1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Fully Serrated Knives...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by BenLong1018, Jun 1, 2016.

1. augostos

augostos

Sep 15, 2011
    How do you sharpen with Sharpmaker? Similar to a regular blade? Thank you!

2. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    It is a discontinued Spyderhawk in H1. I love mine, was very hard to find.
    Best serrated knife I own. Now they are very very rare and cost a pretty penny. Can be found on Plain Edge or Serrated Edge and can be seen from time to time on the big Auction site. They cost an eye, though, especially the Plain Edged ones.
    I have two of them, BTW, a user and a safe queen. Excellent for gardening chores, as suggested, they are like a Tasman on steroids!

3. fausto nasafiaschi

fausto nasafiaschi

Aug 6, 2000
    you can't beat them when it comes to cutting quickly through fibrous material. at work (shipyard) I carry a byrd cara cara rescue just for the purpose of cuttig through mooring ropes and various size rope stoppers.

4. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    cold steel talwar xl serrated.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Yup. Very awesome knife. Rare and expensive now. I bought a pristine one off the exchange. Also a well used one off the bay. Bigger like the Endura or Pacific salt while the Tasman is the size of the delica. Great knife. Wish they would bring it back.

6. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011

Nice knife and I like that pic on your phone/tablet... ;):thumbup::D:cool:

I wish the serrations were available on the non-presentation side LOL; that'd be sweet! As for the bevel; do you mean the actual serrations? Because all of my serrated knives are saber ground and only the serrated teeth are cut on the presentation side.

Gotta wonder how the cutting efficiency would change if the teeth were double cut on both sides as well... :confused::)

As for sharpness, I try to maintain my serrated knives so that they are able to treetop hair in the larger scalloped sections and keep the point of the teeth as pointy as possible FWIW. ;) Key word there is try LOL. ;):rolleyes::foot::D

In terms of use; serrated blades have excelled (for me at least!) in cutting rope, zip ties, twine, tape, vines, and any sort of plastic packaging. Even cardboard seems to yield pretty easily to knives like the ZDP Endura 4. The uses you mentioned were pretty specific and have knives/tools designed for each of them.

I would not feel at a disadvantage if I could only carry a serrated folder for edc. :thumbup:

7. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    Use the angled edge of triangle stones on the beveled side like you would any normal edge, and then do a swipe or two on the non-beveled side to de-burr. Sal also demonstrates how in the Sharpmaker tutorial video.

8. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Learn to sharpen serrations.

I say Spyderco serrations are awesome and I can get them as sharp or better than factory when I resharpen them.

As to the OP....Pacific Salt. See below. :)

[​IMG]

9. Todd21969

Todd21969

Apr 23, 2013
    Spyderco C07S is always a good choice,IMHO.

[​IMG]

10. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Part of the issue may be that Cold Steel serrations suck.
    I know that others will disagree with me, but I don't like how they cut, and the little teeth aren't very robust.

Spyderco has the best serration pattern that I have run across so far.
    Give them a try. :)

11. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    To Wowbagger:
    I hate Cold Steel's serration pattern.
    The little teeth get busted off, and the overall performance is not good.

Try some serrated Spyderco knives. :)
    They have the best serration pattern I have used thus far.

Do not base your impression of what a serrated blade can do from your experience with Cold Steel's serrated offerings.
    For Cold Steel knives I'd go plain edge every single time.

12. DaNuke95

DaNuke95

Jul 28, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of any of the salt series knives from Spyderco in a serrated configuration (plain edge, not so much). H1 steel is incredibly tough and serrations hold an edge super long due to the work-hardening process used to shape snd grind the blades.

13. palonej

palonej Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Very true Danuke! I have both PE and SE Salts........SE ALL the way!! The plain edge dulls when breathed on.......SE is a vicious cutter! Just picked up an awesome Autonomy and it's also a buzz saw!!
    Microtech's serrations are fantastic also!! They come screaming sharp!!
    Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011
    Funny you mention that because that is what I experienced (at least it seems that way) with my PE Tasman & Schempp Rock Salt (oldschool)...

Maybe I need to add serrations to them. :D;):thumbup::cool:

15. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    You won't be sorry CM!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Czechmate

Czechmate

Feb 24, 2011

Somebody take my dremel away before I go cray cray on these two knives LOL. :D;) I might just try it on the folder to be safe. :thumbup::cool:

17. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    Love it!!!
    Now get busy!!
    Joe

18. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    About 50% of my collection is/has been serrated edge. Some thoughts about everything said or mentioned in the thread (and a dozen pics of my serrateds, just because):

[​IMG]

a- For me, EDCing a serrated folder has not proven an inconvenience in any situation I've faced these last two years (Pacific Salt or other Salt), in fact it's proven quite necessary on occasion. They excell with rope, bags, staying sharp after digging and scraping, fibers, wires, cutting through tense or really aggressive media, purely tearing and ripping stuff.

[​IMG]

b- Fibrous materials like agave leaves, some vegetal fibers and stuff I work with can only be cut with serrated edges in an acceptable manner. No plain edge would cut some of the fibers I face on a daily basis withous much, much effort. Gardening is tough on edges, serrated wins every time (i.e. when you stab into dirt and sand only the peaks get dull)

[​IMG]

c- Best serrated pattern is, as most have said, Spyderco's. Cold Steel's are too weak for everything other than meat, flesh, fish, soft veggies and so. They are more aggressive than others but can't stand abuse and are a pain to sharpen (like VEFFs)

[​IMG]

d- Salt series are awesome, and SE is the only way to go with them to profit from H1 properties. It's a really great steel for SE.

[​IMG]

e- Spyderhawk is an incredible knife that should come back in many sprint versions, it's a real winner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. palonej

Aug 5, 2015
    Excellent pics of some hard working blades Peacent!!! AND some hard working hands!! They look as beat up as mine!!
    Joe

20. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Yes the first is true and the second is a good suggestion.
    Hey . . . thanks . . . a good reason to buy another knife. Now where's that catalog . . .