasn't a frame lock.

Do you know how people know when they should start refreshing in hopes of getting a knife? I really want one but it seems completely random as to when he releases them. If I knew a time frame of when they’d release I’d refresh all damn day lol. Does he say somewhere when they might release?

Do you know how people know when they should start refreshing in hopes of getting a knife? I really want one but it seems completely random as to when he releases them. If I knew a time frame of when they’d release I’d refresh all damn day lol. Does he say somewhere when they might release?
He usually doesn't give notice until a day before, and usually doesn't say what time. Yes it seems constantly refreshing is the best bet, unfortunately.

He usually doesn't give notice until a day before, and usually doesn't say what time. Yes it seems constantly refreshing is the best bet, unfortunately.
I always wonder who these people are who can afford to sit around all day refreshing their web browser. :)

I decided to pass on this new Shamwari and that Morpheus I have been admiring above. My knife budget is limited and I will need that cash for another knife I've decided on. :(

Back