G-shock Why?

I have two G-Shock watches now. I beat the hell out of one of mine for years and never had an issue. It solar powered, sets the time/date automatically, and is very lightweight. I not a huge fan of digital but I love the analog/digital combination. I'm always knocking them into things and they still look pristine. On paper, you can't ask for a better watch. My dream watch is a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, however. It's a bit out the budget for a college student, so for the time being, G-Shock it is!

This thread is just another great example of how taste differs. And to the thread starter, you proved this in more ways than one.

To me, this watch is ugly as sin. But you like it right? That's all that matters.

oakley-gearbox-unobtainium-strap-edition-brushed-white-dial-black-rubber-strap.jpg

I think all watch wearers should have a G in their collection for those times when they need a tough, durable time piece that they won't be scared to get beat up a little. I've got a GW 2500 with black steel bracelet but man slg I'm digging the one you posted! That's gotta be the nicest G I've ever seen. Looks like a GW1000 or similar from the Aviation series. What model is that? That right there might just be the next watch I buy!

EDIT: Don't worry, I found it - Casio G-Shock MTGS1000D-1A Metal-Twist Watch. http://www.gshock.com/watches/MT-G/MTGS1000D-1A

Some of the girly plastic ones might be a little weird looking but GShocks are the best in my opinion for the money.. Rugged and last forever I own a lot of watches and a few gshocks and I love them...

6xOFNXn.jpg

Last edited:
I wear a G-Shock because its the only watch I haven't been able to break. Yes its big, yes its bulky, and yes its tough as freaking nails.

I think people wear them like dress watches for the same reason cadillac makes (made?) a pickup truck. In America, tough is cool. When crossed with expense, some people confuse it for luxury. I don't get it - but hey - different strokes for different folks.

Tough and relatively cheap don't often go hand-in-hand, but in my experience that is true with the G-Shock. I sure do like mine. It's been a great watch.

I don't want to repeat what people have said, but would you be willing to drop your swiss timepiece on floor if I asked you? You could do that just for fun with g-shock. I do want fancier watch in future, but in meanwhile I trust my g-shocks. :p My friend said my shock looks like transformers watch. :D

I don't want to repeat what people have said, but would you be willing to drop your swiss timepiece on floor if I asked you? You could do that just for fun with g-shock. I do want fancier watch in future, but in meanwhile I trust my g-shocks. :p My friend said my shock looks like transformers watch. :D
I have, but I'd not do it because you asked, nor would I do it to a GShock because you asked. A man doesn't deliberately abuse his tools (especially to prove something).

I think people wear them like dress watches for the same reason cadillac makes (made?) a pickup truck. ...
Men wear them as dress watches because they don't know any better.

Truth be told most people will not even notice the watch you are wearing; however, I will notice a man wearing a GShock, a huge dive watch, or something similar when he's dressed in suit. It's just out of place.

Ugly is purely subjective.

I own one to wear when I'm doing anything dirty, sweaty, or where I might bang a watch up. I wear a dress watch to work or when I'm otherwise dressed nice.

Also, my wrists are exactly at average door knob height, I smack watches on door knobs constantly. Does nothing to a g-shock.

Personally, I think its far sillier to wear an overly fancy watch the price of a decent sedan on one's wrist as a daily piece, than to wear a cheap plastic watch.

Personally, I think its far sillier to wear an overly fancy watch the price of a decent sedan on one's wrist as a daily piece, than to wear a cheap plastic watch.
Also using that rationale, there is no reason to drive anything other than a Toyota Corolla or carry anything other a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

Funny.... I own both a Corolla and SAKs, and I don't own a really expensive dressy watch like a Rolex. Some people have me figured out.

Also using that rationale, there is no reason to drive anything other than a Toyota Corolla or carry anything other a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

Interdasting.

That's definitely the point I was making.

Interdasting.

That's definitely the point I was making.
So you only carry a SAK?

So you only carry a SAK?

Nope. And what excellent insight do you have for me now?

What does this have to do with me thinking its silly to wear a 20k watch at all times over wearing a cheap and easily replaceable watch? Nothing.

Nope. And what excellent insight do you have for me now?

What does this have to do with me thinking its silly to wear a 20k watch at all times over wearing a cheap and easily replaceable watch? Nothing.
Just pointing out that many, for the very same reason you use, might think it silly to carry any knife costing more than $25 SAK, a cheap easily replaceable knife.

People have different tastes, different desires, and different interests. I own a dozens of knives and a dozens of watches, but I won't own a $10K watch or a $300 knife. Doesn't mean those who do are exercising silly behavior. Just means their tastes, interests, and desires are just different than mine. Nothing silly about it.

Just pointing out that many, for the very same reason you use, might think it silly to carry any knife costing more than $25 SAK, a cheap easily replaceable knife.

People have different tastes, different desires, and different interests. I own a dozens of knives and a dozens of watches, but I won't own a $10K watch or a $300 knife. Doesn't mean those who do are exercising silly behavior. Just means their tastes, interests, and desires are just different than mine. Nothing silly about it.

You might have a point if I had been trying to make a fact statement about the silliness of luxury items or the people that own them, but I wasn't. Nor was I attempting to posit a cost or quality range that should be adopted by all. I like luxury items. I also like some cheap items. Different tools for different jobs.

I merely stated that I think it's silly to wear 20k watch at all times, when a cheap plastic watch is suited better for certain applications. Thus trying to illustrate why I think something like a g-shock has its place. Maybe I wasn't quite clear enough about that for you.

This thread piqued my interest in these G-Shock watches. I had no idea that they could get so expensive. I am sure these are outliers, but some examples I saw were nearly $4k.

This thread piqued my interest in these G-Shock watches. I had no idea that they could get so expensive. I am sure these are outliers, but some examples I saw were nearly $4k.

Yeah there are some higher end models out there. But really, you can get a good tough solar, atomic model for 100 to 250 bucks. A lot of different flavours available.

Back