G-shock Why?

Similar to reviews. When I see a person that does not like a specific item, I want to know what they prefer. What do you prefer and why?

I've been wearing my Casio Pathfinder for years now. It's impossible to destroy.

I saw in another thread you did address what you like:

I guess it just is not my style, the watches I have are Nixon, bullova, guess, express.mostly more dressy watches. I am getting an Oakley gearbox soon.

Just different tastes. I've received some pricey watched and hated them. I like an easy to read watch and if it is durable, atomic, and solar powered...then all the better. I do still have a Nixon watch. I got it as part of some loot in a contest, it was called the Superhero and had a flip-up watch face with a digital beneath it. Interesting, but I didn't really like it.

When I was a PI, I went in for an interview and the guy told me if I wasn't wearing a Rolex, Omega or something similar then he wasn't going to take me seriously for the position. I laughed, but a lot of people and jobs do judge people by their watch, clothes and shoes.

Some people wear watches strictly for fashion. Others wear them strictly for general utility -like time and number related functions.

I have learned that I cannot wear fashionable watches, because I don't pay attention to bumping into things. I only need one hour and a nice looking watch will be covered in scratches (especially the glass face if it isn't sunken deep into the watch).

I like G-Shocks, to me they look cool. Sure a rolex is nice, but to me it doesn't look as nice as some other watches a fraction of the price. Personally, I never understood when some folks that were not well off find ways to spend money on the craziest things. I knew a guy growing up, he lived in the worst hole in the wall trailer park you could imagine, but he had a Lincoln Blackwood truck with $4500 wheels and a $1200 set of tires. He also used to wear $2000 Italian leather shoes, and had a $20K Rolex something or other. He are mac n cheese with bologna sammiches every day. I'm not sure why people do that, but to me that is a lot crazier than buying a $100 G-Shock that will last for years. Talk about misplaced priorities. I'd rather have a nice home, reliable vehicle, than live in a ghetto and drive a car worth more than a city block worth of roach infested trailers. YMMV.

I like mine because it's a throwback to the eighties LCD watches that I liked so much. I've also come to realize I value accurate timekeeping compared to the simple reliability of mechanical analog watches. With a tough solar g-shock, you get both. Plus, as those pics of NASA astronauts show, it's nerdy-cool.

I picked up a Rangeman last Christmas, my first watch in 5-6 years and really like it so far, especially the solar and atomic, the barometric graph is quite accurate for incoming storms here as well. I see them as a Glock (G-Shock) vs Custom 1911 (Rolex or any traditional nice watch) Some people higher end, precision made metal parts, some like durability/reliability lower price.

But why on earth to people buy g-shock watches?
Because they like them and choose to wear them. No better reason.

Or perhaps the only watches which should be manufactured and sold are those that meet your aesthetic standards.

I guess it just is not my style, the watches I have are Nixon, bullova, guess, express.mostly more dressy watches. I am getting an Oakley gearbox soon.

And guess what? Those brands hold absolutely no appeal to me, excepting Bulova and then only the products of the old Bulova company. The current Bulova share nothing with great company of old excepting the Bulova name they bought.

I like an easy to read watch...
There comes a timer in most men's life when a digital watch won't meet that requirement.

Ball%2520Trainmaster.jpg

I used to consider Casio watches cheap, then they became inexpensive. Anytime I have to spend over $100 for a watch, that is not what I consider cheap at all. As far as looks go, they work for me. I also very much like the fact that I don't have to worry about getting them wet fishing like I do more expensive traditional watches. The G-shocks won that battle of the watches for me. The others sit unused for the most part.

Durable, waterproof, solar-powered, satellite calibration, and I like the way they look.
I have a two tone white and black for casual , and a stainless face for when I'm really going to get it dirty.
I also have "bling" watches, but for times where you need something that take a beating and still look good, g-shock.

Occupation, Income, Status, Function, Age and just plain looks are just a few of the reasons people buy anything. I am more of a classic style type man. I like function followed with a touch of style, the look I go for with my knives. I have & enjoy watches by Raymond Weil & Invicta.

Rolex really got big with a working mans watch that was given by the Swiss company to POWs in nazi camps during WWII
The gave them with a letter that said to some effect, we know things aren't going so well right now but after this war ends you can send us payments or just send us back the watch when you get home. Because of this warm gesture and shrewd marketing plan, along with people having honor back then. Rolex gained a very loyal following in all of the allied countries.

I current wear my Invicta Diver Auto for non work times and have a cheap watch with printed on paper chrono dials for wearing at the grinder. Getting sand blasted for 4-6 hours a day will destroy any watch. I may dust off my Raymond Weil for evening wear this summer.

My daily wear is a Swiss Army Auto, but if I am going to be in certain situations it's the Tough Solar G-Shock. Like PN said, solar/atomic, built like a tank, etc.. Throw a NATO strap on it and it is about as tough as a watch can be.

I knew a guy growing up, he lived in the worst hole in the wall trailer park you could imagine, but he had a Lincoln Blackwood truck with $4500 wheels and a $1200 set of tires.

I live in the blue collar interior West (logging, mining). This setup is unbelievably common: married couple, $40,000 pickup and $30,000 SUV parked outside a 1974 14X64 worth $8,000. I've seen it my whole life, and I'll never, ever get it.
Back on topic, I'm saving for my next G-shock, the aviator w/ the orange band. YUMMMMM.

Once again I did not mean to offend anyone. Personally I do not like the ones I have seen. Just not my style I guess.

jebytypu.jpg

The two g-shock and the Invicta are the ones in rotation.

Tell me that white and black is ugly...... ;)

Last edited:
Most of the reasons everybody else has said: Tough, easy to read, all of the features I need.

Also the one I'm wearing at the moment, a GD-350, has a vibration alarm, and as a theatre technician who is slowly going deaf, that is really handy.

I actually think this particular model is butt-ugly.

They're alright. I've had to send two back for repairs. Had to send back a Suunto too.

Never had a problem with any of my fancy shmancy automatics. :p

Back