Fun Friday Sale! CPK Classic, the 3" EDC, ground finish, Iron Wood

As much as I'd like to buy this beauty - I don't have the scratch for it right now (unless you want to trade some other EDCs :D). It has been forever since I've participated in a Fun Friday Sale, so I figured I'd jump in here just to say Hi!
wave.gif

That hand-ground finish looks so damn classy combined with that polished Desert Ironwood and polished fasteners. I love how you managed to keep the small "scallop"(?) texturing on the scales, too!

This is a true "Gentleman's CPK?EDC"

No lanyard hole for these "Classics"?

Hey Benson, I'm glad to see you around, it's been a while

We ran into issues splintering the wood while machining it. Losing the hidden lanyard hole (which exactly three people use) was consistent with "CPK classic" because I never used to use them. I ditched it to prevent cracking between the slot and the outer surface due to removing the supporting micarta liner in that spot (at the rear which is a vulnerable area). A conservative approach for a PITA project with a lot of hours in it...

Losing the hidden lanyard hole (which exactly three people use)..
I’m one of those three people because I always imagine a scenario where I drop the prized knife in some hard-to-reach spot or crevice where I can only retrieve it by hooking it with a stick or something - and then kicking myself because I didn’t use the provided lanyard hole...

But if there’s none to begin with, then I probably won’t miss it.

The wood was aged when I got it. I cut it up and let it age some more. We monitored the weight and once it stopped losing weight and actually started to gain a little we laminated it. We setup a machining center with a blower for dust collection for the final machining to keep the wood clean and dry rather than run it wet. We waited until the heat of summer was over to do this so we could get some doors open and get a nice breeze through the shop to keep dust down. These scales went across four machines with sumps (bandsaw, The Pig, Romi, Kia) before they were ready for some hand finishing. Lots of clean up to do after this project which reminds me of why we don't do it more often.

:) That's a flash from the past! Luv u 2 bro! I was thinking of almost, almost, preordering another unmentionable one this weekend. But luckily this thread saved me.

Some folks will never learn! :D :p

It appears that they allow auctions on Instagram? Mike

That is one very fine looking knife!

Hey Benson, I'm glad to see you around, it's been a while

We ran into issues splintering the wood while machining it. Losing the hidden lanyard hole (which exactly three people use) was consistent with "CPK classic" because I never used to use them. I ditched it to prevent cracking between the slot and the outer surface due to removing the supporting micarta liner in that spot (at the rear which is a vulnerable area). A conservative approach for a PITA project with a lot of hours in it...

Thanks for the explanation - seems like an easy decision to omit it. I do have a small lanyard on the EDCs that I carry, but I think (aesthetically) it looks better without it on this example. More sleek and cohesive with all the other elements. It is just straight-up classy and timeless.

What a beautiful PITA it turned out to be - I'll definitely keep my eyes and ears open for the additional "Classics" wherever they may show up. :D

Cheers to the weekend and congrats to N ni1s for scoring this one! :thumbsup:

Dang Mike! I've been avoiding any form of Social Media like a plague when I shut down my one and only, FB account back in '08, which was primarily set up to spy on my then teen kids ;) Don't make me take the plunge into that again!

I know what you mean. I hadn’t looked at the Bay for so long that they cancelled my account. IG just seems like a clean, straight forward way to go. I’m pretty clueless about most of the social media stuff as it goes. Mike

I know what you mean. I hadn’t looked at the Bay for so long that they cancelled my account. IG just seems like a clean, straight forward way to go. I’m pretty clueless about most of the social media stuff as it goes. Mike

eBay has also been circling the drain lately. Terrible Co, antiquated structure, many failed M&A (apart from their cash cow PayPal which they sold off), an Amazon wannabe which squeezes the heck outta its mom / pop sellers who were the foundation of that once e-Commerce darling. Ever wondered as to why no one ever bought them out?! I've been catching up lately with some newer comers who have been trying to supplant that 800 lb gorilla. I know as matter of fact that IG has been taking quite a bit of business and sellers away from eBay!

Back