Gayle Bradley One + Spyderco Ultra Fine Rod = Oh ‘ell YAH !

Let me set the stage :
Pretty much stock edge ; barely touched up with Spyderco Ultra Fine triangle rod. Just once / while hand held.
Had done a little bit of my hard rubber trimming and it preformed absolutely perfectly. Too early to tell about durability; I didn’t have enough of that work for a good test.

Decided to try ‘er out on a big old double wall cardboard shipping box :
Penetrated nice . . . great so far.
Cut a little less than two feet . . . the belly of the blade kicked the blade up out of the box some . . . no surprise here (this isn’t a hook bill or a straight edge box knife or a karamibit that would bend down into the cut).
I was fighting to get it back down and under control when we went off the road and into the weeds. Weeds being big O’ two inch long staples. BLAM ! ! !
Hit a staple solidly. Luckily it was running in the same direction of the cut (not a perpendicular collision). I knew I hit it good because I could see a large area where it was no longer copper plated but steel “color” glinting menacingly back at me as if to say “ Awe . . . little boy with the fancy new pretty-boy-knife finds out what the world is really like AAAAAAHAHAHA grrrowel slather“.

Well it all happened in a split second but that is the way I remember it anyway.

I finished cutting up the box but stayed further away from the corner folds.
Dang ! I wonder how bad it is ? Oh well this is a user if anything. Designed and built for use. Even though aesthetically stunning I am going to bang it up. I bought it for use.

The box was down flat on the ground and this would probably not have happened if I had stood it up on end perpendicular to the floor and cut down or even up. But using a box knife to cut that same exact box shape (been cutting that same exact box shape for forty years) while down flat on the floor the box knife would not have kicked out of the cut unless more dull than anything I would ever consider using.

I thought : The Edge Pro can fix it; what ever it is.

Here’s the ‘ell YAH :
Last night I took a look and it wasn’t chipped. Shades of my 3V collisions with staples. Though those were mere touches compared to this one with the M4 GB.

Just kind of flattened the edge a little bit. Not rolled. I am still experimenting with my Spyderco Ultra Fine triangle rod. I bought a second one and carry it in my “Emergency sharpening kit”.
Originally I was going to cut the triangle rod in half so it would fit into the sharpening kit better.
You can see how ungainly it is here.

Then I wondered if I would be better off putting up with that to get a better (safer / more leverage) purchase on the rod for those rare occasions when I need that. Though usually I am going to be taking very light passes on smallish blades with it.

After all it tucks nicely into the old “Man Purse” next to the Razelized Ti Lite 6. He keeps the triangle rod from being broken for the most part. Hard to see here but I’m not taking another photo. It is the white thing that is level with the top end of the Ti Lite and next to the brown leather wallet.
Hmmmmmm

I haven’t cut the rod in half yet.

Today I sat in the sun and looked over the Gayle Bradley. Still some little areas of serious glint off that banged up area of the edge from the staple.
I wondered what if anything I could do to improve that using the ultra fine rod before admitting defeat and heading for the Edge Pro.

Hot Dog ! I was able to take those corners of the sharpening triangle, Ultra Fine yet, and get all the glint off the ding (by going significantly steeper angle in that area of the edge) and got all the glint off and the edge back to sharp. Mostly I went against the edge with the rod and with a more than normal amount of firm pressure; by no means pressing hard; didn’t want to damage the rod. I am not good at judging this . . . probably a pound of force . . . which is quite high considering the small contact area of the corner of the triangle.

Sharpened nice. I had already taken the flats of the rod to the edge as I said above, first against the edge then with the edge and it was some what shave sharp but not really. That is about how it came from the factory. Bites my finger nail good and strong. Usually for a hard use edge that is good to go in my book.

Can’t hardly notice the ding when lightly drawn across my thumb nail. Moving sideways as I said it bites all along the edge now where as before in the half inch or so where it battled the staple it would slip side ways here and there .

Trims my fingernails like crazy which is one of my tests for excellent cutting edge geometry and sharp enough. Usually this only happens exceptionally well with my Dragonfly or Endura both in ZDP-189 and mirror polished / hair whittling. Many of my other knives, even when hair whittling, just take little chips off the nails and do not really cut curls pleasingly.

