Front vs Rear Pocket Carry

I carry knives in my front pockets, watchpocket, rear pockets, shirt pockets, coat pockets, vest pockets,etc. But then...I'm knuts.
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

I used to carry my Spyderco Rescue in my rear pocket until it was proven to me how tactically unsound it was.

One of my co-workers had been a soldier in the Nicauraguan Army before he came to America. He's tough, fast and can be real mean. I was standing at a counter reading something on the bulletin board at work one day when he came up behind me, pinned me against the counter and swiped the knife from my pocket just for fun.

He was laughing when he handed it back, but he was also serious when he said that carrying like that on the street could get you killed with your own knife. I quit carrying blades there.

------------------
All you need is love... a sharp blade and a full clip

I carry knives in all my pockets. It keeps me from having to worry which pocket is best.
smile.gif
4 pockets = 5 cutting tools.

Blades

I believe the rear pants pocket is known in the pickpocket world as "the sucker's pocket."
Also, if you've ever had lower back problems--and if you haven't yet, you will--one of the first things you're told is to keep wallets and other stuff out of your rear pockets when sitting.
I find the Spyderco Navigator fits in the traditional jeans' watch pocket perfectly, like it was made for it. But I recently got some jeans from Lands End that they proudly announced had been "redesigned"; the only difference I could see was that they'd shrunk down the watch pocket to where it's completely vestigial.

At work, I use ISWB for the sake of all sheeple. But, I'm finding this less comfortable all the time because I'm developing a little curvature of the gut.

At home, it's strong side, front pocket. But getting keys and such out is a real pain.

Cheers.

Strong side front pocket always, behind the right kidney as well for the larger folders (4" is large for me), strong side back pocket if I think I might need a backup or a different blade type, but I wear a jacket or an open button down shirt over my clothes to hide it. I've never used the "watch" pocket to clip a knife. I use it for change and my manager SAK. I'll try my Dragonfly when I go home tonight. Shirt pockets are good, even for 3" blades; they button so you don't lose the knife and stay out of the way.

On the watch/Zippo pocket topic, I've noticed that the size has shrunk too. I wear baggy jeans usually (don't like the feel of tight jeans). The one's I buy changed from a pager-sized pocket (that I used to use for a pager) to one that I can only fit three of my small-sized fingers into. Lame, but I don't carry a pager anymore, so the lack of space is not too bad for me.

gm

Alright! I made the 2nd page!

[This message has been edited by gadgetman (edited 11-30-2000).]

It's iteresting seeing all the different reasons for and against different carry positions for various blades. Guess I'm in a minority with JackG in that my 'evolved' carry position is iwb, right of center just outboard of first belt loop. Canted at about a 45' angle in the clip is behind the belt and through the belt loop. Quite secure..quite accessible...not in the way, and of course most unobtrusive to potential BG's. Clip doesn't 'bite furniture, car seats, doors, or do anything it shouldn't be doing (I've learned
frown.gif
)...just keeps the blade in place. Been carrying this way for more than several years now...everyday...I'm naked without it.
btw...the watch pocket in the jeans is a perfect place for that sheeple blade..for me a little 2 blade stag Case, fits snug in the bottom of the watch pocket...ready to come out for any task. Otherwise I hate knives IN my pockets.

------------------
Only perfect practice makes perfect

I've tried back pocket carry, but it's pointless. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it's hard to reach, meaning that it has no tactical use. Even if you don't have tacticality in mind, that BG over there might...

Bush for President! Bush for President!

As always, the Bush obsessionest,

~Whirlwind~

------------------
bc2000logo.gif

Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I've had my Endura slip out of both front and rear pockets, when clipped to both.

I now carry the Endura clipped inside my jeans waistband, just forward of the pocket. It rides here quite nicely, assuming a tilt conforming to the angle formed by my right leg joining my fat belly.

Not only have I never the knife in this position, the clip is nearly concealed by my belt - reducing panic in the streets by sheeple!

It seems like no matter where I clip a knife it will often fall out when I'm putting my pants on. I find inside my waistband most convenient with a clip.

As a teen I used to carry a 4" bladed Italian pushbutton in my back pocket beside my wallet. This did not leave a pocket bulge and might even pass a quick pat down. If someone demanded my wallet I could come out with a blade in seconds.

Now that I am a more sober citizen I keep a large SAK with locking blade in the same spot. The accessibility is surprisingly good. I can quickly get it out while sitting in a car seat. I'm so used to having it there it comes out quickly and effortlessly. I wouldn't even think of using a clip in my back pocket. It would snag on things and would be likely to damage car seats.

Front pocket.
Don't have a problem with a holster getting in the way b/c I use an IWB Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 behind my centerline...

Considered back pocket carry - mostly for tactical reasons like if someone is attempting to mug you, you can draw your knife when they think you're getting your wallet (same reason I carry a firearm behind the centerline - you can draw in the same manner, making a mugger think you're going for your wallet, if you stand a bit sideways). But then I decided against rear pocket knife carry b/c it seems too succeptible to a possible pick-pocket - especially in crowded areas. In my right front pocket it is well guarded even in crowded areas as I can keep my hand over it if necessary.

-ZZ

Back