GEC 38 English Whittler 2021

Elgatodeacero

Gold Member
I could not find a thread for this run, so I will go first. Can’t recall a time when a thread was not started almost as soon as a run was announced, so you people are getting a little sloppy!

Happy Easter to all, and a fitting picture of a bloodwood knife for this day.

upload_2021-4-4_5-0-27.jpeg

I could not find a thread for this run, so I will go first. Can’t recall a time when a thread was not started almost as soon as a run was announced, so you people are getting a little sloppy!

Happy Easter to all, and a fitting picture of a bloodwood knife for this day.

View attachment 1539823
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Your bloodwood looks gorgeous, almost as good looking as mine :p.
View attachment 1539840

0f69HSQ.jpg

Nice guys, dang I missed getting one of those!
G2

That pattern looks like it will make an excellent whittler for those who actually whittle wood. I have been playing around with whittling lately (I am not very experienced at all) but read a few reviews on the 62 whittlers...but this handle (38) looks awesome for longer whittling sessions. I really like it. And I am not a wood handle guy...but wood handles on a whittler seem perfect. Can’t wait to see the bone.

Producing slipjoints with relatively flat parts to the tolerances GEC obtains is no easy task. Producing split back whittlers with all those angles to the tolerances GEC obtains is impressive to say the least. Pulls on the secondaries are both a perfect 4, small blades don't need a strong pull. I rate the main a 5, no halfstop and this is before flushing. Am a wharncliffe fan, glad to see it as a main. In the open position your index finger fits in the curve of the tang and curve of the bolster without hitting sharp edges when gripping. The bloodwood on my example doesn't have much chatoyance but has nice color. Fit and finish is excellent, shield looks great. Some folks have reported a proud splitback on the thin end, mine doesn't have that issue. Great job GEC.

GEC38bloodwood-1.jpg

GEC38bloodwood-2.jpg

GEC38bloodwood-3.jpg

I'm not typically one to sharpen a knife upon arrival, I like to carry it a bit and then decide what I want out of the knife or blade. On this one, I knew what I wanted when it was put on the production schedule.;) So when it arrived today (worth the wait) I took some time to reprofile the edge on every blade to my carving preference. It already looks at home in the shop, don't you think?
hKUsEbX.jpg

I'm not typically one to sharpen a knife upon arrival, I like to carry it a bit and then decide what I want out of the knife or blade. On this one, I knew what I wanted when it was put on the production schedule.;) So when it arrived today (worth the wait) I took some time to reprofile the edge on every blade to my carving preference. It already looks at home in the shop, don't you think?
hKUsEbX.jpg
What did you do?

Y
You sir are an artist and then some!

Back