Funny how it won’t really shave at this point. Must not be very sharp yet. Funny how when I get too close to the skin on the tip of my finger while trimming the finger nails it EASILY takes off a layer of skin (no blood) . . . this ‘ll work ! ! !
I call that sharp.

So what I am getting at is :
I have not had to resort to overhauling the edge of the knife using my Edge Pro to get good edge geometry USUALLY ONE OF MY FIRST things I do when I get a new knife.
Good cutting performance (so far though sucks as a box knife / no surprise there)
Doesn’t chip
The Spyderco Ultra Fine triangle rod is more versatile than I could have ever imagined (at least with this blade)
I’m pleased with this combo and my start in this hobby for 2017 ! ! !

They really did break the mold when designing the GB. So glad you like it bagger. Now you need a back up. Haha:D

GB940Rookie,

Hey there you are. I thought you gave up on us.
You got my PM ?
Glad you reminded us / me about the GB
Snagged one.
Happy
Have a great new year !

GB940Rookie,

Hey there you are. I thought you gave up on us.
You got my PM ?
Glad you reminded us / me about the GB
Snagged one.
Happy
Have a great new year !

Hey bagger,
I did get your PM. Sent you one back but I guess it didn't go through. Happy New Years to you my friend!

I have to agree with your assessment here. My GB1 went to a friend here, but when I had it, a few swipes on the ultra fines always did the trick. Now I use 'em on my PM2 in S110v and always get fantastic results. Ultra thin receipt and carbon copy paper, the knife slices through with absolutely no effort.

Great Wall of text? Check.
Photos of sharpening apparatus in question? Check.
Photo of the star of this story? Nope.

The 'ells wrong with you?!? Show us the knife man!

Show us the knife man!

I been shamelessly sticking up photos all over the place in other threads. I just figured everybody was sick of my doing that already.

You shouldn't encourage me like this.

I was trying to get the lighting better and came up with this.
As I said in the other thread : Wow look at the “grain” on that blade ! ! ! Do you suppose we are looking at radio active tank busting carbides ? ! ? ! That were made visible when I happened to get the lighting just right ?

OK before you all press the ignore or start typing furiously . . . I’m kidding . . . still though . . . look at that . . .

I'd say these thick liners are well braced

Awesome! Can't wait for mine to arrive. The gb1 has been on my want list for far too long. Glad to hear it works fine with the uf rods.

Gesendet von meinem SM-A310F mit Tapatalk

Alright me hardies . . . since you are such gluttons for punishment; here are more of my awful iPod photos.

Keeping in mind this is the virgin factory edge during these early photos.

Here he is dealing with a pound of butter. Dispatched it with no trouble. I didn't even have to make the blade hot.

Trouble is I was REALLY trying to not cut into the wrapper on this stick; going to wrap up the rest.
I was push cutting straight down slowly. Cut the paper in two places.
Won't hardly shave but . . . guess it's sharp.
That's weird. Good weird. I like this kind of weird. But weird none the less.

As I said; got it for a work knife.
These cans are FULL of cookies. Mission completed.

I had it sitting around with apple sweat on it from slicing up an apple. Trying / testing the patina / non stainless thing. So far nada. Probably going to have to resort to my favorite patina maker fresh tomatoes. Gotta try every thing out. Yah . . . you do not want to lend me one of your safe queens. Somethings I like to keep pristine. For some reason that doesn't include pocket knives. It's not a knife unless it looks like it has been out there for a while. That's just me.

OK . . . that's enough my pocket feels too empty with out it in there.

VilePossum,

The gb1 has been on my want list for far too long.

That's the thing. It was never on my want list. I was sure it wasn't for me. But I wanted M4. Finally I came around, thanks to these guys and realized what I was missing. I ordered it as soon as I came to my senses (and got that little unexpected cash).

I LOVE IT when I'm wrong.

I hope you like it as much as we do.

Just wait until he gets it sharp....
Damn straight, it gets scary sharp. A laser.
The day I received mine I decided to cut up some thick corrugated cardboard boxes in the garage. The first push cut with the factory edge sliced so cleanly and quickly I literally took a step back. "Whoa! I better be careful with this one"
Solid as a rock build, beautiful lockup. An incredible cutting machine.

It's really not fair to my other knives :D
Oh 'ell yeah!
image_zpsbjvvjbmz.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hoggies for dinner. One tomato and I have some decent brown patina starting there. OK I let it sit on the blade while I ate. I guess I got real M4.

