Gayle Bradley 2 or Griptilian 20CV?

Saw both.
Can only afford 1.
Love the M4 from Spyderco.
Love the Axis lock since I'm a lefty.
Not familiar with 20cv steel.
What would you get and why?

The GB2 is a better value, but personally I'd rather have the Grip as I don't care for liner locks. 20CV is the Crucible equivalent of M390, so you're sacrificing some toughness for much better corrosion resistance, but edge retention should be in the same ball park for either.

For the money I'd go for the GB2. The M4 steel in the Gb1 has held up well for me, the Grip still has plastic grips that feel a little cheap to me.

Handled a GB2 last week and was NOT impressed (multiple GB1 owner who was super excited to see the "2"). Much slimmer liners, not as smooth, didn't have the (leverage inducing) downward cant, - just not a Gayle Bradley like the original was. IMHO this one by it's self would never have achieved the lofty status the original did.

I'm a hardcore Spyderco fan and early adopter of the GB1. The GB1 is an excellent knife but if the rumors are true about the action and liner thickness of the GB2, I'd recommend the BM. I think the price is a little high for a Grip but I did handle them recently at a gun show and I was quite impressed.

A month ago, I would have hands down said the Griptilian for its lock strength and unparalleled ergonomics.

Now, though, I'm a total Spyderco nut, and I'd be very surprised if the fit and finish on the Griptilian were comparable to that on the GB2. While Spyderco's fit and finish is not perfect (for the most part, in my experience), it's better than Benchmade's, and Taichung Spydercos tend to have some of the best F&F to be seen on production knives. I don't know if that's always the case, but I do know that my only Taichung Spydie (Sage 1) is absolutely perfect.

Well then G-10 grips change might change the way I think, but I have a pre-order for a GB2. Gifted my first two GB1's to friends and they love them. So still have to go with the GB2 over the grip but not by much.

A month ago, I would have hands down said the Griptilian for its lock strength and unparalleled ergonomics.

Now, though, I'm a total Spyderco nut, and I'd be very surprised if the fit and finish on the Griptilian were comparable to that on the GB2. While Spyderco's fit and finish is not perfect (for the most part, in my experience), it's better than Benchmade's, and Taichung Spydercos tend to have some of the best F&F to be seen on production knives. I don't know if that's always the case, but I do know that my only Taichung Spydie (Sage 1) is absolutely perfect.

Big time Taichung-Spydie fan, but the "2" simply did not give me that superlative quality feel of my Vallotton Sub Hilt, Southard, Sage I, etc, etc Taichung Spydie.

Tough choice since I love M4, I vote for the G10 20CV grip. Love the axis lock, completely ambidextrous and strong, has the new G10 handle scales with blue standoffs which give it that nice custom look in a factory package. 20CV is the equivalent to M390 and CTS-204P what is not to like about that? Also comes with a factory deep carry clip from Benchmade which basically completes the package. As for price, I think Benchmade priced it very well, if you look at the similar sized G10 Stryker II its priced similar to the G10 20CV Grip but only comes with 154CM blade steel.

Personally, I would get neither, I would rather wait it out and check out the Mantra 1 & 2 with CPM-M4 or the Sprint run PM2 CPM-M4.

I've gotta go with the new Grip on this also. I've yet to handle the GB2, but the criticisms from folks who loved the original are fairly pertinent to me. Benchmade has hit it out of the park with the new Grip; Great steel, best EDC lock in the business, well made G10, great clip, fantastic ergos. The only thing I'd wish for is to see it released in a few different handle colors...which may be a possibility given the great reception of the Gray/Blue model. Yes, the price does seem a little high, but not when taking into account current and upcoming MAP pricing. Many Spydies are going to go up in price 10-20% after JAN1.

Saw both.
Can only afford 1.
Love the M4 from Spyderco.
Love the Axis lock since I'm a lefty.
Not familiar with 20cv steel.
What would you get and why?

What do you use a knife for and what do you expect to use it for?

Your intended use can greatly affect the best knife for you.

Why is there always an "intended use" post?!?!
Anyways..

I'd go with the grip, hands down, I just got the mini grip in 20cv and the new feel is amazing.. I have many mini grips with differing scales and this set is one of the best in hand.. plus 20cv to boot!!

Let us know what ya get and how you like it.. good luck

Grip!!
Axis lock, great steel and real nice looking scales!

Why is there always an "intended use" post?!?!
Anyways..

I'd go with the grip, hands down, I just got the mini grip in 20cv and the new feel is amazing.. I have many mini grips with differing scales and this set is one of the best in hand.. plus 20cv to boot!!

Let us know what ya get and how you like it.. good luck

Because it is the first question to ask to get to the correct conclusion.

If the OP is concerned with rust I would not advise M4. If he wants a folder that is slim and carries well because it is office duty the GB2 would be advisable.

At the end you end up with both. Even if it takes years to purchase both in my experience. Just depends on witch one to get first.

Right now, I carry a GB 1. Sometimes I carry a Bone-Sidio (Bone Collector base, CPM-M4 Presidio blade). What do I use it for? Carry around the office to open envelops, cut salami for snacks, open boxes, etc. I also carry it out in the field on job sites where I have stripped wire, cut fiberglass and pvc pipe, cut rope, etc. I carry it around the house and yard where I cut the occasional sandwich, branches, twine/rope, open feed/soil/mulch/etc. bags, and a whole bunch of other tasks. I have even used it to clean small and medium game and fish- although it is a little thick for those tasks. I call my GB 1 a jack of all trades, master of some. I just keep coming back to it even though I don't like the liner lock as well being left handed (I have learned to manage, like I do with a lot of made-for-righty things...) and it just isn't perfect for everything. However it is tough, stays sharp a LONG time, slim and does almost any task I ask (see above).

I am also a spyderco lover and am in the same predicament, GB2 or the new grip, wife got me a regular large grip with the hole a few weeks ago and I really like it, then I saw the new G10 grips and now I am leaning to the grip, great steel, lock, g10. I have been carrying a PM2 and the 550, just cant stop carrying the PM2, I wonder if the new grip would kick out the PM2?

Back