Gayle Bradley 2 detent FIXED post 32..

uxo2

Gold Member
My favorite knife the GB2
has had
its detent fail.

The round ball that was round is now FLAT. Sorry I cannot get pics of it because I don't have a good camera.

The detent doesn't even try to keep the blade in the closed position.
A slight wiggle and it drops.

https://i.imgur.com/qGNNM9z.mp4

So off to Spyderco you go....I hope it falls under warranty.

Guess now I have to carry the Cruware PM3 full time.

I had that happen to a Southard flipper. I ground down a punch so it would fit in the detent hole, and carefully tapped it out into a piece of soft wood (a paint stir stick). Then I carefully dug it out, and pressed it back into the hole with the flat side in. Worked like and charm and no "down time". Sal, if you see this, I do wish Spyderco would use ceramic bearings in their linerlock/framelock detents.

I was looking at this as a perfect reason to replace it with ceramic. But if it is warranty, Id rather go that route.

It will be covered under warranty I imagine. It is just wear and tear after all. Damn that m4 steel though. I know those BBs are pretty hard.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you owned your GB2 and how often do you carry it? Do you open it other than when you go to use it? I would also love it if Spyderco switch to ceramic detent balls.

I guess I've been lucky, never flattened ball bearing detent. On the other hand, I rotate through enough Spydercos that they don't really have a chance to wear out.

Maybe 8 months.
It has been my primary carry.
This knife has dethroned some of BFs favorites....
PM2s.. Delicas... Manix...and so on.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you owned your GB2 and how often do you carry it? Do you open it other than when you go to use it? I would also love it if Spyderco switch to ceramic detent balls.

About 8 months.

and it was treated exactly like another Spydie I own.

Last edited:
Ceramic is harder than steel.

So instead of scoring a bearing you get the nightmare scenario of grinding the damage into the blade itself.

Having the ball fail like a fuse in a panel sure seems like a better outcome to me.

I guess I've been lucky, never flattened ball bearing detent. On the other hand, I rotate through enough Spydercos that they don't really have a chance to wear out.

I have an old (1996) Sebenza that had the steel detent ball go flat. CRK replaced it with ceramic. It will probably outlast me...

So instead of scoring a bearing you get the nightmare scenario of grinding the damage into the blade itself.

Having the ball fail like a fuse in a panel sure seems like a better outcome to me.
Unless it is a fidget toy rather than a knife that actually cuts stuff and is subsequently sharpened, you'll need a blade long before that happens. Pretty sure CRK is OK using ceramic detents. I suspect the OP and myself both had defectively soft bearings in our detent - ceramic defeats that potential.

Most of the reports that I have seen of prematurely worn detent balls in Spyderco are in Taichung models. I wonder if that is a coincidence...

Even if it ground a track in the blade how would that be bad? It wouldn't affect the function of the knife at all. I'd much prefer a ceramic ball that would never wear out. It can dig all it wants into the blade, I would never worry about it digging all the way through.

I have the exact same problem with my GB2 - the detent ball is half gone... and that annoys me a lot, because the GB2 is probably my favorite Spyderco.

I have the exact same problem with my GB2 - the detent ball is half gone... and that annoys me a lot, because the GB2 is probably my favorite Spyderco.

send it in...

don't wait till it opens in your pocket..

I will give a follow up when it return

Back