Thanks for sharing, mine will be on its way shortly (it is being tried by another forum member).
I really like the m4. When I had the mantra 2 I was really impressed. But I had the same results... it wouldn't be something I would consider shaving sharp, but boy did that edge work and work.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

I am going to have to rethink this whole M4 thing.

I decided to sharpen the blade for the first time on the Edge Pro with the after market Shapton Glass stones.

Said why not; may as well flatten and freshen the surfaces of all the Shapton stones before beginning. Not really necessary but want to show respect for the knife.
Glad I did.
By the time I gave up with the 220 it was starting to POLISH the blade rather than " ? hog off metal ?". I was well up on the edge; I wasn't abrading but a portion of the factory sharpening bevel on one side and it still didn't get reprofiled to match the other bevel that I was working a larger portion of (that bevel has a shallower angle).

Polish mind you. I rinsed it a bunch while using it to keep the pores clean. Then I thought of the whole slurry desirability thing for fresh grit creation. Clear pores, build slurry, clear pores, build slurry, clear pores, build slurry, . . . this newbby didn’t know what do. :confused:

That little tiny ding . . . you know the one from hitting the staple . . . it just laughed, bounced up and down and clapped it’s hands muttering something about “I’m going to love it here ;) :p ;)”.

What do you suppose he meant by that ? ? ? :(
I did the only rational thing . . . I gave up . . . and moved on to the next stone 550.
Aaaahhhhhh nice fresh stone. Maybe sharp enough to do something before it too quits.

Oh and the edge was nicely shave sharp off the 220, forgot to mention that . . . so I’m making progress.

Bur ? Welllllll . . . there may have been a little taste of a bur there . . . or it may just have been the 220 particles committing suicide on the edge of the M4 rather than go through any more of this embarrassment.

I went 500, 1000, 4000 all Shapton Edge Pro after market stones. These seemed to do better than the 220. They did, all, get a fair amount of black (metal swarf) on the stones so I must have been at least removing a little bit of metal from the blade. Ding still there.

Hair whittling though. Sure has a different feel to it sharpening AND cutting hair . . . if you can believe that . . . seems so to me.

PS : patina is starting to go from brown to gun metal blue. Call me lazy but I like that.

PPS : looks like I will have to have some diamond stones for the Edge Pro in my future. I still haven't pulled the trigger on those. It's a phobia of mine.

PPPS : the sharpening bevel didn't get all stupid wide toward the tip; remained the same width all the way along the edge. Not sure if that is because I held the blade down onto the Edge Pro against the flat / parallel flats of the blade rather than on the hollow ground "bevel" or because the blade was made right to start with. In any case I am happy about that.

PPPPS : at this point I would say M4 is harder to sharpen with this set up than S110V but more satisfying.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, it arrived! So happy. And I can now understand why this knife is often called underrated.
Boy is this an excellent design and execution. I was beginning to be a bit afraid that it might not suit me or be kind of rough to work, you work knife and all...
Not at all. Mine opens buttery smooth and the ergonomics are just great. Never would have thought that the stepped scales would work so well.
True, the lock bar doesn't disengage easily, but as Mr Bradley pointed out, that was an intended design choice. But that's about it.
One thing I also noticed, it carries extremely slim in the pocket. My pm2 is just a tad too large for me for edc... No clue what this one does different. Also mine is the one with the drilled out liner, so it is a comfortable weight.
5baa8bb1c2fef053d97858a545ff672e.jpg

77ef9a7de9a58b8365f84ae0d825c529.jpg

9eeebcb98ff0efda092cd6590e42ffab.jpg

I'm so glad I / we didn't steer you wrong / you like the GB.

By now (after a few weeks or month) with most knives I would have discovered stuff that I wish they had done different :
pocket clip bugging me when using the knife
blade not free or opening issues
blade steel / edge geometry less than it could be or not living up to the hype
grip teetery (scales too narrow and too tall)

well
not so the GB
so far when I pull it out of my pocket . . . it's just like Christmas morning (I can't wait to open it) :).

It's definitely one of the sharpest knives in my collection, but I can't help but not feel great with the ergos. It just doesn't seem to fit anywhere in my hand super comfortably. Build quality and steel is excellent, just not a fan of the handle ergonomics. I've been carrying it a lot lately though.

Back