GEC 25s - Gots 'em?

I've been working on the small clip blade of my new Jack since receiving it, repeatedly washing and flushing and working the joint. I've also continued to read the archives here, looking for other potential solutions.

I'd read that different people had "learned how to open it," but nothing specific until just now when I found this, including,

"I also find that grabbing the handle as far at the end as possible gives better leverage and makes a huge difference in how much pressure needs to be applied to the "nail nick" to pull out the blade. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference just looking at the slight shift in finger hold on the handle -- but it does."

And whaddaya know, it works! Somehow, that end-of-handle grip creates just the right kind of leverage to make the enterprise doable.

Color me way psyched, especially since I love the massive SNAP of the little blade. When I can open it.

Edited to add: all the washing and flushing and oiling and working still definitely helped, but it was the alternate hold that brought the payoff.

~ P.

Last edited:
That is very interesting, P. I have never heard of that technique before.

This is kind of a no-brainer but I have found that keeping my thumbnail very short makes a big difference in opening those nailbreakers too. I like to leave just enough nail to get a bite on the nail pull but not enough nail to bend or break. It works fine for blades that are easy to open as well.

Too long:

IMG_1484.jpg

Just right:

IMG_1485.jpg

Interesting, Railsplitter.

I will say that my renewed interest in pocket knives has led to my taking better care of my nails (including, reevaluating and addressing nutritional indicators).

Pocket knives, the healthy habit. :)

~ P.

LOL, as long as the bills are paid... ;) The nice thing about pocket knives is, except for full on customs, they're cheaper than the watches I've been collecting for years. And I'm the "Affordable" watches forum moderator...

You're right, a sawcut green bone Tidioute #25 is on its way right now. :D Now waiting for the Outlaw Jack...

I have the twin to your knife! It is a regular edc at work where I have to wear dress clothes.

I am really impressed with the quality of this barlow was gonna just use it as a dress knife but i just cant stop wanting to carry it so its been in my pocket ever since i got it . Gonna wash it out tonight and see if maybe that doesnt help to loosen it up a bit .

The "half open" trick did wonders for the cap lifter blade on my 2011 BF knife. And it still has that firecracker snap!

Hey P, just make sure you're ready to carry that baby come July.

As yes-- Barlow Month.

I'm still figuring out what to call this. GEC simply calls it a "Jack" with no further descriptive, so I guess that's its name?
250209appalF.gif

But that seems too vague. They call their 66-framed jack knives "Serpentine Jacks," which is more helpful.

The size and scale/side shape are the same as their (and the commonly-held idea of a) Barlow, but I wouldn't call it that due to its lack of a large top bolster. Also, aren't Barlows typically bareheaded, or is that not necessary?

So, is this GEC's 3" Jack? Small Jack? All-But-The-Bolster Barlow?

Rather than fret over small differences and fudged lines, I think I'll just go with this for July:

IMG_2278.jpg

wink1.gif

~ P.

Whoops, overlooked this one:

You're right, a sawcut green bone Tidioute #25 is on its way right now. :D

I was actually talking about a certain Ebony number, but can't wait to see your pictures of the sawcut green. Ahem.

~ P.

I sure am fond of mine.

All steel model, with stamped bolsters. Burnt stag. Long pull clip. The main blade is actually stamped, not etched with the logo.

Forgive the cell phone pictures. It looks even better now. The high points on the burnt stag portions are polished shiny from pocket wear, and it looks even richer now, I feel.

IMG_4319.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

Hmmm, now what could that one be? Threaded bolsters, a Tidioute perhaps??? :thumbup:

Its great that you found how to open it Pert!! Maybe I need to get a 2 blade #25 to learn myself?:D

Got this one a while back, I like it quite a bit. It's had a little pocket love so far. Pull's stiff but not overly so.

DSC00805.jpg

I think I'll be getting a few more.... :D
This one is too cool! I love the style of the blade with the swedge and long nail nick.
I also like the sawcut goldenrod. Thats a great looking little knife as well. I'll get some pics of mine posted later today.

Its great that you found how to open it Pert!! Maybe I need to get a 2 blade #25 to learn myself?:D

Thanks. I'm currently puzzled, however, because my success seems to be short-lived, or at least sporadic. This points to there still being removable grit where the bottom of the tang contacts the backspring. Or something. More research is indicated. Even so, the hold-at-the-bottom thing is valuable knowledge, and holds me in good stead with the main blade on my most-recently replicated 25 (see below).

You're teasing us again, P! :p

Well, I'm understandably hesitant to reveal how close I am to perfecting my Pocket Knife Replicator, by which I am able to select knives on my computer screen and reproduce them right here in front of me.

Hmmm, now what could that one be? Threaded bolsters, a Tidioute perhaps??? :thumbup:

IMG_2284.jpg

Could be. ;)

~ P.

Wow, are those great pictures. Great subjects, too!

(Zippofan, you may be off the hook.)

(On further reflection, nah, you still need to take pictures.)

Glocktenman, I don't know if a river blue one is (still) among those you mentioned earlier, but I just found this thread from you received one, and your pictures and description add even better perspective. I had no idea the ridges were that high!

Charlie (?-- Waynorth), I haven't seen that jigging elsewhere. It's a looker for sure, the right kind of rustic that goes perfectly on the knife, especially against the dark red bone.

~ P.
~P,

Yes it's still one of my two. The ridges are high and if you look at it from the side it looks just like the river or ocean when it's real choppy. GEC did a great job on the jigging based upon the name of it.

Oh yeah, nice Barlow!

I don't know what took me so long to order one. I've had my other #25's for at least a month! :D

Great pic too! I'm getting ready to do a little photography today and the sun is cooperating so I should get something at least sorta viewable.

Those are great! I love the "rapids," as you described them so well.

I think the "J" simply stands for "Jack," but have no idea why the one knife received that designation and the other didn't.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

~ P.

Back