Fun in the sun with Randall

Spent the day looking for sheds, didn't really get to do much with the Randall other than cut up an apple and some salami... Although when I am 40 miles from the nearest paved road in the middle of one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 that is crawling with mountain lions which see so few humans that they are bold enough to respond to your predator calls, carrying the 1-7 sure helps for peace of mind.

JifGCC4.jpg

Beautiful images but was killing that magnificent beast really necessary? To each their own, I guess? beautiful Modal 1, congratulations.

Beautiful images but was killing that magnificent beast really necessary? To each their own, I guess? beautiful Modal 1, congratulations.

In all honesty I felt it was completely necessary. Usually I try to avoid rattlesnakes as much as possible. When I am 50 miles from pavement, cell service, or a hospital the last thing I want to do is risk a rattlesnake bite by unnecessarily harassing a rattler. I this situation my friend and I were looking for some shade to get out of the sun and eat lunch. Being in the desert with the sun almost straight above there was not much shade so when we saw a nice cliff and overhang we headed that way. My buddy was 20 or 30 feet ahead of me and had sat down with his back against the cliff. As I approached and begun to take my pack off I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye. The movement was this rattlesnake less than 6ft from my friend and closing. The snake was right up against the cliff and following the cliff towards my friend. I immediately reacted and whacked him on the head with my hiking stick. The snake was really stunned and injured after the whack so I felt the best thing to do at that point was to skin and gut the snake so I could take it home and eat him. I also plan on trying my hand at tanning the skin. Also, I really respect that you are willing to stand up for him.
pCf23Wo.jpg

Looks like some familiar type of country to our Eastern Montana/Northern Wyoming country but much further south. The Rocky Mountain West rocks. When given a choice we kill rattlers that don't rattle and try not to kill them that do. Well.... some of us. I don't kill any of them. But I dang sure love my Randalls; that's the main thing, eh? I am currently contemplating working up a hiking staff out of a really nice piece of hard maple from the Lake Superior North Shore, to go along with my knives, guns, etc. Hope all are well and stay that way.

Looks like some familiar type of country to our Eastern Montana/Northern Wyoming country but much further south. The Rocky Mountain West rocks. When given a choice we kill rattlers that don't rattle and try not to kill them that do. Well.... some of us. I don't kill any of them. But I dang sure love my Randalls; that's the main thing, eh? I am currently contemplating working up a hiking staff out of a really nice piece of hard maple from the Lake Superior North Shore, to go along with my knives, guns, etc. Hope all are well and stay that way.
That sounds like a fun project. I expect to see some photos of said hiking stick along with some knives in the next few months...

I actually just finished tanning the snake skin and I left it off with my local leather guy to make me something special. I will update with a photo when he is finished.

view

I carried my model 1 this weekend and used it for some yard work. I cut down an oak sapling years ago and it sent out 5 new shoots.

I used the model 1 to hack off all the small branches then braid them together. Now they’ll grow and fuse together hopefully in an interesting way.

The other shots are of a tree I started twisting and braiding about 20 years ago.

Each fall I pick out any dead branches then in the spring I prune the new shoots and weave them in.

The O rings are extras from work that happen to fit knife and tool handles. So I use them for extra grip. They work especially well with the commando handle shape. Sometimes i spread them out sometimes I bunch them up.

Last edited:
OK, I'm intrigued, how'd you do that? Nice work, btw. :thumbsup:

I tanned the snake skin using the 50/50 mix of vegetable glycerin and rubbing alcohol method. Than I took the knife, snake skin, and the original sheath to a local leather guy who does really amazing work and let him do the rest. I believe he unstitched the entire sheath, and proceeded to use a new piece of leather to replace the original front piece. After that he cut out the middle of the original front piece of leather retaining the Randall snap and used it as a border to hold the snake skin down. Then he glued and sewed it back up, he was good enough to hit all of the original holes.

The guys company is called lazy3leather.... https://lazy3leatherco.com/ He does awesome work and can make all kinds of custom stuff other than sheaths.

Fantastic workmanship. Thanks for sharing it, and what a story behind truly making it your own!

Back