Gayle Bradley 2 detent FIXED post 32..

Z Zagorov
I guess I don't understand. Sorry. I was under the impression that you were saying that it would be hard or impossible for you to send your knife in to Spyderco for repair based on your location. I get that you are far away, but it can still be done. It might take some time, but you won't know until you try and it sure beats permanently retiring your GB2.

I wonder if the detent ball in the GB2 is exactly the same as the one used in the GB2 ? I recently got the GB2 and I'm impressed.
Pretty sure Spyderco, or any other knife manufacturer for that matter, doesn't make ball bearings. That is a sourced item, and defective ones cannot be completely ruled out. That is why I prefer ceramic - no way a bad heat treat occurs in those.

Pretty sure Spyderco, or any other knife manufacturer for that matter, doesn't make ball bearings. That is a sourced item, and defective ones cannot be completely ruled out. That is why I prefer ceramic - no way a bad heat treat occurs in those.
Having a dependable source for quality heat treated hardware is a huge deal. :thumbsup:

is this a common thing? never had a problem with detents failing......is it rare or commom, thanks y'all.

Knife came in...

And they FIXED IT..

I received this.

frvZ0fV.jpg

A new GAYLE BRADLEY 2 .....

THANK YOU SPYDERCO.....

Ceramic is harder than steel.

So instead of scoring a bearing you get the nightmare scenario of grinding the damage into the blade itself.

Having the ball fail like a fuse in a panel sure seems like a better outcome to me.

Hey Danke, that shouldn't be a problem. The surface area on the tang is vastly larger than the surface area of the detent ball so any wear should be minimal compared to the wear you see when the ball is softer than the steel. Even if it forms a visible groove it won't hurt anything. I haven't worn a detent ball down but I've had one wear from corrosion in saltwater (Spydiechef). I think ceramic balls would provide both better wear resistance and corrosion resistance.

Hey Danke, that shouldn't be a problem. The surface area on the tang is vastly larger than the surface area of the detent ball so any wear should be minimal compared to the wear you see when the ball is softer than the steel. Even if it forms a visible groove it won't hurt anything. I haven't worn a detent ball down but I've had one wear from corrosion in saltwater (Spydiechef). I think ceramic balls would provide both better wear resistance and corrosion resistance.
That is an excellent point (corrosion elimination) that I hadn't ever considered.

Back