1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

GB2 on the way out?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by GB940Rookie, Sep 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

1. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Haven't seen one in stock anywhere for a while now.

2. J-RAY1989

J-RAY1989 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2019
    I hope not cause I need to pick one up too, and the advocate is out of my comfortable max price range of $200.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  3. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Just got a 2nd as a back up was getting worried about the lack of availability...

GB940Rookie likes this.
  4. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Really unfortunate the GB1 is gone, and now possibly the GB2.

I remember when I got the GB1 for just north of a hundred dollars, then thinking how superb the knife was for that price.

Then the GB2 popped up and also knocked it out of the park.

High quality pocket knives for sure.

It’s a strange thing. Once I see a model discontinued I start having reservations on continuing use of mine. Knife Knuts are weird like that....:)

5. 731Chopper

731Chopper Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2017
    The GB2 is an under appreciated knife. It was my go-to knife when moving last year and never let me down. It did draw blood from me once during that time, though.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  6. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    I may get a backup if I see one around.
    Would be nice if Spyderco would give in to the suggestions of so many here and give us the GB2 with micarta or G10 scales, slightly thicker liners, slightly better access to the liner lock and a slightly stronger detent.
    All those slightlys would add up to a CQI GB3. As a user, it would blow the doors off a PM 2.

bflying and flatblackcapo like this.
  7. ronT2

ronT2

Apr 23, 2016
    That would be sad indeed, it's a great knife. I picked up a spare a while ago for $125, just couldn't pass it up.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  8. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    What is the reasoning for wanting the thicker liners? Not that I am disagreeing, just curious. I love everything about my GB1 and GB2 except the CF scales. I'll get around to making some scales one of these days.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  9. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The very obvious (IMO) need for slightly better access to the liner lock is easily taken of using that Dremel tool.
    I got mine out this week and then ran out of time...working on my 1927 Illinois Bunn Special Railroad watch...losing 5 seconds/day...bummer...another labor of love for sure...

10. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    The original GB knocked it out of the park with those thick liners. Over the top? Maybe, but they just made you feel good.:)
    I would like to see the thickness dead in between the 1 & 2. You would need to mill them more to cut weight in order to maintain the GB2’s current balance.
    Truth is, they don’t NEED to be thicker. I would just like it that way and I think others would too, especially if it didn’t add much weight.

I don’t mind the CF scales on the GB2 but the GB1 should have had G10 or micarta scales as a working knife.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    flatblackcapo likes this.
  11. Edm1

Edm1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    A GB3 with a compression lock would be perfect.:p

Seriously...

12. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    I wish I shared everyone’s love for the compression lock. It acts as a hot spot while doing any sort of extended cutting for me.
    Others have also mentioned the comp. lock. Would probably sell more.

4mer_FMF and ferider like this.
  13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I would like to see a GB1 with just a tad thinner liners but same handle/blade shape mostly to bring the balance forward towards the blade.

And instead of carbon fiber scales, micarta.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  14. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    Maybe they are focusing their attention on the bolstered version. Now that is a FINE knife!

GB940Rookie and Sergeua like this.
  15. John_0917

John_0917

Apr 15, 2014
    I’ve always felt the GB2 was a real “under achiever” for Taichung just like the Mantra was. The knife is a good overall design but it fell short in so many small details and execution (sharp lock bar, too small hole, laminated CF etc) that the end product was a really crappy one.

I had a GB2 twice (Gave it 2 tries) and to this day it still feels like a knife that was pulled off the line 3/4 the way through manufacturing.

16. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I have come to enjoy the GB2 immensely. It's thin, full sized, and sturdy but not too heavy. If possible I would vote for a GB3 with the following updates:
    - smooth G10 handle scales;
    - recessed and milled steel liners;
    - compression lock; and
    - factory standard deep carry clip.

But in case none of those are viable then at least an updated GB2 with steel liners ground flush with the carbon fiber scales.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  17. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Bolstered Bradley? What did I miss?

18. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Same here. Hotspot in web between thumb and index finger.

Love the GB1. Sometimes sequels can't beat the first installment.

GB940Rookie likes this.
  19. 731Chopper

731Chopper Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2017
    Funny how opinions can differ so much. I’ve owned probably close to 50 different Spydercos and the GB2 is one in my more permanent collection. I think it is one of the best knives they’ve made. The action on it is incredible and it comes apart and goes back together much more easily than most Spyderco knives.

GB940Rookie and mb> like this.
  20. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    This thread may be the first time I’ve ever seen an outright negative take on a GB2. The general consensus is it’s one of the best bang for the buck production folders out there.

+1 gazillion for micarta scales would be an improvement. Please Spyderco (on any/all models)!

I had both the GB1 and GB2, and in comparison at the time, the GB1 was such a tank I couldn’t justify keeping the GB2. But the 2 is so attractive I’ve almost bought it again. A couple of all-time very popular folders in these two models.

GB940Rookie likes this.