GEC #35 Churchill Thread

Ha! I made it almost 24 hours before tinkering with it! :p
The sheepfoot blade wasn't terribly high, but as I said, it hit at just the wrong spot on the inside of my knuckle, so I took a needle file to the kick. When closed, the backspring now sits 1/10th of a millimeter lower- I can feel it with my nail if I'm feeling for it, but I've had knives that came worse than that from the manufacturer, and it's so much more comfortable now in hand. It's too dark for pictures now, but here's one I took in progress:
View attachment 817701

Here's a tip: I put a piece of oil soaked tissue in the well near the joint, pulling it out each time I closed the blade to check the height, then replacing it with a fresh one. That's to keep any metal dust from getting into the works. ;)

I think making the knife suit your hand is a great idea - nice going Rachel! I do the same thing when necessary. Great tip on the oily tissue - saves the machinery!!:thumbsup:
I've had to clean out a lot of filings in the past.:oops:

Santa picked me out another 35 Churchill in Sambar Stag for Christmas! ;) I'm thinking it may be my favorite of the 3 Stags I have! :D
38705115244_2b94f4d80a_b.jpg

38705115134_4d1edde1c6_b.jpg

38705115014_5c99d76d48_b.jpg

Had mine for about a week now. What a great knife. It's my first hotdog shield and I like it. Very classic look. I always thought of it as a keyhole shield myself with the "official" keyhole shield being a cloud shield in my mind. I did find it odd the shield was not centered like mentioned before, but it gives it a unique look especially since I have the #10 HJ so it sets the two apart. Really glad I pulled the trigger.

NWFbvwB.jpg

Bxssbog.jpg

Very good example you have Chris:thumbsup:

I like the non centre shield actually, I think it is pointed up there towards the Master blade and it's good to have a variety. Symmetry can become tedious...;)

Thanks, Will

My first day carrying the Churchill. Also, my first yellow rose, which I decided to pick up in memory of Grandma Rose. I'm not really a cigar pattern fan, so I'm hoping to be surprised as I put it through the paces.

View attachment 819978
Santa picked me out another 35 Churchill in Sambar Stag for Christmas! ;) I'm thinking it may be my favorite of the 3 Stags I have! :D
38705115244_2b94f4d80a_b.jpg

38705115134_4d1edde1c6_b.jpg

38705115014_5c99d76d48_b.jpg
Had mine for about a week now. What a great knife. It's my first hotdog shield and I like it. Very classic look. I always thought of it as a keyhole shield myself with the "official" keyhole shield being a cloud shield in my mind. I did find it odd the shield was not centered like mentioned before, but it gives it a unique look especially since I have the #10 HJ so it sets the two apart. Really glad I pulled the trigger.

NWFbvwB.jpg

Bxssbog.jpg
Mike, Ron, Jerry and Chris, ALL great representations of the pattern:cool::thumbsup:

A somewhat failed experiment, my Blue-gar Clawed Bone:
IMG_6622.jpg
Didn't take to the denim dye quite as well as I had hoped, but there are hints of blue around the edges.

Last edited:
What is everyone’s main use of the secondary blade, and how often do you use it?

I have a 35 coming and can’t wait. Will post when it arrives (scheduled for tomorrow).

What is everyone’s main use of the secondary blade, and how often do you use it?

I have a 35 coming and can’t wait. Will post when it arrives (scheduled for tomorrow).
Opening a box every now and then.

I've actually used mine more than I expected considering that I have to use a company approved utility knife at work. Because of that, my knives don't see anywhere near as much use as they did before that rule was implemented.

I found myself using my Churchill more than normal because of all the boxes associated with Christmas gifts but now it's back to just sitting in my pocket more than anything else.

Reactions: BP_

Opening boxes, packaging, and letters. I’d use it for a splinter but I haven’t had the chance yet

Reactions: BP_

Cutting strips of cardboard, nylon strapping, zip ties, tape, and breaking down boxes. I work in a warehouse/production environment so it sees the duties that are normally the realm of a utility knife, and does very well.
There are utility knives everywhere at my job, but I choose to use my pocket knife for fun mostly.

A somewhat failed experiment, my Blue-gar Clawed Bone:
View attachment 823297
Didn't take to the denim dye quite as well as I had hoped, but there are hints of blue around the edges.
Did you happen to use Rit? My experience with it has been less than satisfactory in most cases. Bone usually takes it quite well, but the colors never come out the way you expect. All my experiments end up being black in the end :rolleyes:

Not always a bad thing though, I love my black jigged Texas Jack, despite that I originally wanted to simply age the amber bone just a bit.

Back