Frustrated with 2-brick forge

Here's another question along the DIY mini forges. I'm having difficulty sourcing insulating bricks locally but can get the premixed stove and furnace cement. Would that do the trick in a coffee can style forge? Or would I be better off with a sand/plaster mix and line it with the furnace cement? Those burners look cool Atlas.

The tip of your torch shouldn't be so far in. The brass will melt if it's in the chamber and the forge is working right.
Second, not sure that you'll get enough BTU from that torch, even with MAPP.
Third, 6.5cm(I use 67mm) is ideal for the chamber to insulation size on a 4.5" square brick. (I love mixing standard and metric!!!)
Fourth, the torch angle looks much better in the last video. Wholly inadequate in the pictures and first video.
Fifth, resistance to heat isn't the same as insulation. Seeing that you easily carved the bricks, I'm going to figure that they are insulating. Another way to be sure is if they are heavy or light. Heavy bricks don't insulate, light ones do.

wow! thank you so much for your answer atlas knife company! really appreciated

Indeed this bricks are insulating bricks! they are very light and extremely easy to machine. Do you think there could be anything wrong with the bricks I'm using?

How should I angle the torch? on the first brick I tried to make the hole for the torch at the top of the circle angled it back to make the swrill. Should I just make a hole on direction of the center of the circle and angle the torch up and back like Gough does on his video?

Any tips about improving my torch? Any other gas I could try?

thanks again!

Back